Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of these two ebay lots I won?

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
First ebay lot; a 1881-S $1 in MS-64 old ANACS holder. 1881-S silver dollar

Second ebay lot; a 1882-O $1 in MS-62 old NGC holder. 1882-O silver dollar

I would appreciate an honest evaluation of these silver dollars and the price I paid forgetting for a second the older holders?

Thanks.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    That 81-S looks really nice from the scan, and the toning looks good. Can't say much on price since it's been a while since I've bought any morgans in slabs anyhow.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I think they are solid coins for the grade at a fair price. Not a good price nor a bad price but fair price. The tone is not real pretty, I'll say neutral/slightly attractive according to the scan but in real life the coins should be more brilliant & lusterous and are probably actually attractive. I like a little periph tone to accent a brilliant coin.
    Man they sure were tough on that 82-O! It looks well struck but must be lackluster because I sure as heck don't see any 62 marks. 62 marks are deep digs. Maybe you got lucky and got an undergraded coin.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Well, the '81 S is common in high grades. It's a nice coin, though.

The '82 O has nice peripheral toning. It looks like it's undergraded to me.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    Great toning on both. I love those older holder coins, they usually are really nice for the grade.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, pleasant Morgans in older holders- especially that ANACS holder. That one goes pretty far back (Conder101?).

I think $50.00 is full retail but it's an honest coin and looks good.

peacockcoins

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Lordy they were tough on the grades, no way that one looks 62. The 81-s might be a common date but it has a lot going for it, the VAM1a and the s/s mint mark, this is a collector coin and at least a 64. Neat coin to own, good finds. I find myself more and more interested in collector coins than run of the mill ones.

I don't know squat about holders, but you got a good deal on the 81-s, a 65 will sell for 65-80 bucks.
  • Options
    It is getting harder to find older slabs without way overpaying for the coins that are in the slabs since there is a growing number of collectors of older slabs who seem to pay whatever it takes to get the old slab.

I had a positive feeling for these coins but had a feeling I was paying full prices for them. Yes, I do like this kind of peripheral toning which some do find to be neutral.

I also think the 1882-O $1 appears to have sufficient stacking in Liberty's hair which may also account for the MS-62 grade?
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what stacking is, the only reason I can see for the grade is the luster.
  • Options
    Good coins at good prices - can't argue with that one!

Congratulations!

Frank
  • Options
    "sufficient stacking" is new tio me too. Wazzat?
  • Options
    stacking is the friction from the weight of the coins pressing together and getting rubbed when "stacked" as in a stack of a pile (of a roll) or when bags were "stacked" on top of one another or just moved when the contents shifted. .
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    oreville- nice looking coins. Of the last two old ANACS slabs I cracked out and submitted to NGC one came back 1 point higher and the other 3 points higher. I think the 82-O looks to have been thumbed on the cheek- the fields look nice and someone was probably trying to get it in a 65 holder. mike
  • Options
    Interesting comment on the stacking. Looks like incomplete metal flow typical of O mints. You don't think that's just a weak strike?
  • Options
    Dog97: It is hard to be sure when 2000 miles away from the coin. image

It was only speculation.<p>

Thumbed on the cheek for the 82-O? I can't see it.
  • Options
    No. Maybe loss of luster which (would make that area of the scan darker) due to weak strike, but probably rub from the stacking you mentioned. Could just be the scan though.
    The stacking thing makes sense because I think I see the 2 little lines that make the 3 strands of hair over the ear you see on a sharp strike but stacking has smashed the high point of the hair.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 81s I don't really care for the color of the periph tone.

But the 82o I do like it. It's got a little of that red I like. Here is one with the same kind. Except a little more even.

stman

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Very,Very nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file