Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why do we participate in the registry?

Not just here, but also at the other one... I'm curious to know what kinds of satisfaction the various folks get from this.

I first heard about this through a dealer friend, who thought it would be nice if I had a complete set that was all in same-generation holders and consecutively numbered. Having my name on it would also be nice.

I didn't care too much, but got nagged into registering my sets by another friend.

Now, all I get from this is headaches. It requires time on my part to enter the coins in. And, I still don't have a complete set of consecutively numbered holders. And, I don't much care about the bragging rights because I only care about the opinions of those who've seen my coins in person.

All in all, I guess I'm hoping I can get more reward from this by living vicariously through some of you folks...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "thrill of the hunt" is intensified for me with the Registry. I see what I have and what my set 'needs' and then seek the coin(s) out.
    It's also a great way to record keep.

When I first became involved with the Registry I was one of those guys that did find myself kind of looking for the point and not necessarily the coin. I changed that line of reasoning and have become a happier collector for it.
    Now, I don't look "up" I just look straight ahead.

peacockcoins

• Options
    In a earlier post, someone, I was I could remember who, noted that today's Registry Set is like the Whitman albums of our youth and I somewhat have to agree. I have posted pics of all my coins to share with anyone who wants to stop and look. It's also challenging and like Braddick, the thrill of the hunt is also there.

At Long Beach I picked up a 79 SBA Type II for $85, I'll send it in to PCGS for grading and if by chance it comes back 69 DCAM, I'll be overjoyed. Not only did I hunt that coin down, I also was able to pick one to make the grade I needed. So it combines knowledge, patience and skill.

Braddick's right though, don't look up or that can get very costly!

Michael

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I joined just to see how mine compared with other sets.It did help me to focus on the coins I needed to complete my set.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    I would have to agree with braddick,

and it has become fun trying to keep up with others.

may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much fun would it be if people started to accuse each other blindly of cheating? How much fun would it be if we had to go through a verification process, and to pay for it?!?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started just for the fun of it and along the way I meet VERY nice fellow Mercury dime collectors. I really started just to have a complete short short set, and now look where i am at.

I believe the real competiton is with ones self.
    I like to encourage others to complete and or improve thier set.

If you have an ego problem keep it to yourself no set is worth downing anyone other's set.

Have fun with it and send me my 1939 PCGS MS66FB Mercury dime

PLEASEimage
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    I partcipate not because I want to compete with people, but I want to show off my collection to people who will actually appreciate it, and not just think I'm a huge nerd for collecting pieces of metal.
  • Options
    I want to show that Young Numismatists can put together just as good of a collection as more experienced Numismatists!

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Pride in your set and the desire to see its completion

in print. Friendly competition with people you communicate

with on on the Forum. Finally the shairing of information

of what coins are in which sets , is interesting and helpful.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many reasons to do it, most already expressed.

A side benifit is it serves as my want list. If a dealer requests a want list, I refer them to my set. They see the quality I'm looking for (all my coins are pictured), the holes I have (well, there are some holes filled with NGC coins) and the potential for upgrades. I never have to update my wantlist (so long as they don't lose the URL).
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Participating in the Registry is a lot of fun. I participate out of a sense of pride; I have some really cool, super rare coins. Through the Registry I get to share my collection with people who love coin collecting just as I do. It has added a whole new element to my numismatic experience. Like MastaHanky says, people here really appreciate what I do and don't think that I'm a big nerd for collecting pieces of metal.
  • Options
    It's fun competition. I use it to see what I have, what I need, pop numbers, % completed, grade points, etc. I hope to put pictures up (when I find a camera imageisgustimage. Overall, I think it adds to the collecting experience, at least for me. I was drawn into the hobby through the Registry. I know what coins I need to complete a set, and can organize my data.

And it's fun to see what others collect, and how their sets are coming along.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man I do not know. With All of the Cheaters, Number Collectors, Plastic Collectors, and Fake Sets it has become one Pain in the Posterior. Originally I thought it would be Fun to share with people and also learn from them. Oh well, another mistake in my thinking. The damn Merc folks are the Worst. image

Ken
  • Options
    An active want list for people to see what I have. The new "thing" the registry did for me was to push me to finish the series and it stimulated me to do a quarter eagle and type set. Other than that I don't care about consec. numbers, the generation of the holder or where I stand. The set will be the best that I can build regardless of rank.

It has also opened the door to meeting new collectors who share a common interest in the series I collect.

Rich