Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A different Dilema: Registry integrity

At a local show a year or so back a dealer pulled out a double row box of first generation PCGS holders for me. I was thinking I was in hog heaven until I looked at the coins. Each and every coin was ugly, spotted and had turned in the holder. I doubt that any would reslab within 2 grades of the current insert.

Question: would it be ethical for me to buy these at a huge discount and put them on the Set Registry KNOWING that the coins would not grade at these levels under current standards?

And how does that reconcile with your position on a previously graded raw coin being allowed? Why would we allow a slabbed coin that has detiorated but not a raw correctly graded coin?

My feelings are that it goes back to personal integrity. It is impossible to police short of continuous inspections of the registered sets. If someone wants to buy slabbed junk and compete at a discount they can. If someone wants to crack out their previously slabbed PCGS coins and put them in capital plastics or send them to another grading service, they can. If someone wants to register an "insert only" set, they can. It all comes down to personal beliefs.

I will now state my personal beliefs that I will abide by:

If I don't think a coin meets the grade, I will not put it in my Registry Set. If I do think the coin meets the grade and it has been certified as such by PCGS then I will do with it as I please (including storing it raw or regraded in another holder). If at any time the coin deteriorates or is damaged then I will get it regraded and abide by the new grade. But if the coin, in my determination, has not deteriorated or been damaged then I will feel free to use the insert to be on the registry and/or get it back in the same holder.

There are those that will agree with me and those that will disagree. Please feel free to state your own personal beliefs that you will abide by. These statements will mean much more than a vague and unenforceable rule.

Comments

• Options
    These first generation holdered coins have been selling for a premium on Ebay. Everyone thinks that they are all undergraded, but I think their grading is a little more strict these days.

As for integrity in a registry set. The coins were slabbed by PCGS and have an equal share in the registry, in my opinion. If you firmly believe that if a coin doesn't meet the grade that it was assigned, don't buy the coins.

I, for one, prefer to have high quality, PQ coins in my registry sets. If I don't think a coin that I get meets the standard I won't include it in my registry sets. If anyone else wants to, that's completely up to them. I know what I like and if I don't like it, I don't buy it or keep it.

The only reason I would buy them under these circumstances would be to resell them for profit, feeding on people's thinking that they were way undergraded. If they haven't learned how to grade yet, it's their fault.

Just my personal AND humble opinion.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    tradedollarnut,

I completly agree except for one issue. If you list a coin in the registry it should remain in the PCGS slab. Once it is removed from its slab the insert is no longer linked to the coin, even if you know it is the same coin. What would happen if PCGS decided to do a coin/cert verification? Or if you were asked to perticipate in a showdown like the one for the IHC sets?
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are We trying to circumvent the Spirit and Rules of the PCGS Registry with our Own Rules ?? No Slab, No Registry Coin, pretty plain and simple. Of course you may do as you feel Correct. Its your Coin, paid for and in your possession.

Ken
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circumvent? Hardly. When PCGS clarifies the rules, I will abide by their interpretation. Until then, I will abide by my interpretation as stated above.

You may do as you please, except for accusing me of "circumventing" a vague rule that no one can agree on what it exactly means. image
  • Options
    TDN:

That was a General Question !! image Not Directed at You at All. Please, lets not get personal in this discussion.

I still say, You or whoever bought the coins and have them in your or his possession, so the owner may do as he chooses.

Edit to Add:

Clairity from PCGS and NGC would be real nice. I agree whooly.

Ken
  • Options
    Ok - sorry Ken. The continual assertions of "that's the way it is" when it's open for several interpretations have got my gander up!
  • Options
    imageimage I think I noticed that. image A contraversial point that needs clarification for sure IMO.

Ken
  • Options
    TDN - without clarification from PCGS on the matter I can appreciate your position. No but coming along here! Question - If someone were to crack out a PCGS coin and cross it to NGC at a higher grade, would you agree that it would be improper to include it in the NGC registry at that higher grade (2 registries at once)? In effect you now no longer have the same coin that would be included in the PCGS registry. Thoughts?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In effect you now no longer have the same coin that would be included in the PCGS registry. Thoughts? >>

Huh? Why do you no longer have the same coin. Confused.

