Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

superb gem mintstate 1863 indian cent

this coin currently is in a pcgs ms66 holder and is really a 67 coin and may be the finest 1863 indian ms certified pcgs/ngc, i think so!! i would put this coin against any certified ms66/67 1863 copper nickel cent. this coin was graded in late 1998 to very early 1999 at the time the person who bought this coin paid a huge premium for this coin. somewhere between the going rate of a 66 and 67 coin

the 1863 is one of the worst struck and overall terrible looking of the copper nickel cents. the 1863 most always comes weakly struck. this coin is very close to 100% fully struck with only ever so slight weakness to the two feather tips closest to the last "s" in states on the obverse.

i think half who looked at this coin would say ever so weakly struck and the other half would say a full strike! to me it is 99% full strike
most all 1863 coins are unattractive coins and come dull and lifeless with little lustre and also come stained. in other words the eye appeal and aesthetic appearance leave much to be desired!

this coin is a rare exception to the rule the surfaces are highly lusterous with semi prooflike fields and satiny lettering and devices. the color is as struck with no staining NO TONING! absolutely no trace of planchet streaking or other problems.

i think currently there are no ms67 coins graded pcgs and i can certainly see why. THIS COIN SHOULD NOT EVEN EXIST! it might be a later die state as there are a couple of hardly noticeable die cracks on the obverse that are easily missed by the unaided eye. i think this is the finest known pcgs certified 1863 indian cent.

this coin currently resides in an eastern collection and i have personally examined this coin and the above comments are my own opinion

the scan is not good at all and doesnot show the true color of this coin nor its original untoned as struck state if you notice how the light hits this coin on the obverse at 6pm and 12 noon this is the color of both sides of the coin!

a thanks to brian itsnotjustme for the photo help!!!!!!!!!!!!! his expertise is invaluable!!

sincerely michael

Comments

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    Michael.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful coin with us - I rarely see really nice 1863s. This one is a big WOW!

Thank you for your attantion. The cat is shedding and I need to find the mini-vac.image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin, I especially like its strike. I'm really in to well-defined feather tips and this one has it. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'm really impressed with the luster. My mom has a MS-63 one of that date that looks great except for a small tone area. But not as lustrous as that one.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    That's a wonderful coin Michael. image Tough to find those copper/nickel cents with soooo much luster and such a strong strike. An excellent looking coin!
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    thanks for all the great replys

sincerely michael
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    looks like you just broke it out of an original roll!
    purty!
  • Options
    thanks goose! it does look like the middle of a roll coin it is lightly golden so that tells me it is lightly toned!
  • Options
    RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Michael, any plans on coaxing it out of that "eastern collection" anytime soon?
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Michael, I don't live that far from you. (About a couple hours or so.) It has to be pretty close to there or in the city. I know of about 8 or so significant North Eastern Collections. I think I may have an idea who it is...........image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!!!!

With all the other coins I have looked on here from the Eastern Collection, I would not be too far to say that this has to be one of the finest if not the finest in such collection!!!

Your comment......THIS COIN SHOULD NOT EVEN EXIST....geez it just has to be so true....this coin is a miracle.

I would love to get the Indian Head collectors PCGS Showdown Sets (Stew & Ally, etc.) thoughts on this coin!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get in line to buy that one. Do you suppose the planchet lamination on the top is keeping it from a 67??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy looking at this one, which Michael was kind enough to let me use on the copper-nickel page of my site a while back. If I remember correctly he mentioned to me that the area on the upper obverse that looks like lamination became much more pronounced by the way the coin was lit for imaging.
  • Options
    hi there everytone thanks for all the sincere great comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i love coins especdially when everyone posts his or her own sincere comments!! and all are interested in coins and the collecting of and in its study as not only have i posted these coins on here but the greatest thing to me is that i have leaRNED MUCH FROMN ALL THE COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

shtlock paul!! you are the greatest and always have benn! you have helped me lots and your honesty and intergrity is 100% unquestioned! also everyone [please go to pauls site aND SEE HIS GREAT INFORMATION AND TO ME ALL CORRECT AND FACTUAL!!!!!!! and current! and of ocurse at the lasdt page where he posts all the thanks for the various people who helped with on this site!!!!!!!!!!!! that is the best page at least to me as it has someone i know posated on there!!!!! to IS BETTER THAN A PROOF 67 DEEP CAMEO PCGS STELLA WITH NO ROLLAR MNARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rlinn thanks for the great comments but unfortunately right now the owner of this collection is keeping the coin as they are crazy collexctors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks nwcs and bigd5 from tour comments you are very astute as to higher grade mintstate copper nick indians!

