Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Drude Coll" Jefferson Nickel?

Is anyone familiar with the “Drude Coll” designation?

1946-S Drude Coll

Dan

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    It's a pedigree coin I think. Just someones name.
    Coll short for collection.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    No idea, but I'd guess it has something to do with that flattening/widening of the rim at the top. "Coll" is probably short for collar.

Russ, NCNE

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Or, it could just be a pedigreed coin.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Easy there folks image That nickel is part of my old Jefferson Registry Set. The Name is Drude, Greg Drude..the Coll was supposed to read collection, but some of the varieties took up too many letters, so you get Drude Coll image

Got this set up to number three before I was made an offer I couldn't refuse image

As I recall, this was a coin I made that I felt was undergraded by a point.

Greg
  • Greg - It’s got to feel good seeing your name on a slab!

Dan
  • Yes it is kind of fun. I run across them periodically. Sometimes I even buy then if just to say hi image

Greg
  • Greg, I have one or two of your former coins in my current #3 set!

Ken
  • Hi Ken,

There everywhere...there everywhere LOL. Sometimes I wish i had kept them, but I was at a point financially back then where I needed the money.

Be nice to 'em image

Greg
  • Oops, make that my #4 current set...the Nevadaman Collection just passed me by (easily)
    once he got to 100%.

Ah well, I'm still #3 in the "With Varieties" set!

I hear ya, Greg...I might be convinced to sell at an "offer I couldn't refuse" image

Ken
  • Didn't see this thread when it was posted. This Jefferson is now in my registry set.
    I'd post a link, but haven't figured out how yet. The same applies for grading Jeffersons.

Greg,
    Nice steps. Solid 65. It has a good home with friends.

Boston Bob
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Boston Bob
    Considering the markfree profile, fields and steps on your coin. This 1946-S is above most out there. The strike for this date is notoriously soft and usually found somewhat less then full. The obverse is strong for the date but from the pic, the reverse looks a tad soft. Both you and Greg have a good eye for quality.
    And we just as well should include Ken, Frank and Steve, that coin registry guy for that matter.

And here's a side note. Before I take out my collection I will alway wash my hands in a mild dish soap.
    Of course, sometimes I'll forget. But I'm reminded just as soon as I notice a fingerprint on one of my slabs.

Has anyone noticed what I"m referring to? Hopefully it's not on the coin and it's heritage's fault. But it could be an added attribute from no other then Greg himself. LOL

Just to add some humor, I'm certain it's on the slab.

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you mentioned that, Greg. I was worried that there was some poor schmuck out there named "Drude Coll". image

(A relative of the Depression-era gangster, Mad Dog Coll, no doubt...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    You know, on second thought, that print really looks like it's on the coin and PCGS may have put it there
    when someone used there thumb to press that coin into the inner plastic card. This is why I could never send off my coins to be certified. This would just floor me to find out something like this has happened to any of my FS nickels. I would have to handle them myself before anyone could grade them.
    I'm hopeing someone can tell me I'm wrong here with my fears.

Leo image as hell.

imageimage

• Alright Leo,
    You made me look close. I didn't see until the light was right. The scan had picked it up much better.
    I thought it had been on the slab. Then thought it was on the coin. It's very faint under magnification.
    Can't be sure yet and I've been looking for the last 1/2 hour. It does appear to be on the coin.
    I work with highly polished parts and have seen fingerprints left even with gloves, cotton and latex.
    At least there is no related spoting associated with the pattern. It is a concern now.
    Thanks for causing me to look close. Don't know what to do about though.

Boston Bob
    Hi Bob
    When it comes time to resell, someone may see it. Whatever you have into it is another concern.
    With special lighting and I don't know what kind, but if that print extends onto the insert around
    the coin. Then we could name the culprit. Heritage may be liable if they stand by what they sell, maybe not. If it's difficult to see now, before long, it may not. I have a beautifully toned 41-D that shows reminants of a print but I live with it as it seems to add to the toning, nontheless, I'm stuck with it.

Leo

Hi Bob
    I've included a pic of that 1941-D I mentioned. You can easily see the print but this coin has really nice toning so I try to overlook the print. ANACS graded it at MS67 6 steps.

Ken,
    You got me to look, I was about to start a thread congratulating David for being the first to complete the 1938 to 1964 set but he still needs the 53-S.

On further note, I see Ray Overby is in the 1938 to 1964 race. I'm thinking that he may have certified that
    4th 53-S.

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file