Sort of like having an olympic record, then going out and setting the world record and having the olympics remove your olympic record because you have exceeded the record in another venue.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    As soon as PCGS removes all the phantom sets that we all know don't have PCGS slabbed coins in them, than I will disagree with TDN. Until than, he is completely, utterly, without question, 100% correct in his thinking. There is no logical argument to the contrary, only emotional assertions.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dbldie55 - If you set a new record they do remove your old record. If you take a PC coin and then have it regraded higher or lower in an NGC holder IMO its no longer the PCGS coin. I am not disputing TDN's point, I was interested in his ethical response.

With regard to all the phantom sets - Russ how do you identify which these are? How and why did they get there?

• Options
    Lincolnscience, if you set a world record outside of the olympics (sort of like a higher grade in a different brand plastic), your olympic record stands as it was (the lower number, they do not give you credit for the record set at another venue). Just to be clear.

Another ethical question: Should nearly everyone with a PR70 in the registry be required to have it re-graded as they do not give them anymore (so it should be assumed they would not receive the grade if they submitted them today). Are these coins "really" better than the current PQ69's?

As it stands, the coin should be listed in the PCGS registry with the grade PCGS gave it. Guess we may need a clarification on this and if this is incorrect PCGS will have to come up with an entirely new marketing program for the registry as the current one would not apply with these new rules.

• Options
    I believe I will soon have a coin that will be listed in both Registries under two different grades. My position is that the two Registries are not mutually exclusive - they are two different ways to showing the same coins.

The PCGS Set Registry demands that one standard (ha!) be used to evaluate the quality of the coin. The NGC Registry allows two standards.

The coin in question is the finest 1877 MS coin I have ever seen. It was graded by PCGS as MS64, which it is most definitely NOT. Several trade dollar experts have seen the coin and agree with me that it is MS65 by anyone's standards. HOWEVER, it does not have fully struck stars. For some VERY STRANGE reason, PCGS will allow a PF67 trade dollar to have completely flat stars, but an MS65 must have almost complete stars. NGC has a different standard - MS65 does not require the stars to be well struck at all.

So we have one coin, evaluated under two different standards. It's the same coin and I own it. When it competes on the PCGS board, it's listed at the PCGS standard. If it's regraded by NGC then it will compete against other NGC coins at the NGC standard. If, for some reason, PCGS clarifies the rule and prohibits this, then I'll just go out and buy a ho-hum commercial PCGS MS64 and still keep my spectacular MS64/65 where it belongs - in my set!

I fail to see what all the hoopla is about. Most of the people here only participate in the PCGS Set Registry. As long as the coin's quality has been evaluated by PCGS and you know you are competing against the same (ha!) standard, what's the issue? With regards to just submitting the coin 100 times until PCGS gives in - I don't play that game.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin in question is the finest 1877 MS coin I have ever seen.

I have seen this coin, and was desperate to get it for my own collection just because I knew it was so fine and possibly the finest 1877. This beauty had awesome, attractive original toning and was kind of well struck for the date. My own specimen has a similar strike, but does not have the awesome toning that this one has. (Mine does have superbly frosty luster though!)

TDN - imagine how you would've felt if I had bothered to pursue this baby! Remember that I was at the auction and had seen firsthand how special this coin was... I can just picture Laurie having to keep us from killing each other! You may have paid a lot for the holder, but you got the coin cheap!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    dbldie55 - Don't know much about ms70's but what is the point advantage? Are the 69's and 70's weighted the same? If so, your point is moot. I did look at TDN's set in both registries. First, so there is no misunderstandings this is an awesome set - period! I wish I owned it. The 2 pictures missing in the PCGS set appear to be cracked out and now are graded one point higher in the NGC registry (at least the 73-cc for sure). So the obvious dilema as raised by the threads on the topic.

TDN - I was originally impressed by your direct "ethical" approach in what you believe. However, now that I notice that you don't have pictures of the items you prefer to show at the higher grade (ms 65 in both cases in the NGC set vs ms 64's in the PCGS set) I must question whether or not you yourself felt there was something wrong with what you were doing? If you felt as strong as you did then you would not have cared if I identified the same coin in two different registries at different grades. Just my humble opinion now but I believe you should de-list your 73-cc and 77 in the PCGS registry and have them regraded before you re-list them (hey, maybe PCGS will cross them) OR list them in the NGC registry at the ms64 points. OR, you can ignore this and let your conscience be your guide IMHO.

