Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Critique please

eBay description in the works
Check it out and let me know if anything needs changing. I'll probably get a snazzier background, or just change it to white maybe. I've been looking for a tiling coin background, like a pile of assorted coins that would tile, but it appears this doesn't exist. I know I could make one but I just am too darned lazy image Anyway, if you see anything let me know, I'd appreciate the input. I'll probably put it up in a few days.

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't make it any different on the graphics.

you have to remember, there are people out there on dial ups surfing ebay too!

Plus, people like me can't stand to see all kinds of graphics and stuff. When I click on a listing I want to see the coin I am bidding on or buying.

Looks ok to me
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Less is more for sure
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Looks good the way it is. Put too much BS in there and it detracts from the product you are actually trying to sell.

• Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Very well done ad. The only thing I would change is to make "Personal checks are NOT accepted" BOLD. I like your background as is btw. It doesn't distract from your text or the coin.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I recommend having the picture show more coin, less slab. On the obverse, leave the writing and coin visible. On the reverse you only need the coin (right side up).
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    In paragraph "My policy on personal checks ..." - next to last line - the word recieved should be spelled received. I before E except after C rule. Also would add an extra line between: Personal checks are NOT accepted. -- and the paragraph that follows, so that it will stand out -- and I agree about the bolding on that line also.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I would like more info on the coin, marks, strike etc since you didn't provide a good enough scan for me to see for myself.
    I like a close of the rev & obv with the slab cropped out and a 3rd smaller pict that shows the whole slab so I can see what generation slab it is in and so I could verify the numbers.
    Even if I wasn't paying by check where you say "I will cash the personal check as a restocking fee and relist the item" really turns me off so I wouldn't even bother to bid no matter how bad I needed the coin or how I was paying because I don't want to deal with a ripp-off butthead (no offense but that is what I would be thinking). If you cash somebody's check and don't send the coin you are leaving yourself open for fraud charges. You know how collectors here feel about relisting fees too.
    I accept PayPal or Money Order only is much more appropriate.
    No mention is made of a return policy.
    Threatening the buyers with neg feedback is a turnoff. You're assuming that I'm a deadbeat.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Well done Robert. The only thing that might lend some pizzazz to the presentation would be if you could get some closeups of the coin. Everyone knows what the slab looks like. If you could maybe get a picture with just the tag, and then some close ups you might get better results. But good ad as it is.

Regards,

Frank
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    It sounds like a very UNfriendly ad that is full of threats. I wouldn't bid.
  • Options
    I agree with the above. Three pics would be ideal: one of the whole slab for the "official" info, then two closer pics of the coin itself. The fancy backgrounds I find distracting.

I also agree that the no-check policy is a little harsh sounding. Something like, "I don't accept personal checks. Please don't send one." Or better yet, accept personal checks! As many buyers have said, it is too much hassle to go get a M.O. and some don't use Paypal. You might be missing some good buyers by not accepting checks.

Good luck in your auction!
  • Options
    Overall, I like the set up. (I wish I could do that!!) The pictures are a problem. The payment "threat" is a problem, too. A nice closeup picture (if you can do that), would be fine. If you can get a "supersize" option, that would be great.

About payment: something like "I do not accept personal checks" or "Please no personal checks" is fine. No need to go on about that. You could also put more payment details in your email when you send them out to the winner.

P.S. The background is fine.

Good Luck!
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    3 suggestions:

1) focus the image on the coin, not the slab. if the coin digipic was as large as the picture space being occupied by that slab, it would be far more helpful. the buyer already knows that its pcgs because you said so in the title, ie. it's redundant, & does nothign to help reveal the actual coin itself.

think of it this way, of the real estate occupied by your image, about 95% has nothing to do w/ the coin, it's the slab.

2) make the 2d image right-side up

3) reduce the title size by 1 step, & bold the rest of the desc. for ease of readabilty

K S
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man!!!!
    "My policy on personal checks is that if you ignore these instructions and send one anyway, I will hold it until an acceptable form of payment is made and will ship the check back with your item. If no acceptable form of payment is recieved within the ten days, I will cash the personal check as a restocking fee and relist the item."
    I WOULD NOT bid in your auctions! Cashing the personal check as a restocking fee? You better check the laws regarding this. If this happened to me, I'd have your state's attorney general on your @$$ faster than you could say "jack rabbit!"
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    WOW! i didn't even read the fine-print in this sample listing! in that case, you should BOLD and change colors on the part about the "My policy...".

1 other thing, dispose of the "population" thing-ee. the only people who care already have pop-reports.

K S
  • Options
    I agree with Mike & Dog, that No Check policy is over the top. The whole thing has a negative threatening tone to it and as such would not get a bid from me.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with CoinDaughter- accept personal checks. No place is convenient for me to get a Money Order (and they cost $$$), plus, I don't want to wait for my bank account to fill up PayPal... in that time, you could have your check. I got a checking account just for this reason... not so good to say that you won't take it now.

What harm is caused other than getting more bidders?

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'd be hesitant to bid myself. The first thought I would have is that you got shafted by someone in the past.
  • Options
    Couple of things to consider changing.

Most important: change the wording on your check policy to something less harsh. "Sorry but I cannot accept personal checks." gets the message accross without offending anyone. If you want to attract more bidders you may want to revisit this policy.

A larger image of the obverse and reverse is always attractive to a buyer. Small images are not adequate for many buyers.

A stated return policy will eliminate many emails from bidders who want to know what your policy is. Will you refund shipping costs?

Promote the coin more. Great strike, super eye appeal, lusterous, no distracting marks, etc. Emphasize the positives. If there is a noticible flaw that is readily visible, state it up-front. What initially attracted you to this coin? Why did you buy it?

Background appears neat and uncluttered. Liked it.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll do the following:

- leave the background alone

- accept personal checks, but with a holding period. The reason I was thinking of being hard nosed about it was the last time I tried to sell stuff on eBay, I would always say absolutely no personal checks and people would send them anyway. I had remembered what others have said about being charged by the bank for trying to cash a check that turned out to be bad and I didn't want to get burned. But I understand what others have said about accepting checks, and the points were well taken. I've changed my mind about this.

- keep the pop info, but de-emphasize it by moving it to the bottom of the description.

- I'll re-scan the coin and do the three pictures, one full slab and two close ups.

- Won't mention negative feedback. I guess if they don't pay they should expect to see it coming anyway. Dog, I'm not assuming YOU'RE a deadbeat! I'd be glad to have you bid on an auction of mine, in fact I'd be honored! image

I'm glad I asked for opinions, the feedback has been great. Especially about the checks, I didn't realize I was coming across as threatening.
  • Options

<< <i>Dog, I'm not assuming YOU'RE a deadbeat! I'd be glad to have you bid on an auction of mine, in fact I'd be honored! image >>

You just want him to bump your bid! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    So? image

Hey, I'd be honored if you bid too! image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I was thinking man this guys going to be mad because I said that.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>So? image Hey, I'd be honored if you bid too! image >>

Based on my guess as to what that thing is worth... I will bid if given a "generous" discount of between 90-95% off image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file