Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check this out modern commem collectors

Comments

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Someone is spending $10,000 on a coin that is no better than a PR69, but it was blessed by the Political Coin Grading Service during an era when they were competeing with ICG. INSANITY!
  • Options
    There is no way to know when it was graded is there?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Not without PCGS's help. Only they can run the serial number through to see when it was assigned. But still no guarantee because of crackouts and such.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    $10,000 a Pop is a bit much for a modern commem.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    nwcs,

I figured as much.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone crack out a PR70 graded coin?
    Of course you can't tell the cert number anyway on teletrade.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure lunacy. Pure and simple.
    Other adjectives come to mind.

peacockcoins

• Options
    up to $13,000 - WOW image
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I refuse to think about this. My head would explode.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Is this anything like the 'irrational exuberance' that foretold the recent stock market collapse?

I can see some poor 'investor' now trying to convince his crying wife that it was necessary to max out the credit cards for this 'one of a kind' coin which is sure to double in value in the near futureimage
  • Options
    $10,000 a Pop is a bit much for a modern commem.

Shiroh, stop bashing modern coins. image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Shiroh, stop bashing modern coins.

Sorry, it's in my blood. I guess I'm finally affecting braddick.

He wrote, Pure lunacy. Pure and simple.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone still want to deny similarities to the tulip craze of the 1600s?? CRAZY 1997 commem
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Looks like that Botanical is also a Pop One coin although PCGS pop report shows zero.
  • Options
    My pr69dcam looks the same, I made mine for a total of $128, INCLUDING the NGC slabbing fee.
    I would rather spend the remaining $9872 on other coins. Who's with me?

Brian
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shiroh, stop bashing modern coins. Sorry, it's in my blood. I guess I'm finally affecting braddick. He wrote, Pure lunacy. Pure and simple. >>

Well, you Shiroh AND the $13,000+ pricetag on that coin.. image

peacockcoins

• Options
    I'm with you wingedliberty!
    I really hate to see those high prices because it makes me want to sell my 70s then my set won't be complete anynmore. I think the key word is Pop 1 though.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the people who pay this kind of stupid money for 70DCAMs ever return the coins to the seller when they get them and find out they aren't any better than a 69DCAM? Or, do they just enter them in their registry set and not care?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ (or anyone else),

Do you think the 69-S Kennedy PR70DC (pop One) is worth the PCGS value of $5,000?
  • Options
    [quote]My pr69dcam looks the same, I made mine for a total of $128, INCLUDING the NGC slabbing fee.
    I would rather spend the remaining $9872 on other coins. Who's with me?[/quote]

now THAT was a profound post.

I'm with you Winged.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think the 69-S Kennedy PR70DC (pop One) is worth the PCGS value of $5,000? >>

BSqr,

No, I don't. I haven't seen it, but my guess is that it looks no better than my 69DCAM example (a very primo coin), and also no better than some of Greg's 69DCAMs for the same year.

However, I'd bet that the last time it changed hands, it went for very close to the CU price or maybe even more. It was very recently purchased for the #1 proof Kennedy set, just in time for the 2002 awards.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew Russ wasn't too far away. I'll add my two cents: If I owned the '69 I would want to think it's worth $5k, but who would buy it (other than the no. 1 or 2 set).

Regarding the commemorative on teletrade THE BP IS GONNA RUN YOU 2 GRAND!!!!! (Sorry for shouting)
    Ouch.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    <<Or, do they just enter them in their registry set and not care?>> They're just buying the number on the slab-they don't care about the coin-it's the number that matters.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>My pr69dcam looks the same, I made mine for a total of $128, INCLUDING the NGC slabbing fee >>

*raises a "mr spock" eyebrow at Brian*
    Fascinating! These coins are drop-dead gorgeous!!!!!!
  • Options
    looks like $13,000 is gonna be the winning bid
  • Options
    That Gold PR70 is beautiful in the way they've taken that picture. It makes it look the grade and then some.

It looks almost like the devices are floating in black space.

Well, this kind of thing is out of my range...image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't meet the reserve. Looks like the seller is even greedier than one would expect.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    how do you know? I'm still seeing "pending".
  • Options
    unbelievable

$13,000 wasn't enough for that $5 oly.... that's absurd
    and the last I saw the botanical silver $1 it was over $2000

that really blows my mind, although the sellers could have just been feeling out the market before setting a price
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that someone who wanted, say, $8K-10K for the coin decided to put a stratospheric reserve on the coin, had someone else bid it up to $13K knowing it wouldn't meet reserve, then use that bid as leverage to sell it for the desired $8-10K?

Because I'm having trouble buying the notion that a $13K bid wouldn't meet the reserve (for someone who had actually wanted to sell the coin).

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    It didn't sell at 13k image
  • Options
    RLinnRLinn Posts: 596

<< <i>then use that bid as leverage to sell it for the desired $8-10K? >>

I think Kranky is on to something. I just have a hard time believing that these modern commems dont' have a number of PR70 DCAM pieces in the hands of collectors waiting to be slabbed.

Russ, is the PR70 DCAM rare because it doesn't exist or because it isn't awarded the grade?
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options

<< <i>Russ, is the PR70 DCAM rare because it doesn't exist or because it isn't awarded the grade? >>

Both. The PR70DCAMs I've seen (ones that say that on the holder) were NOT 70's. I'm sure there are some out there that are, but not nearly as many as the pop report would indicate. Those were from the era when PCGS actually granted the grade.

Now, they simply no longer give it in proofs. In my series, for the years 1996-1998, 118 were granted the grade. From 1999-2001, there was a grand total of ONE. As I asked RM in the Q&A forum (which he ignored and refused to answer), what changed?

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    RLinnRLinn Posts: 596

<< <i>From 1999-2001, there was a grand total of ONE. As I asked RM in the Q&A forum (which he ignored and refused to answer), what changed? >>

It does seem a little strange. I also noted RM's pass on that part of your question. I actually had not looked as closely as you have on the '99-'01 pop reports and find the change remarkable.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    Didn't meet the reserve. Looks like the seller is even greedier than one would expect.

I'd love to see PCGS open the floodgates again and have this greedy SOB owner watch his over-hyped coin be valued at $200 again.
  • Options
    Now, they simply no longer give it in proofs. In my series, for the years 1996-1998, 118 were granted the grade. From 1999-2001, there was a grand total of ONE. As I asked RM in the Q&A forum (which he ignored and refused to answer), what changed?

I asked a very similar question, but it was ignored also. However, I made my question more pointed.

I knew my question wouldn't get approved, so I saved it to post in the forums. image

Subject: Why Did PCGS Change Their Grading Standard For PR70 Coins?

Whether or not PCGS wishes to admit it, the grading standard for PR70s has clearly changed. Why did PCGS basically stop giving out the PR70 grade?

There are thousands of PR70 coins out there in PCGS slabs. Yet practically all those were graded a few years ago. With the extremely rare exception, new PR70s aren't being graded.

The timing of this policy change seems to coincide with the marketplace discounting all ICG coins. We all know ICG is the King of PR70s. image

Why the change in grading standards? PR70 used to be hard to obtain, then PCGS opened the floodgates, then those floodgates were shut again.

Did PCGS feel the need to compete with ICG and now that ICG is no longer a credible service PCGS can go back to grading stricter? Did the dealers in the market place put pressure on PCGS to reduce the supply of PR70s in order to keep the prices high?

What is the true reason for the lack of new PR70s coming out of PCGS?
  • Options
    Greg,

We all know why he refused to answer either of us. If he answered honestly, PCGS would be buried in 70s under their grade guarantee program. Better the masses be fat and happy, than know the truth and rise up.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file