Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Invoice size - How do you submit your cards?

I made this post on the Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum this afternoon. However, I know many people do not visit that site. Since we all know that the smart people hang out here anyway, coupled with the fact that if you collect a large graded set this has an impact on you, I thought I would post it here as well. I would really appreciate hearing what others do when it comes to invoice size.

Is there an optimal invoice size to maximize your grades?

I have had this question for quite some time and I thought I would finally pose it to the forum. Are there an optimal number of cards to submit in an invoice to maximize your grades? Obviously, you have to have nice cards to begin with, but because a human is involved, there is naturally some subjectivity. Considering you have screaming, high-end 9 looking raw cards, is it better to submit several small (25-50) card invoices or send them in a larger (100+ cards invoice)?

Many different people have told me many different things. Some have suggested that I send the cards in large invoices since I will get the “benefit of the doubt” and get a few 10’s. The theory behind this alternative is that since I’m spending a $1,000 on an invoice, the grading company will take care of me since they want my continued business. The supporters of this method also think that with high quality and consistency of the cards that the grader often gets “9-happy.”

I have also been told that I should send them in small invoices if the quality is high. The theory behind this method is that the grader will only give out so many 10’s in an invoice. Also, if you have a small invoice and the cards graded before your invoice were not of the same quality, the grader will be impressed by the “crispness” of the cards. However, if you submit too many, this feeling will not last. Supporters of this method have also told me that it helps to prevent the grader getting “numb” to seeing so many great cards and giving out “mystery” 8’s or getting “8 happy.”

I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts.

Frank Smith
(fesmith68@yahoo.com)
Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Frank,

I wish that I could help... But, after submissions totaling around 10,000 cards over the last 2 years - I still haven't figured it out. The only thing that I have found is that if you send better cards - most times you get better grades! But, I've sent in big invoices (400 - 500), small invoices (25 - 40), I've lined up star cards that were 8/9 borderline behind low end 8's hoping to get the benefit of the doubt, I've lined high end Topps behind high end OPC looking to get an edge. And overall, I haven't seen any real difference as to how they are handled. Grades are relatively consistent it doesn't seem to make a difference how I set them up.

And, I guess really - thats how its supposed to be. Although, that probably won't stop me from continuing to try and find an edge somehow...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank,

I think the key is that every 3rd or 4th card needs to be a playboy playmate card. If you choose some really outstanding playmates the graders will be thinking 10-10-10-10-10. Works every time.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Frank,

I agree with FB. It's probably more of a function of which graders grade your cards rather than how many are submitted. I send in 100 at a time just to get the price break.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I began sending in large orders of 150-200 cards per month back about four years ago to PSA. I was thinking the same thing you were with regards to sending more in. So back in February I struck up a deal with PSA to send in 1000 cards each month. I would for sure get the benefit of the doubt now. I am one of the highest volume guys in the industry and I am not a dealer, boy that makes me King of the Hill. Well today I sit here typing this out to tell you just send in your 25-50 card submissions. You would think that a person would become more knowledgable and more consistant with quality after submitting 8000 cards? This was not true in my situation. Have I gotten PSA 9's and 10's? Sure, I should get those not because they owe me due to the volume, but because the law of numbers kicks in. I have probably 600 PSA cards that are worth around $2 each because they are PSA 8's that are new cards, PSA 6/7 that look like PSa 8 cards from the 60's and 70's. I now know the answer to the question, send in what you want to keep for your collection, or those you want to gamble with. The wrong thing to do is what I did. The benefit is ZERO. No better grades, and no bumps. They don't care.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases