Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

submission results win some-lose some

Out of nine coins 1 winner 1 good one 1 ok one 1 so so and 5 dogs. I just can't get a nice Ike coin.
76s clad type 2 Ike pr68 (dog)
76d type 2 Ike ms64 (dog)
76d type 2 Ike ms64 (dog)
76p type 2 Ike ms64 (dog)
72 d kennedy ms64 (dog)
72 p kennedy ms65 (so-so)
89p kennedy ms66 (ok)
66 sms kennedy ms67 (good)
76s clad kennedy pr69dcam.. (winner)
kind of a break even submission
The Ikes were all from mint sets, except the proof, which i thought would be at least a cam designation.
I just dont understand Ikes

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    At least you got the winner & the good in the batch. Always fun seeing results!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I like dogs. image They would fit right in with our 3 dogs. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beth,
    They probably don't have a pedigree...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    On the upside, it only took 10 days to grade this submission.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Could you post a scan of the ms Ikes? I have a few I want to submit, but not if they're gonna get hammered like that!

Thanks for posting the results. I always enjoy seeing other's submission results here. image
  • Options
    I will post when they get back, it usually takes 10 days to return from California to Tennessee.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you'll offer the 89-P Kennedy for sale?

peacockcoins

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Presley,

Don't be too disappointed with your results. Putting those Ike grades in perspective is important. Obviously you thought they were nice coins, nice enough to submit. I have no doubt they are nice. Ikes are funny. The surfaces of the planchets can look bad even when the coins are mark free. Luster and strike are very important, and stand-out coins are not common. If you look at the pops, say for 76P T1, you'll see how few ever grade above MS66. MS64 simply isn't a poor result IMO. With a coin the size of an Ike, minimally marked coins are fairly uncommon even from well stored mint sets. Finding unmarked coins on nice planchets is very difficult. Your 64's probably aren't very valuable now, but if you like Ikes, odds are you'll like them anyway. I don't worry about the current resale price of my collection. I figure by the time I sell them, they'll be more appreciated by the market, especially if I choose good looking coins. I'd bet there are a few collectors out there who are very happy they kept their 34S Peace dollars that looked 65 but graded "only" 64.image

BTW - Here's my latest group. Hope this cheers you up! They graded as expected.image

PCGS Order Status for Invoice # 9000182

LINE # CERT # COIN DATE DENOMINATION VARIETY GRADE
    1 30022457 1977 $1 MS64
    2 30022458 1978-D $1 MS65
    3 30022459 1978 $1 MS64
    4 30022460 1976-S S$1 Silver MS65
    5 30022461 1974-S S$1 Silver MS66
    6 30022462 1973-D $1 MS64
    7 30022463 1972-S S$1 Silver MS66
    8 30022464 1974 $1 MS64
    9 30022465 1974-D $1 MS65
    10 30022466 1980-D SBA$ MS66

Date Received: 10/07/2002
    Date Shipped: 10/18/2002
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options

Don, I see you got hung up on ms64 Ikes too. I think part of the problem is that the silver ms ikes look so much better than the clads that they influence the graders to downgrade the clads. I searched through about 25 Ikes to get those ms64s. The real suprise was the proof Ike that didn't even get cameo. I've got another set of Ikes ready to go, They look pretty darn good to me, but I was hoping for ms65 on the last ones too. You should be proud that you got a couple ms65s. congrats.

Braddick, I am going to hang on to the Kennedys for a while. I am working on Ikes and Kennedys in ms and proof. I have a long way to go.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey presley

put your results to good use and wait until you have them back before you submit the next coins. simply don't submit a coin unless it is better than all of those 64's. i try to improve on each submission and i have a 6 coin lot ready to send next week. one jefferson, 3 washingtons, a kennedy and an ike. it might sound sacreligious but i'll let PCGS "teach" me how to grade.image

al h.image

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    presleyh, Sounds like a winning game plan.
    Just know that the 89-P in MS66 is one tough coin. I don't know why- they just are hard to make and even tougher to locate when one is.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Braddick, the 89p Kennedy just really looked good. What suprised me was the 76 Kennedy proof, I didnt realize it was as scarce as it is in 69 dcam.
    Keets, I've got about 30 pcgs Ikes ranging from ms 63 to ms 67. Even under magnification the ones I sent in looked really good to me. Sometimes I think the graders look at the price jump and grade it one point less. I dont mind taking a chance on 8 or 10 coins at a time. I try to throw in a few dcam proofs to rationalize me expenditures. If i get one or two 50 dollar coins per submission, I dont feel so bad when the others crash and burn.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file