Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1974-D Ike MS67 or cleaned?

I have a 1974-D Ike that is simply the nicest clad Ike I've seen, and in my opinion may have had a shot at MS67, but PCGS sent it back with no grade as cleaned. I sent it to PCGS one more time and received the same verdict.

Presently, I stuck the coin up on Ebay, with some close up pics of the coin. I'm still sort of baffled by the cleaning verdict, so I was hoping someone could provide some feedback as to how to spot cleaning and their opinions on this coin.

Thanks

Link...
Coin Update - Coin Collecting News and Articles - Updated Daily.

Mint News Blog - US Mint News, Product Information, and Commentary.

Comments

• Options
    Asdfy:

Though the scan is dark and doesn't show much detail, I would say that the biggest problem with the coin is that it doesn't show any luster. This could be the result of overdipping by someone in the past. Sorry about your dilema - it looks like a nice coin otherwise.

Frank
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it have been very gently polished? If done right, on Clad coinage, it'll give the appearance of a problem free, high grade coin- but won't be 'slabbable'.

Or, try NGC?

Either way, it would look nice in my Dansco- thus my bid. image

peacockcoins

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Frank, I agree with you from the pictures it looks overdipped. Too much so for PCGS. Might be a nice one to purchase and send off to NCS or their opinion. Oops see a board member is on it.
  • Options
    Slabbable???? LOL - now we have PCGSBoardspeak!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do what I can. image

peacockcoins

• Options
    Ditto the comment on the apparent lack of luster.

Also, it seems to be missing some sharpness of detail that I'd expect on a coin this clean. It has the appearance of a circulated piece, or, I suppose, one that was polished. Baking soda maybe? (Wild guess... never tried it to see the results).

The darker speckliness around the obverse rim, such as seen between L and I in LIBERTY is strange looking too.

Even if it was a problem-free uncirculated piece and the lack of some detail simply due to some typical weakness in the strike... that would prevent it from making MS67 anyway, if that makes you feel any better. image
  • Options
    I agree with the other posts (and like the song goes) ... dip dip dip dip dip dip dip dip daaa ...
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??