littlewicher well you are always welcome to come visit me if you ever get up to rochester just lee me knoe and i can maybe show you some coinage and also take you to the dinosaur for lunch!

oreville with all your posats and with talking to you it never ceases to amaze me that there are great people out there like yourself that are not only knowledgable about coins but are very nice and sincere and also are great individuals also! it has been my pleasure to have met you and that is waht the boards are all about people!! yes yes the coins are only secondary but againb mfrom waht i have seen on here to each his own and there but for the grace of God go i!!!!!!! i can always learn something on there boards sometimes the good sometimes the bad and sometimes the ugl;y!............lol

leaksammman i have examined this coin and there is no planchet laminatrion and it really amazed me this showed up in the ptoho as when you look at the coin even under a 10x glass therer is no lamination i gursss to me it is an invisible somethiungh or other in the toning of the coin it is completly invisible to the nakked eye and even under 10x

i think for me after looking at it it is just m,ostly the photo not from the coin it is the way the light hits the coin as there is nothing there especially so no lamination but fromn the photo it looks that way that is why i do not like to judge coins from photos they are eithetr too good to be true or show a coin that is great in an ugly light i guess for me i can see why with internet bidding why some grewat coins go cheap as the scans look crappy but the coin is fantastyic and as i have said before it will always be a sight seen market for great stuff and that major shows will never wever go out of style! as it is the sight seen coins and mostly a people thing person to persaon interaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess you have toi see the coin in person to see waht i am talking about

sincerely michael
  • Options

<< <i>littlewicher well you are always welcome to come visit me if you ever get up to rochester just lee me knoe and i can maybe show you some coinage and also take you to the dinosaur for lunch! >>

One of these days I might just take you up on the offer. I would love to meet you and talk to you. By the way, is that Dinosaur, as in Dinosaur BBQ? If so, I love that place!!!!!!image

-Laura Swenson

• Options
    yes the donisuar bbq started in syracuse and now in rochester it is great huge helping of fantastic food and cheap!!!!!!!!!!! well not that cheap but not expensive as i am the last of the big time spenders...........lol if you get my drift

take care and let me know if you ever get up to rochester!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    I go up to Rochester quite a bit. Whenever I'm up there, though, I'm always busy. Maybe I'll make it a road trip by myself sometime. I have about a year till I can get my license. I might do it after I graduate! I'll make it up someday, anyways!image ~Brian

-Laura Swenson

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it on out - I'd be very happy to see that monster in person.

Ditto your comments re: Shylock!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael: Two questions?

One...what is the price range wholesale and retail on a coin like this one going for these days? i just need a rough estimate as I really do not know this area too well.

Two: Were you ever blessed (or cursed) to ever attend meetings and/or share ideas with Pittman at your local coin clubs and shows? image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    hi there oreville well if you go to scarcecoins.com web site they have some ms 66 pcgs indians copper nickel in the 3500 to 4000 range.

based on that for me i think this coin is a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm a retail 4500.00 coin because it is undergraded
    maybe wishful thinking for me but at least 4000.00 easy
    now if a crackout artist bought it they would invest several grading fees for express grading and i think this has an excellent chance for a 67 grade which i personally think it is!

as for the famous proof collector from rochester ny! i have talked with him before as we always seemed to bump into one another.

this collector had a monster huge usa currencey collection that almost rivaled his coin collection! also he had an original bag of the 1948 canadian dollar the rare one!

also he has ten times as much stuff that was not in akers auction
    i think foreign super rare foreign proof stuff and other things waht happened to it i do not know!

see he used to in the olden days go visiting to foreign countries and take the mint director out to dinner and then well go to the mint for private strikings of rare proof coinage so he got a lots of interesting stuff thruoghout the years
    i cant say anymore interesting tidbits without getting myself in trouble

so all i will say is that i never mentioned any names on here

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file