Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan's question answered: Earliest dated coin.

Earliest dated coin is a Julius Caesar Ides of March denarius, there is a similar Brutus obv. with
a dagger and cap reverse. Ides of Mar is clearly spelled out in Latin with most citizens of Rome
relating it directly to 44BC. Therefore the Guiness Book of World Record is incorrect. A date does
not have to be numerical, it can be spelled out, such as "Ide Mar". This is technically a date. I hate to be a purist. ( I really love to.).

Brian.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Didn't you just post this in his thread?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I did, thought it needed more exposure, since Dan posted a great question.

Brian.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    So, if you concede that a date doesn't have to be expressed numerically, then why is Russ's answer incorrect? I am not debating you, I just applied the same logic to his particular answer, and it sounds like the coin he mentioned is dated "A" for a year (and of course had to be researched for the specific year) and yours is date Mar 15 (again the year had to be corresponded). Is his year 494BC a typo, because that sounds a lot earlier than 44BC.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Earliest dated coin is a Julius Caesar Ides of March denarius, there is a similar Brutus obv. with a dagger and cap reverse. Ides of Mar is clearly spelled out in Latin with most citizens of Rome relating it directly to 44BC. Therefore the Guiness Book of World Record is incorrect. A date does not have to be numerical, it can be spelled out, such as "Ide Mar". This is technically a date. I hate to be a purist. ( I really love to.). Brian. >>

How can you be certain that this coin was really made in BC44? Isn't there at least some doubt that it could have been a released to coincide with the ides of march in a later year as a commemorative issue?
  • Options
    Lanlord:
    Nobody can be sure that the coin was made in 44bc, just like nobody is sure when certain 1804
    Bust dollars were struck as well as other US Federal coinage restrikes. Yet, we date them accordingly.
    My response was not to say that anyone was wrong, but rather to offer an interesting alternative.

Brian.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Excuse me,

I'm trying too learn something here. Can you at least act like I asked you a question? Really wingedliberty; sounds like you're into ancients, something which I know nothing about. I bought your "purist" explanation and would like to know why you don't view the other example in the same light.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Actually the earliest dated coin was found in Jordan and auctioned off for $5,000,000.

The buyer became suspicious however, when he noticed the date on it was 14 B.C.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file