Its funny that you posted your reply minutes before mine - just took me to long to draft it.
  • Options
    LincolnSence,

I really should let TDN answer for himself, but I know why he doesn't have pictures of his '73-CC and his '77. There's nothing ulterior in their absence. I've harassed him about the pics too. The reason why he doesn't have pictures of them is simply because it's awfully inconvenient for him to get the pictures taken.

It's really a matter of the scanner, the coins and his main PC are in 3 different places.

However, I just realized that he can pull the pics off the Internet -- direct from the auction companies. In fact, I may do just that right now and pretend that they're my own! image

EVP

[edited to add that I can only download the '77.]

• Options
    Not the case - I own two 1873-CC's and two 1877's (one in each holder). Therefore I am 100% pure and ethical no matter how the sentence in question is interpreted. Why would I want to picture the second finest coin in my set for the PCGS Registry?????? I'm only interested in the finest coin - by my standards.

However, as it stands right now I would have no problem whatsoever in listing the same coin in both registries under different grades. I am ok with that concept for the reasons I've previously stated.
  • Options
    EVillageProwler - I want to be clear here - I am not saying anything negative about the actions taken. I enjoyed the pics and think it is an awesome set. Having the same coin in different registries is perhaps leading edge stuff!

TDN - thanks for the clarification. Great set.
  • Options
    Edited: Thanks!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS does not list any rules concerning high end vs low end coins for the grade.However as collectors we can either be buyers of plastic vs correctly graded coins.IMHO there is no reason to upgrade a coin to an alternative service unless you are planning to sell it

TDN - I respect your statement of your own rules regarding integrity,however you are in a situation in such that you are only competing against yourself.There is no other set nor will there ever be any set that will be finer than your present set........even if you sold your set.......Do you collect anything else ?
    when we compare the PCGS set registry vs the NGC set registry
    The NGC set registry would probably not exist if they only allowed NGC coins

I just returned from the showdown in Long Beach.IMHO there was more bonding with other collectors of the same series than I've ever experienced.I hope the Showdowns continue.

I also went by Larry Sheperds table and got to see IMHO the finest set of Proof Barber Quarters imaginable............and they are all in NGC holders.....The Hugon collection

Stewart
  • Options
    IMHO there is no reason to upgrade a coin to an alternative service unless you are planning to sell it

We disagree on this point. I trust my grading skills. I've seen almost every high grade trade dollar that has been on the market the past ten years (and some that aren't on the market). I think I know the series as well as most anyone. When a coin is a 65, it should be in a 65 holder. When a coin is the finest, it should be in the finest holder - not lumped in with 50 other coins in the next lower grade due to some obscure (and inconsistent) rule regarding the amount of strike pressure on the stars. Or because they haven't made that grade before.

I'd rather go to another service and get the proper grade than battle PCGS - it's easier on my blood pressure.
  • Options

<< <i>With regard to all the phantom sets - Russ how do you identify which these are? >>

lincolnSence,

They are the ones with the asterik next to the name of the set. One example that directly bears on this discussion would be proof trade dollars, where the Eliasburg set is listed as the #1 all time finest. See how that might be more than a little irritating for somebody like TDN who, in reality, owns the REAL finest set?

<< <i>Another ethical question: Should nearly everyone with a PR70 in the registry be required to have it re-graded as they do not give them anymore >>

dbldie55,

Just thought I'd repeat that.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>dbldie55 - Don't know much about ms70's but what is the point advantage? Are the 69's and 70's weighted the same? If so, your point is moot. >>

You really missed the point. For many modern series, the top sets consist of many coins graded 70. You "CANNOT" recreate these sets today as PCGS will NOT give the same grades. A collector today "CANNOT" compete with sets that include these 70 coins, as they cannot get the grade today. It may be one point but multiplied by dozens of coins and you will see my point. These coins can look horrible today, but would still be considered the finest coins based on the number on the holder. If there was a "Showdown", the number one set may be the worst looking set of the bunch. If you cracked the coins out, they would "NEVER" get back into the same holder as they do not give the grade today.

What many people say is that a terrible looking, overgraded coin in a holder should be allowed at full points, but a coin that was graded and is still of the exact same quality, but not in the holder should not.
  • Options
    tradedollarnut,

I have no intentions to be rude or mean BUT, it seems to me the interpretation of the rules is best done with a bit of "common sense". PCGS does not allow coins in a different service holders or raw to be entered in the registry. Everyone wants to use the estimated sets as a way to reinvent the wheel but we need to remember those sets were assembled prior to third party grading so PCGS has seen fit to give them the respect they deserve with an estimated grade. That in now way implies or allows for a "current set" to include raw coins. If a coin is removed from its PCGS slab for any reason it IS again a raw coin and as such even if it is reslabbed by a different service it no longer qualifies to be included in the PCGS Regisrty.

