Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about a price discrepancy re: slabbed 1864 two cent pieces.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
I snagged this PCGS MS62 RB for $91.

Yet, this NGC MS61 BN just went for $127.

Mine is a point higher, and has a better designation. Shouldn't the one that I bought be worth more? Did I miss something in my coin and screw up on this one? Or, did I get lucky (hope)?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    You got a better deal. Maybe it got more bids because the seller dosen't accept paypal fro credit cards.
  • Options
    It beats me. I thought PCGS usually listed on the 1864 two cent pieces whether they were Large Motto or Small Motto. Seeing that it doesn't have it listed, it's probably the Large Motto. I personally like your coin better!image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    Russky:

I've seen that happen several times on Ebay - people bid like crazy one week and then poof - nothing the next week. I picked up a 1949D MS65FBL for $600 (much better than the one I thought I got at a bargain at $860) when on the whole, they go for at least $1000. Go figure!

Frank
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Russ, don't know the series at all, but the NGC coin appears to have a die crack on the reverse, maybe that makes it more collectible to some collectors.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, are you going to confuse us all when the next newbie joins up and ask," Got 2 cent pieces?"image
  • Options
    Yeah... he's given up on JFK's because he knows I'm on it. Otherwise - he'd still be rocking and rolling. imageimageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    LanLord,

No more than I'm already confusing myself.image I'm thinking about selling all my Kennedy proofs and buying two cent pieces.

JUST KIDDING!image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, are you going to confuse us all when the next newbie joins up and ask," Got 2 cent pieces?"image >>

It's "got proof 2cs?" image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

<< <i>I snagged this PCGS MS62 RB for $91.

Yet, this NGC MS61 BN just went for $127.

Mine is a point higher, and has a better designation. Shouldn't the one that I bought be worth more? Did I miss something in my coin and screw up on this one? Or, did I get lucky (hope)?

Russ, NCNE >>

.........russ from what i can see you got the better coin , hands down, and at a better price. the other coin looked like it was streaky in color. good deal.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    2 possiblities, one reasonable, the other just plain crazy

1) frank leone is a terrific seller. have bought from the guy for years, have had no disappointments so far. don't know anything about the other seller

2) call me crazy, but there are actually a lot of collectors who PREFER brown coins to RB's, myself included. i prefer an overall evenly colored brown coin to one that may not be evenly colored. call me crazy.

one other possiblity is that the RB coin was dipped and has just retoned. in such a case, i would unquestionably take an original BROWN coin.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file