Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The continuing saga of the counterfeit $3 gold coin

Hi, Again! It's me, with the fake coin!

Here is the last thread with a link to the original thread.

I need your help! Especially people who have been collecting since at least the early '80s. As I mentioned in my previous threads, I did a search for Paul Sims Coins. Every link to "Paul Sims Coins" in numerous lists of US dealers, as well as the first link when I do my search ifor "Paul Sims Coins" is for this site.

So, I wrote a letter to the address in that site explaining the situation and asking for a replacement coin. I got a hand-written letter back, unsigned, saying the following:

"Karen ___,

I don't know why you sent me info about an illegal sale of a fake coin. I did not sell it--have never heard of you or your father--and I am in no way connected to the dealer (who is not even from the state I am) who sold this. I am not connected with the Secret Service who handle fakes or in any way involved at any time with this whole situation. I wish you good luck in resolving your problem but it does not involve me and am only sending a response so you can look elsewhere settling this."
(no signature, only a stamp with the name and address of the store)

OK, friends, please help! If this isn't Paul Sims Coins, the same Paul Sims who sold this coin, where can I find them?? Why is my search for Paul Sims Coins pointing to this guy, and is there more than one coin dealer in the US who goes by the name Paul Sims? Am I way off base? I do NOT want to smear this guy at all if he is the wrong guy. I am just trying to find some justice in this matter.

Who can help me?
THANKS!

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The Paul Sims that's in CoinWorld is:

Paul Sims, Inc.
    11260 Patterson Avenue
    Richmond VA 23233

P.O. Box 29249
    Richmond VA 23242
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could help you with your situation but I can't. Good luck though.
  • Options
    Dog, thanks for the info. Why the heck does an internet search turn up something completely different??

Hmmmm... thanks. Now I am totally embarrassed and will send a new letter to the proper people.

• Options
    CD:

It seems to me that legally, without a sales receipt you're headed for a losing battle. Even IF you had a receipt, I think most coin deals, rely on both the buyer and the seller making a judgement call on a particular coin. Suppose that you do find the dealer who sold your dad the coin, and he has proof that it was part of a larger purchase and this happened to be the only counterfit? What then? Unfortunately I think in this case you have to chalk this one up to experience. One last thought comes to mind which is insurance. If your dad had insured his coins, would there possibly be anything protecting him against this type of occurrence. It's doubtful, but perhaps worth investigating. It would seem more promissing than finding a dealer that most likely has no clue or proof of the transaction.

Best regards, and I'm sorry again :[

Frank
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The Paul Sims you're looking for must not have a website.
    How bout some numbers?
    1-800-368-3039
    Local 521-2884
    Fax 804-521-2885
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Frank:
    I do have a sales reciept. This was the only $3 gold coin he bought and sold no coins. I know it may not be a winning battle, but I want to try getting redress!

And I wonder: why does a search for Paul Sims get me to this other guy??
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    CD,

At the very least, that domain name was at one time Paul Sims, Inc. - very recently. I'd specifically ask the current occupant if he purchased the name from Sims. Current ownership:

Registrant:
    Peter Black (RARECOIN2-DOM)
    188 Gold Street
    North Arlington, NJ 07031

Administrative Contact:
    Peter, Black (BP3444) tara1@IX.NETCOM.COM
    Nexcite Design
    88 gold street
    88 gold street
    North Arlington, NJ 07031
    201-991-5916 (FAX) 201-991-6063
    Technical Contact:
    C I Host (NO324-ORG) NETWORKSOLUTIONS@CIHOST.COM
    C I Host
    1851 Central Drive Suite 110
    Bedford, TX 76021
    US
    888-868-9931 fax: 888-242-7554

Record expires on 20-Feb-2003.
    Record created on 20-Feb-1998.
    Database last updated on 30-Sep-2002 21:10:30 EDT.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Whoa, Russ, you are good! Thanks a heap!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Russ, could the whois record have been changed because Sims moved to a different hosting service?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Kranky,

Only the technical contact info would change. Registrant info would remain the same.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    CD

To save some time call the 800 number DOG posted. Ask to talk to the owner or person in charge. Explain the situation stressing that their policy states "All coins guaranteed genuine." They later say that coins removed from original holders are considered sold, however this should not apply the sale of a counterfeit.

If nothing can be resolved over the phone follow up with a letter, a copy of the receipt and a copy of the ANACS report. If you still get nowhere, they are a member of the ANA and they have a grievence review process. I will find out how that works tomorrow.

Do not imply that Sims intentionally sold a fake. Even with his rep I am sure it was not intentional. There are very convincing fakes out there (as you well know).
    Good luck

Dave
  • Options
    Thanks, Dave. I am not assuming that they knew the coin was a fake. But even if they didn't know, the situation remains the same. Thanks for the tips. I'll be back with another report...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file