Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

are these ok for storing coins?

I put all my coins in 2x2's and they stay in them for a long time and i was wondering if these would be ok for long time storage? Also is there anything better out there? I keep my coins in 3 ring binders so i can look at them alot.

link

Comments

• Options
    I would recommend PCGS and NGC capsules for all your coins valued over $25 and Intercept shield
    and/or NGC (new boxes) slab storage systems. Cardboard 2x2 holders contain sulfur and other
    gaseous substances that will eventually destroy your coins. My motto is quality over quantity.

Brian.
  • Options
    If you wipe off the dust and and seal the coin between the mylar sheets how will the cardboards sulpher get to the coin ? I am currently selling some coins for someone else that have been stored in 2x2's for many years and the only problems are where the 2x2's mylar had pin holes. The coins toned around the pin holes but nowhere else.
  • Options
    I use Intercept Shield to hold the coins.
    Link

Then I put the Intercept Shield holders in these:
    Link
    Sets Complete:
    Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
    Roosevelt Dime
    1900 - Current Type, No Gold
    Silver Eagle
  • Options
    I agree with Ivan about the intercept shields. I also like the NGC hard plastic slab boxes.

Brian.
  • Options
    I reccomend Kointains. After the coin is placed in the inert holder, the coins can be stapled into 2x2 for safe and long term enjoyment
    Take a Look at My Auctions TOO My Auctions
  • Options
    I put all raw coins of value in AIRTITES and press into cards that fit in storage boxes! You can get everything you need here.
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Being around paper isn't good for them but 2x2s are good for a longer time than 2x2 flips. I've noticed that if I put a rubberband around a stack of 2x2s the chemicals in the rubberband bleed thru the mylar & leave a black stripe on the coin.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    The staple kind of 2x2 paper holders are fine. The mylar is between the coin and paper. I've got a dipped bust half that's been in one for 20+ years and it's still 100% blast white. You could accidentally scratch a coin with a staple though. And they do tend to bunch-up around the staples over time, letting air in. So you still need to check them periodically. The self-seal 2x2's have the plastic on the outside, so the coin is next to both paper and glue. The hard plastic ones are probably best, like Whitman's double seal or Intercept Shield's, but they're expensive and won't fit in album pages.

And what dog said about flips and rubber bands, I only use them for submitting to PCGS image hehe
  • Options
    ditto the airtites and jpscorner.com. I tend to put almost everything into one of them, even one mint set per year. The nice coins I put into the storage boxes, and the mint set and other coins just throw them into a huge jar. Maybe my great grandkids one day will discover that airtites really helped keep a red lincoln red.
  • Options
    If you use the 2x2's that you staple, a good idea would be to crimp the staples down with pliers or some such something similar. It will reduce the chances of scratching the coins. image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would recommend PCGS and NGC capsules for all your coins valued over $25 >>

wingedliberty, please justify the $20 expense to get a $25 coin slabbed! i honestly do not understand your statement!

2x2's work just fine. valuable suggestion: use canned air to blow the dust particles, etc. off the 2x2 & the coin prior to putting it in. trust me on this, you will save yourself heartache down the road if you plan to keep the coins for a while. those little particles & such can cause spots & carbon spots, etc. caution: if you do this, hold the can strictly upright, otherwise the frozen air may shoot out & land on the coin!

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file