Sorry tradedollarnut but it appears to me you are not using common sense but simply twisting the rules to fit your current wants, desires and opinions. Sad FACT, your coin being an MS64 or MS65 in your eyes is really irrelevant when it comes to participating in the PCGS registry.

PCGS assigns a coin a grade, it might be a just make or high end just missed the next grade, or it might be over or undergraded. Regardless it made the grade and as such they all carry the same weight. If a collector chooses to save money and buy low end coins so be it his set will reflect it. Even if it ranks higher on the registry it will never compare to the set put together with top quality coins. Everyone will know who's set is best.
    Bill

• Options

<< <i>Should nearly everyone with a PR70 in the registry be required to have it re-graded as they do not give them anymore? For many modern series, the top sets consist of many coins graded 70. You "CANNOT" recreate these sets today as PCGS will NOT give the same grades. A collector today "CANNOT" compete with sets that include these 70 coins, as they cannot get the grade today >>

Man, you guys are really getting wrapped around the PCGS Registry pole.

Again, PCGS assigns a coin a grade, it might be a just make or high end just missed the next grade, or it might be over or undergraded. Regardless it made the grade at the time it was submitted and as such they all carry the same weight. If a collector chooses to save money and buy low end or over graded coins so be it his set will reflect it. Even if it ranks higher on the registry it will never compare to the set put together with top quality coins. Everyone will know who's set is best.
    Bill

• Options

<< <i>PCGS does not allow coins in a different service holders or raw to be entered in the registry. >>

Wrong. TDN competes directly with a set that is not only NOT in PCGS holders, many are in NGC holders, and owned by multiple different people.

<< <i>PCGS has seen fit to give them the respect they deserve with an estimated grade. >>

Fine, than create a special registry for these sets. Until they do, TDN is right.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    you are not using common sense but simply twisting the rules to fit your current wants

I am not twisting any rules whatsoever. The rule is sufficiently vague as to be interpreted in two different ways. Until it is clarified, my interpretation is as good as your interpretation. A significant number of people believe that if you've paid PCGS to grade your coin, that the grade follows the coin. You might disagree, but your position is no more authoritative just because you forcefully state it.

PCGS does not allow coins in a different service holders or raw to be entered in the registry.

Please show me exactly where it says that. Specifically states that fact.

The rest of your post is just fluff. The estimated sets are there to stay - doesn't matter. A coin can be PQ or ugly - doesn't matter. A coin can be in the holder or out - doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Sad FACT, your coin being an MS64 or MS65 in your eyes is really irrelevant when it comes to participating in the PCGS registry.

I never said it did. I accept the fact that the coin is an MS64 under PCGS's grading standards. That will never change. But it's an MS65 under everyone else's standards and that's where it will reside. PCGS was paid to grade the coin. Along with the grade opinion you get the right to list the coin in the Registry. That is my opinion and others. Until it is clarified by PCGS, it is just as valid as your opinion.
  • Options
    Riddle me this: why do so many people feel it is acceptable to force their own opinions upon others?

And, what's with all this business of questioning others' sense of ethics? I mean, really, what kind of ethics can there really be in coin registration? There wasn't a canon of ethics before, and now people speak as if there's been one all along...

Someone mentioned something about the financial value of the sets being tied into the registry. That may well be, but how is it appropriate for one party to lobby for one set of rules (or ethics) for financial gain but the other party cannot lobby for another set of rules?

For those of you arguing your point to protect the financial health of your sets, I would suggest that you come clean and make it perfectly clear that your argument has nothing to do with ethical behavior. It's all about financial opportunism.

EVP

• Options
    EVillageProwler - what kind of force do you see in these threads? Seems like a general disagreement. The surprise here is that something new is shaping up that quite frankly has taken at least me by surprise. Never in my wildest dreams did I think someone could register the same coin in two different registries at two different grades!!!!!! I personally don't understand why anybody would take a coin out of the holder, regardless of which one it is graded in anyway - but to each his own. I thought you could register your PC coin IN the NGC registry, but not the other way around. Now we have a situation where TDN has interpreted the requirement and made this known. I still do not disagree with his ABILITY to interpret it anyway he wants. I believe it is in need of clarification and I am confident PCGS will do so. I also believe IMHO TDN will be disappointed to find out that once its out of its holder its out of the registry, but that is just MY opinion. PC will decide what they require.

