Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

SHOW DOWN and more

Hi guys and gals
how about a type set show down or a franklin showdown maybe a Mercury showdown some great coins will be shared, what a thrill to see those IHC some of the best and amoung the finest.Simply put seeing coins of this pristine grade is awesome a joy!!!!! nice seeing some of the board members real COINS guys

WANTED a 1943 AU or better double die (11-O-1)

ZAPS COINS
Bob
PS
SLK,wondercoin are the best oh where oh where is John B gone
collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob: The Showdown was really neat. And, as you recall, we spoke at the show regarding a possible showdown of MS Wash quarters collections next year. I also suggested you consider displaying your amazing collection of Wash quarter varieties you have assembled over the past many years/decades.

Maybe next Feb Long Beach or June Long Beach, if the #1 and #2 MS Wash quarter sets were agreeable, I could present an unregistered set of PCGS MS Wash quarters as the 3rd set in the exhibit and we could have some "showdown" fun. image Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Must they always be held on the Left Coast? image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    << Must they always be held on the Left Coast? >>

YES!!!

West Coast is better than East Coast!!!

(*attempts to flash the 'west side' gang sign*)
  • Options
    Mitch....

That would be pretty cool to see the MS Statehood Quarter showdown!!!

Rick
    A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).
  • Options
    Rick: I am not sure everyone is really ready to present (3) world class clad quarters set 1965 - date (including state quarters). That is probably a few years away. For now, I would suspect a Wash quarter showdown would need to be 1932-64, although if folks wanted it 1932 to date showdown, I could probably still bring a complete set as the thrid set. But, I am not sure the MS top silver quarter guys are "up to speed" on the clad coins at this time.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wondercoin: A friend of mine still has 2 $1000 mint bags of 1983-P quarters and he is slowly weakening on letting me get my hands on them. The problem is the prices are getting way past non affordable.

I still need some nice 1983-P quarters for my set and hope to pounce on them within 5 years.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    "I still need some nice 1983-P quarters for my set and hope to pounce on them within 5 years."

Oreville: If you are asking to delay the showdown for 5 years, I'm not sure if I can put it off that long image

Looks like those (2) bags of quarters might be worth around 1/8 million dollars today - right? WOW - who would have guessed less than 20 years ago! Wondercoin

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wondercoin: Don't remind me about the 1/8 million!!

One of those bags could have been mine. But I declined paying the $1,000 in 1983 since I was not yet ready to assert myself in my new marriage and the wife would have vetoed me. Since then, she has seen the errors of her ways. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Have any of you guys contacted B.J. Searls regarding your Washington Quarter "Showdown" ? I am sure there will be a waiting list for future "Showdowns" given the BUZZ that is going down.

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart: It is my impression that the top MS silver Wash quarter collectors are a more "private" bunch than say the Indian cent guys or Mercury Dime guys, etc.

If something is able to be put together, I suspect it may be with an anonomous #1 PCGS Registry participant, which is no big deal of course as this is about the coins and not the personalities. But, unlike how your Indian Cent showdown started (with a simple "challenge"), I would be quite surprised to see that method employed with the MS silver quarters.

Wondercoin.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch - Are you saying you're a private collector unlike myself and the other Indian cent collectors ?I don't think you knew anyone who collected Indian cents before the showdown.Are you saying Joshua is not a private collector ? Are you saying that I didn't know Bob Z collected Washington quarters ?

HELLLOOOOOO !!!!!!
  • Options
    Stewart: I am not saying any of that.

What I am saying is I am not sure current #1 has any interest in participating in a Showdown at this time (issuing a challenge will likely not motivate him best I know). So, I plan on broaching the subject with him in due course.

No doubt you are equally private about your business. image

Wondercoin

P.S. As you do know Bob Z, then you know his variety collection is an ICG set.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    High grade Indian cent collectors are about as private as they come, and it took a collector of Stewart's reputation & initiative to draw a couple of them out of the woodwook. He got the competitive fires burning in two collectors with world class sets, one of whom just started listing some of his coins on the registry, the other actually brought all his coins to the Showdown for comparison. Both of these guys have been collecting for years, have exceptional coins, and until now shared them with a select few. As one who thinks all great coins should be shared, I thought this was where the Showdown really succeeded. Maybe this was a unique situation, but under similar circumstances I can't see why this couldn't get the same response in other series.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have to jump in here."The West coast is better than East Coast".I don't think so.I believe a showdown of any series would go over big on the East coast,because there are more collectors on the East Coast.image So There!image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I've spent 50+ years living in the Midwest, but been to both coasts many times. No comparison, East Coast has more going for it.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    East Coast vs. West Coast???? Are gangsta rappers collecting coins now??? Somebody's going to get shot I can tell already . . . .

I would like to see at least a "major" showdown at each of the big shows. I like seeing fine coins, even if it is not a set I personally collect. PCGS could always have a few short sets along with it, such as Early Lincoln Proofs, which Stewart and I discussed. I think it would be quite a draw and good for the hobby.

I haven't bought an Indian Cent in years, and after the showdown, I could sense a desire to get back into that series someday. I have a couple of nice MS Indians, and a full set of circulated I collected years ago, so I have some feelings for them. I can only imagine what other passersby thought when they saw those fanastic Indians.

Forget the side benefits to PCGS and the collectors themselves, the best thing about the showdown in my opinion was the interest generated for the series and the hobby. I hope to see it as a routine part of shows.

Doug
  • Options
    Hey Mitch,

I, for one, would love to see a Washington "Showdown"! image It would be great to see them, and to talk with other "Washington heads"! image

Long Beach would be fine. It would be a great incentive for me to finally make it down there for a show. I could even bring some of my best to compare ('though some of my best are from you, and I'm sure that your's are nicer! LOL ) image

Doug,

You said it all!!! image

As for east coast versus west; I lived on the east coast for 33 years and now on the west for 21.
    Came out here 'cause some "poet" said that "the West was THE Best! image

Don

MS68 Washingtons, and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    How about real coins - like Walkers maybe?imageimage
  • Options
    "How about real coins - like Walkers maybe?"

You mean real{ly overpriced} coins, like Walkers?
    image Hey, why not

Wondercoin.