Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anybody ever seen a worn Lincoln Memorial cent?

clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
Do these things even circulate long enough to reach VG or lower?

Comments

• they end up in a change jar because no 1 uses them... i have not seen anything lower than F
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen FR wheaties... I'm sure Braddick has "made" a PO-01 (PQ, of course!) Memorial cent...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • That's an awesome Braddick coin, Dog!image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a Braddick coin... it's MS...

It's gotta be a capped or filled die/strike through... too red to be worn at any level.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I see vertical marks on the coin, it was probably worn down with a belt sander.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Back in the dusky 50s, (i guess a penny was worth enough to circulate back then) it wasn't unusual to see penneys worn down to unreadable conditions. We used to sell coke bottles for 3 cents and buy cookies 2 for a penny from a big jar on the counter at the little store on the corner. Pennies were actually legal tender back then.
  • It looks like it has had a pencil eraser used on it. Please tell me you didn't spend weeks erasing that cent down to that. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • struck through cloth thats why u see the lines.... am i right?

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found, what I thought was a GD04, maybe VG08 1970-S (Large Date) Memorial about a year or so ago.
    It was in a Dansco at the Carlsbad coin shop. I think I paid like .15 cents for it.
    I did pay another $8. and had it graded via PCI.
    They returned my beautiful GD04 coin back as a VF20 "Weak Strike".
    What?!
    -I ended up selling it on eBay for something like $2.
    I'd have much rather had a GD04 than a "weak strike".

peacockcoins

• A belt sander would've left alot of zink exposed. Looks like a struck through greese to me or a die trial strike. But I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't been watching these threads for about a year before I figured out how to post here.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Airplanenut & Klectorkid busted me!! I trolled the thread with a Mint State struck thru cloth penny. The lines are textile patterns imprinted on the coin.
    On a serious note you won't see post 82s WORN that much because the inner zinc core will be exposed and the coin will be culled from circulaton as unservicable. I have never seen a Lincoln Memorial in VG or lower but they gotta be out there.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • I'll be sending Braddick a wheatie that's P1-F2 here in the next day or two--i hope he has it graded so we can find out!!!!

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • They are indeed out there. There's not a lot, but I've seen a few. image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the early 70's it was not unusual to see an old memorial cent worn
    down to F or VF, or even VG on rare occasion. The cent has an extremely high
    attrition rate because many people throw them away and very few will expend
    much effort to retrieve an errant one. Each time one of these changes hands
    there is a high probability that it will be the last time. Obviously this is not con-
    dusive to any specimens recieving a lot of wear. These coins also have a high
    probability of going into very long term storage. They can get into a jar of cents
    that's used for poker ante or a piggy bank and sit for many many years. Since
    the attrition rate on these coins is far higher today than it was 30 years ago, it
    is generally a safe assumption that a well worn memorial today actually got most
    of it's wear in the 60's and 70's. A later date with extensive wear in most unlikely.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file