Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The story of the 1891 dollar....A sad tale

About 10 years ago, I won 6 1891 P Morgans in a State of Texas Unclaimed Property auction. 5 of them were just OK, but one was a VAM 2 and looked MS64 to me. A local coin dealer also thought it stood a chance at 64 so we sent it in.
We sent it to NGC and it came back MS62 without the VAM designation.
Not satisfied with that, I cracked it out and sent it to PCI, back when they were pretty good....MS63.
I sent it back to NGC for crossover and VAM2 designation, they crossed it at MS63 but again, did not give it the VAM2 designation.
I sent it back again for the VAM and finally got my MS63, VAM2, Top 100, DDO designation.
So a few weeks ago, I was looking at this coin I have had for 10 years and still not believing it to be ONLY MS63. I cracked it out again and off it went to PCGS for a true test.
Just got the results.......

BODY BAG for CLEANING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I NEVER TOUCHED THE COIN, the State of Texas had it for years and no telling how long it had sat in the unclaimed safety deposit box. The dealer I submitted it through did not see a cleaning, NGC looked at it 3 times and didn't see the cleaning, PCI looked at the coin and didn't see any cleaning, but the EXPERTS at PCGS SEE A CLEANING!
I have looked at the coin for 10 years and it has never been cleaned. There were 1000 silver dollars in that auction, all original.
I will resubmit it with my next group. I think they blew the call on this one!

Comments

• Options
    ouch. Any chance of talking w/ PCGS to find out why they thought it was cleaned?

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just working on the profit margin.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Your the the third person to post this week about getting a bb for cleaning on coins that do not seem to have been cleaned image

Cleaned 1

Cleaned 2
  • Options
    I guess the punch line here is that I also submitted a 1967 SMS Kennedy in the same group I thought would get at least a CAMEO.
    It was cleaned!
    It had haze on it when I broke it out, so I dipped it in a 50% Jewelluster, 50% water solution and then a good soaking in alcohol.
    It made MS66 but, alas, not even a CAM.
  • Options

<< <i>I will resubmit it with my next group. >>

So they took your money and BBd it. Now you will send them MORE money to maybe do it again. What was wrong with the NGC holder? Send it back to NGC.
  • Options
    I only paid $20 for the coin in the first place and I'm a member of the Collectors Club so the submission cost isn't prohibitive, so why not experiment with the experts. When it comes back the next time graded, I will post the next chapter of the story.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It aint the mustache die state is it? That's a real good one.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Oh, how I wish she had a moustache, but, alas, no facial hair, only double hairline and ear lobe.
  • Options
    That is what a cursory 15 second analysis of the coin will get you. Now, if you get a totally different result from resubmitting, then it further proves that the "experts" are full of it...... ......
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    I hope you are keeping a paperwork trail, and if it gets into a PCGS slab (don't know if you will get the VAM and Top100 designation, and of course that is an extra $5) I would demand compensation.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    you probably interrupted a grader's lunch with it. it takes only 5 secs to throw it in a bodybag while it takes nearly 20 seconds to actually grade it. what do you expect for your $29, 20 full seconds of work?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file