I don't get your point about financial gain. What registry you are in has little to do with financial gain when you are collecting. You pay what you pay and sure you can in certain circumstances "make more on a coin if its crossed to the other holder". None of this is even on the table. TDN put his nuts on the line when he said this was HIS ETHICAL APPROACH to a scenario. And quite frankly, no surprise many collectors feel that in some small way this thread is evaluated as if a fast one is being pulled. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, its just a feeling. People collect and try to get to the higher registered set status and now they hear about an interpretation???????????? Think about it. I does give one pause. Again, I respect his opinion, and hope it gets the needed clarification. With the resources he has I hope he stays out of the lincoln registryimage
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOTTOM LINE:

PCGS needs to clarify its intentions on this issue. A "one liner" would likely cover it (one way or the other).

Once PCGS clarifies it, there will be no open issue of interpretation.

I personally expect PCGS to only permit CURRENTLY encapsulated PCGS coins in their registry (other than whatever sets they chose to "estimate").

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TDN will be disappointed to find out that once its out of its holder its out of the registry

No disappointment. Like I said - I own both a PCGS MS64 and an NGC MS65 for both the 1873CC and the 1877.

And I expected nothing else but PCGS to declare that the coin must remain in the holder. But I did want a clarification.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Here's the rule:

Only coins that are CURRENTLY in PCGS holders qualify for inclusion in sets (except where PCGS estimate the grade of a set).

This policy has been clarified in the RULES, but should you have any further questions, please feel free to email me directly. Thank you.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    Wow! Wondercoin even got the cadence right! Fess up - did you write that? image

BJ - thank you for the clarification. I don't know why I argued so strenuously as I suspected that would be your exact clarification. I guess I just get tired of it always being about the plastic holder and not the quality of the coin inside. Keep up the good work! image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Wow! Wondercoin even got the cadence right! Fess up - did you write that? "

TDN: Hey, I must admit, my word "CURRENTLY" really does close down the ambiguity well. If PCGS borrowed the word from one of my posts, it is with my blessings image

And, so ends another weekly saga of "As The Coin Turns". image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS does not allow coins in a different service holders or raw to be entered in the registry. >>

<< <i>Wrong. TDN competes directly with a set that is not only NOT in PCGS holders, many are in NGC holders, and owned by multiple different people. >>

WRONG Just because TDN is doing it should not be interpreted as being ok according to PCGS. My opinion with all due respect to TDN is that due to the vagueness in the rules he should have gotten a clarification from PCGS prior to doing it.

<< <i>PCGS has seen fit to give them the respect they deserve with an estimated grade. >>

<< <i>Fine, than create a special registry for these sets. Until they do, TDN is right. >>

WRONG! Since when did two wrongs ever make a right?

The coin in the slab is the integrity of the registry. Anyone or party with a registered collection should be able to prove ownership of each and every " PCGS slabbed coin" at any given time.

That is the intent of the rules.

If that is not so then why does anyone collect coins when an insert collection will do just fine. Buy a PCGS slabbed coin and enter it in your PCGS set crack it out keep the insert and send it to NGC for an upgrade. Then enter it in your NGC set but again crack it out keep the insert and sell it. That way you can keep recycling your money and within a year or so you will definatly be #1. And hey you did own the all time #1 set just not all at the same time. Who can argue with that interpretation?image
    Bill

• Options
    Man I take to long to put my thoughts in type................ BJ jumped in between me. Sorry All...........

Thanks BJ for clearing it all up.
    Bill

• Options
    HUH?????

That previous post is completely out of whack. Where did you get the misperception that Russ was stating my coins are raw and compete head to head raw with an estimated set????? He's merely stating that there is an estimated set in the area of my collection and that very few of the coins actually in that set have ever been in a PCGS holder.

PCGS has spoken. Enough already.
  • Options
    TDN, you are correct it was out of wackimage

Sorry I confused it with you using one coin in both the NGC & PCGS registey after it was crossed over to an NGC slab.

