Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

GAI vs PSA

I know this has been discussed before, but at the Fort I noticed a lot more GAI cards than prev, and a stronger dealer presence. What does this mean?

Has anyone considered a GAI crossover? Would it be similar grading? I have heard that GAI holders are sharper, and it seems in other posts that GAI has a solid PSA team they built with and with Danny going to GAI, it seems the team is growing.

I have been a PSA member for only a few years, and I am not in it for the money. Is there a GAI special for PSA graded cards?

etc, etc, etc ..... any other thoughts?

collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options
    Nobody is buying global cards that's why you are seeing more and more of them, They are just sitting in dealers cases. Did you hear about global grading a bunch of 1963 bazookas cards and then finding out later they were counterfit.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I thought we put this issue to rest with Scoop's recent post. I know PSA; I've worked with PSA, and GAI you are not PSA [with apologies to Sen. Lloyd Bensen].
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Why waste your time asking questions about GAI here?
    They have a website where you can waste your time.
    I collect the 1960 and 1961 Nu Card issues. I also enjoy the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges.
  • Options
    Crossing over from PSA to GAI would be like doing an even swap and trading in your 2002 porsche for a rusted out VW bus. PSA will never be de-throned.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crossing over from PSA to GAI would be like doing an even swap and trading in your 2002 porsche for a rusted out VW bus. PSA will never be de-throned. >>

Never say never. I hope PSA will stay at the top of the heap since I have invested heavily in grading my cards with them. But there's always a chance someone else will come along with a better product/service or PSA could slip and lose their market position. As long as PSA strives to provide consistant grading and continual improvement in their service (turn around time, low grading fees, etc), they should remain #1.
  • Options
    mcdee2mcdee2 Posts: 1,150
    On this GAI note, at a recent show I attened in Central PA, I was astounded by the number of people submitting their cards to GAI. They offered a "show special" of pre-grading for three dollars and if you liked your results they would be slabbed for an additional 2 dollars. The lines were long with some very nice vintage baseball being slabbed. SGC also had a table set up and though I was at the show for several hours each day, I did not notice a single person turning cards in to SGC. The talk of the show seemed to be about GAI gaining a greater legitimate presense in the industry.
  • Options

<< <i><< Crossing over from PSA to GAI would be like doing an even swap and trading in your 2002 porsche for a rusted out VW bus. PSA will never be de-throned. >> >>

I agree with Gemint Never Say Never Years Ago in this Country Miller was by far the Number #1 Beer Brand Before the I believe itwas Schlitz ... Where are they today ? A distant second and non-existent as King Bud has over 40%+ MArket share.

TWo things would worry me if I worked for PSA :

1.) THey same to be gaining momentum and appear to have strong support from several key dealers (dealers who probably were PSA Supporters)

2.) They have a FAR SUPERIOR CARD HOLDER than PSA does ... The card Pops out in a GAI holder. In fact PSA has a Mercedes brand in Yugo packaging (the card holder) .... It is the ugliest of the reputable card grading companies (PSA,SGC, GAI, BGS).

Me I am sticking with PSA but I really think they need to address their card holders....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

My experience with crossing GAI over to PSA has been extremely consistent. I crossed 6 GAI cards to PSA, and every card got the same grade on the cross-over. Gives me confidence in both brands.

As far as the holders, I guess it's just a matter of opinion. The reason I originally picked PSA (having no previous knowledge of graded card companies) was because of the holders. They are plain and simple and focus the eye on the card, and not the holder. There is nothing worse than a 1940 B&W card in a shiny BVG or GAI holder. It just ruins the "vintage look" for me.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    whether or not a particular company gets more 'market share' than the other, as a collector, i have started to get used to the 'packaging' that the cards i collect, come in. yes, its not as nice as the other ones out there, but as a person who likes aesthetics in a card (my favorite sets being 1950 bowmans), the holder adds to the consistency. i'd rather have an incomplete PSA graded set than a complete '8' set that has holders from various companies (you'd hope that they'd all equate to the same thing, but they dont unfortunately)

so, being a creature of habit, i'm going to be a psa supporter until one of the other companies starts to dominate the sets i collect!