Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ultra superb gem proof extraordinarly toned indian cent

this 1884 indian cent currently resides in an ngc proof67 red brown holder and is A NO BRAINER 68 COIN!!!!!!!!! any day of the week!
absolutely no spots carbon or stains no discoloration hairlines nicks marks at all!

now here is an undergraded ngc proof indian cent! the coin has super deep mirrors and is original mint tissue toned with wonderful iridescence and rings of color from the edges to the centers of the coin both sides with precious little tan/brown color.

this coin is from a horde of proof indian cents left over from the mint in philly and they were sold wholesale in bulk in masse so to speak to proskey and other dealers and wayte raymond and pukall still had these coins in their original mint wrappers into the early 1950's!!

usually most all were mostly brown with iridescent highlights. this coin is a major exception to the rule and has little brown! this coin if sight seen has the "look" and surfaces of a 68 easy and the scan doesnot capture this.

i have also seen these 1884 coins within the last year 3 that are certified from the same horde!! but they are nowhere near as nice as this coin! the coins i saw within the last year were mostly brown and at best neutral in eye appeal. in my opinion this present coin shown in the scan would get a star designation at ngc if resubmitted for designation review!!

this coin is perfect red brown with perfect virgin surfaces and if seen in person then you can see what i am talking about. the scuff marks are on the holder and in person the mirrors are monster deep and the coin IS A CAMEO PLUS coin. but with a red brown coin this designation will never get on the holder
but who cares!
it is still a deeply mirrored cameo plus coin both sides!

this coin currently resides in an eastern collection and the above is my own opinion of the coin which i have seen in person

sincerely michael

p.s. a huge special thanks to brian itsnotjustme!!!!!! for the reformatting and photo help as without him there would be no thread as there would be no photo to post!

Comments

• Options
    Michael,

This is a really superb proof. I love the way it has toned and I really love the contrast between the frosted devices and the mirrored fields. Thanks for always posting such great coins.

Mike
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is sweet. Love the color on this piece. Also, I can tell the mirrors are deep on this one. Very pristine surfaces.

Stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    It's funny. I have some mint state IHC's with color like that, that get bagged every time I try to get them holdered. Nice coin Michael.......AGAIN!!
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    hi there thanks for the responses.

and BigD5! the toned man! think about this...
    i am sure there are many that are "like" and similar to this coin,

BUT not even close............

there are some coins that are great monsters and many many others that come close very close but just do not make it so to speak and the differences between them even though close is still a huge difference. i guess it is hard to explain but in person this can be seen.

the boards here are great!! but still not like sight seen and talking in person that is why major shows no matter how technology advanced we become will never go out of style!!!!!!!!!

the photo doesnot show the rings of three different shades of color from the rims to the centers both sides and the other nuances that screams! this coins originality

also maybe the coins you do submit are original but as grading is an art not a science and they still get bagged?

sincerely michael
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file