<< <i>Wrong. TDN competes directly >>

with >>

a set that is not only NOT in PCGS holders, many are in NGC holders, and owned by multiple different people. >>

Gotta admit it could be misinterpretedimage
    Bill

• Options
    Will PCGS now change the description of the Registry, both on their site and in all marketing of it, now that it currently is incorrect?

The above cannot be true if PCGS makes you remove a coin they graded.
  • Options
    Hi!

Now that BJ has nicely issued a statement, let me stir the pot just a little bit more. (I'm really not trying to be a rascal...)

Suppose I have a coin that is graded by NGC as MS64 and I get it crossed into PCGS as MS63.

Can I register it as MS64 over there and MS63 over here?

Please understand that BJ speaks for this registry only...

EVP

PS Please understand that this is a hypothetical situation...

• Options
    Also, suppose I crack out a previously registered coin. Can I still leave it in the NGC set?

Obviously, we're looking for NGC also to issue a statement, but suppose what they say is more lenient than what BJ said.

Should we simply conduct ourselves as if NGC said the same thing as PCGS? Does it matter?

EVP

• Options
    This topic really needs to die but hey, one more time.

<< <i>The above cannot be true if PCGS makes you remove a coin they graded. >>

It is you the collector that is responsible for maintaining the integrity of your registered set. IF YOU choose to remove a coin from its PCGS grade guaranteed slab then you no longer own a coin certified by PCGS and the grade is again a matter of opinion and questionable in the eyes of the registry and other collectors (That is not me saying the grade on the slab is absolute "just guaranteed"), the coin has been subjected to a different unprotected enviornment, and the coin/insert relationship is brought into question. PCGS does not force you to remove a coin rather YOU choose to disqualify it from inclusion.
    Bill

• Options
    I think, Bill, that DD55 is simply trying to assault the semantics of the CU/PCGS Registry advertisement.

Regards,

EVP

• Options

TDN - Wouldn't you rather have your coin in a PCGS ms 65 holder than in an NGC ms 64 holder ? You spoke of not having your blood pressure raised. Have you tried lobbying for the upgrade ? Perhaps someone else can be successful at getting the ms 65 grade.With all your resources and contacts,I can't believe you have given up trying to get your coin properly graded at PCGS

FYI David Hall told me I can be the biggest pain in the ass.We're still friendly and always say hello to each other and respect each others judgement

As far as proof 70's go everyone knows they are no different than 69's.PCGS did a wise move discontinuing them as even the government destroyed recently unsold Proof sets because of tarnishing..........But now NGC grades them Proof 70

Stewart

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi! Now that BJ has nicely issued a statement, let me stir the pot just a little bit more. (I'm really not trying to be a rascal...) Suppose I have a coin that is graded by NGC as MS64 and I get it crossed into PCGS as MS63. Can I register it as MS64 over there and MS63 over here? Please understand that BJ speaks for this registry only... EVP PS Please understand that this is a hypothetical situation... >>

I asked this same question but used my 1976-S NGC MS68* Ike as an example (it crossing into a PCGS MS67 holder).
    Is it "MS67" on the PCGS side but still "NGC MS68*" on the NGC side?

peacockcoins

• Options
    If you register here it's a 63. If you also register at NGC, follow their rules. If they allow it as an NGC 64 then do it. If not, then don't.

Greg
  • Options
    Stewart: Anyone would rather have a PCGS MS65 than an NGC MS64!!! image

Perhaps I will lobby. I showed the coin to Chris Napolitano and he unhesitatingly stated it should be a PCGS MS65 and that it was the finest he'd ever seen. I almost walked it thru at LB, but they were soooo tight.

But....the stars are not fully struck - only about 75%. Better than over 90% of all 1877's, but not sharply struck for the series. I guess I'll never understand why a PF67 can have completely flat stars, but an MS65 must have sharply struck stars.

Are there any dates in the IH series where weak strikes are notorious? Are they strict on that specific date?
  • Options

Trade Dollar Nut - FYI The grading was tight all week at Long Beach until Friday.....then the window of opportunity opened.....I went 4/5

There are many dates in the Indian cent series where the upper feather tips are almost never fully struck.The difference is they will call them ms 66 and not ms 67
    However in the Lincoln cent series they will never call a 1922 Lincoln cent ms65 red
    Nor have they ever called a 1955/55 Lincoln cent ms 66 red

I would suggest you send that trade dollar in Round Table Review and on the invoice explain as briefly as possible why you feel it should be an ms 65 ......Good Luck !!!!!!!

Stewart