a)buy it now?
b)no reserve?
c)no reserve-minimum bid?
d)reserve?
USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments

• A no reserve auction with a low starting bid is they way to go if you really want to sell your coin and you expect there to be at least two strong bidders.

High reserves with buy it now prices not much higher are used by those who are retailing coins.

I use a reserve on less liquid coins like $5 gold Liberties. There just aren't that many people cruising eBay each week looking for $5 libs... Sometimes I use no reserve with a minimum bid in the same case.
  • These days?? Hhhmmmm.

a.) Buy It Now. Ans: They are trying to see if a pigeon is out there that will buy it at their rediculous BIN price.

b.) No Reserve. Ans: Means the starting bid is way too high. There playing e-auction poker.

c.) No Reserve-minimum Bid. Ans: Its a total piece of garbage that belongs in a dump, and they are trying to entice a fool to part with their money.

d.) Reserve. Ans: They are not really willing to sell the item, but are price fishing. However, if someone actually bids high enough to meet or beat the rediculously inflated reserve figure, they are elated, and would let the item go.

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Virtually all my auctions have been a No Reserve, starting at $0.01. My Idea is to get as many bidders to make it seem that it is a good deal. I try to give very good scans and decribe the coin correctly. My shipping has been $3.00. I'm hoping for auction fever and that folks will bid high. Often the coins are body bag victims, but still OK coins. Most of the time it works out, only once in a while does the auction close lower than I had hoped.

Tom
    Tom

• BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    My intentions, no matter how the coins are listed, are to sell them!!!! image
    I'm not going to speak for anyone else but when I list coins with a buy it now, that price is usually somewhere between Greysheet bid and Trends, but usually a reasonable number for the given coin. I have been averageing 22% of my listings ending with the BIN feature.
    As stated above, on odd denomination coins, I will either put a reserve, or a set price, for the same reasons given above.....there aren't as many bidders going for that type of material, and I don't see the purpose of giving stuff away at less than what I paid.
    I use no reserve, minimum bid auctions quite a bit. Sometimes the minimum bid will only be for a fraction of what the coin is worth, just to keep the BIN figure available for a while.
    I'll use reserves on occasion just to see if I can get some bidding action on a particular item. Knowing that a lot of bidders don't like this type of listing. I figure if the coin is nice, it doesn't matter what format it's offered.
    *Also, I reserve the right to change my mind concerning any of this blabber!!!! imageimageimage
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    a)buy it now?-sucker bait
    b)no reserve?-take anything
    c)no reserve-minimum bid?-wants retail without reserve fee
    d)reserve?-paying $3 fee to show off their $20,000 Morgan
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Buy it now - How many panicky buyers are out there?
    No reserve - I gotta get rid of this crap
    No reserve + minimum bid - I gotta get rid of this crap, but I need some bus fare too
    Reserve - Cheapo buyers stay away.

Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • For my auctions (not necessarily coins) bin is an item that i have nothing in, and usually the bin is a great deal for someone if they need that item and i dump it from inventory.reserve= an item that i have a bunch in and i just cant take a loss. For example a new 6 burner gas range costs me 925.00, I may start it at 1.00 with a reserve of 1000.00. I have found however that most ebayers are not in the market for new equipment. So if I have a 15 year old gas range that i was paid to haul off, i may put it on ebay with a bin of 150.00. With a proper description someone will buy it and rebuild it for another 200.00 and all ends well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file