Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Toning vs White?

Is toning more accepted in some areas of the USA (and/or world), than in other areas?

I know I prefer blast white, and I am from Wisconsin.

What do you prefer, and what state/area/country are you from?

Tonyimage

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer clean, brilliant coins. It's hard not to like SOME toning, though. I think the ones that look like the Las Vegas strip are wierd, but I've seen nickel coins toned in deep hues of blues shaded into purples that are just gorgeous.

Oh, yeah. Texas. image
    (Hook 'em, Horns!)
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Toning is Ok if it looks good, but 95% of toned coins just look dirty. White.... or...... Rainbows! Dip all others! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Eye Appeal. That is mostly found, for me, with blast luster, Rainbow toning.
    I do own some absolutely HeadLight white coins though and find them stunning too.

Off toning? No.
    Flat white? No.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Let the pictures speak for themselves image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    FC57

Thanks for the images. And I agree that last one is butt ugly!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Go with the eye appealing regardless white or toned. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    White coins are nice but I believe we all know a super toned coin when we see it although some series just don't tone well. In the Jefferson series, most circ. strikes will have somewhat of a tone......be it gold, blue, violet, yellow, green, or a combination of all colors. I think that when this is evident, showing great eye appeal and rainbow hues there is much appeal. The same with the proofs. Color toning on the mirrors oF some Jefferson Proofs is just stunning.

Enjoy your coins......

NICKEL TRIUMPH BASIC PROOF SET......100% TODAY.....
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I need to stick up for the toned people. no two are alike. I do not think that can be said for white. Somewhat boring, but to each their ownimage
  • Options
    I'll try to drive this back to the original question.

Do you prefer toned or white, and what state do you reside?

This thread was not intended to say one is better than the other. Because I prefer mine to be white doesn't mean I there is something wrong with toned. People are different and we all collect different coins. It a hobby there is no right or wrong.

Tony

• Options
    AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    I'm from Southern California and I prefer a blast white coin!image
    Rick II
    I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • Options
    Blast white, 99.99% of the time.

NE FL
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

NICER:

NICEST:

From the Liberal State of Oregon. (Go Ducks)
  • Options
    fairlaneman--Very nice. I like the white one best, but they all look good.

• Options
    As you see I like them all. Tough question for me to answer. I'll say Original is my answer, Toned or White.

Ken
  • Options
    Hey Ken, isnt that my 34D???? I guess that answers the question..lolimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    I prefer original toning. I am almost a total convert from the "dip 'em" camp.

- San Jose CA
  • Options
    Dennis:

You do not want it. As you can see its a Non FB Coin. Huh ?? Send in for Regrade ?? Naw I know what the coin is. Also how did you like My stance on this question. Am I getting converted to the White Camp ?? Nope, just the Original Camp as Carl suggested. Dipped White, you can spot them from Miles away. Unfortunately I own some also but they will be replaced when the correct coin is found.

Ken
  • Options
    I currently collect proof Barber quarters. I chose to collect the entire series in brilliant cameo. I feel it is far more fun and challenging to collect an entire series with coins that have the same look.

Next, I will probably collect the with motto Proof Seated Liberty quarters in all beautifully toned for the entire series.

To me a consistent series whether brilliant or toned is far more impressive than the individual coin itself or a series collected with a mixture of each. For the classic proofs series both brilliant cameos and beautifully toned coins are difficult and rare. It is about as difficult to collect either set. Take your pick.
  • Options
    Ken,
    I was thinking you might like WHITE after all, but after reading your response, I agree. I must be in favor of Oldcamoe though, I started out, ALL WHITE, and I want a matched set. I will probably get a toned set together of a different series later on, like my buffaloes have started out. Nice pics!
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    White coins are my preference, but I do like some of the toned ones also.

Walt
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I am from Palm Springs, CA and I like some of each, white, blast white, off white; toned - rim toned, mottled, crescent, hodge podge, target, tab, woodgrain in blue, gold, russett, orange, red green, yellow, seafoam green, purple, etc..

I like a good variety and can see the merits of each.

• Options
    Now those are the colors I was thinking of....
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I like blast white coins. And I really do not like toning at all.

I'm from Minnesota.

-Geoman
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I did not state from which state I'm from. Massachussetsimage
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm from Illinois and I have and like all of the coins described by prooflike. I just like nice original coins weather they are white or toned. Probably all coins that are over 50-60 years old and do not have some toning probably have been dipped weather you want to admit it or not.

JMHO

Jon
  • Options
    Keep 'em coming.

What state/ country/ etc. do you live and what do you prefer white or toned.?

Tony

• Options
    I'm from Los Angeles and I actually like both. My Registry proofs I prefer to be blast white, but as I have looked @ various Ikes I have found quite a few toned silver proofs that I have come to love and I am now collecting them as well but not for registry purposes. I'm also finding the Jefferson blue/lavender/golds quite attractive and I just scored a really nice 76 Lincoln proof with wild reverse toning. Once the toning bug gets in your blood, its tough to shake!

I challenge anyone to look at Texas Bullion Traders' (Brian) coins and not immediately drool.

Michael

-----------------------------------------

MW Fattorosi Collection

Eisenhower Proofs
    SBA Proofs
    Sac Proofs