Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS grading: What have been your results this month?

Just got back from the LB show where there was alot of moaning about the tough grading (all 3 services). Upon returning home and checking some submissions I was 0/8 trying to crossover some NGC IHC's to PCGS, many of them photosealed.

As dealers were returning to their tables (from PCGS with undergraded coins) it was a good chance to buy, both for dealers and collectors. Shylock and I lucked onto a couple of monster PCGS 1881 65R's that had just returned to the bourse from PCGS.

So what's been your experience the last month or so - is it even worth submitting coins in the current grading environment? What sort of barometer could be developed to indicate it's time to start submitting again??
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I've had five submissions this month. About 50% of the coins came back with exactly the grade I anticipated, about 30% with a higher grade than I thought, and about 20% lower. Either the graders are having mercy on me for all the lousy grades I've gotten in the past, or I've finally figured out how to grade my series.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I have only had one submission in the past month. Various 70's proof coins. Out of 9 submissions 100% were PR69 DCAM. I was expecting at least 3 to come back PR68 CAM or DCAM so they really surprised me. Based on what everyone else is saying, I'm going to wait awhile before my next submission though.

Michael

-----------------------------------------

MW Fattorosi Collection

Eisenhower Proofs
    SBA Proofs
    Sac Proofs
  • Options
    I just got back 20 Kennedy halves graded just about where I thought they should grade.

Frank
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have a few coins(1854 Half Cent,1938 Proof Lincoln,1854 SL Dime,1854 Type 3 Gold Dollar)I need to send in.I've held off because of some of the results you'all have posted.Should I wait until the Baltimore/Washington coin show or send them in now?
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I have also heard horror stories about grading at the LB show. I had three coins walked through PCGS by friends for regrades and went 1/3 with the one coin being a two grade bump (MS63RD to MS65RD). Not sure if that makes me 1/3 or 2/3.image I honestly thought the one I got right had a shot at 66...but coming out of a 63 holder I was more than happy with a 65. Prior to this show I've recently been 0/4 and 0/2 on regrades and had one raw coin that came in where I expected it to. I'm also starting to get a PILE of Lincoln regrades and raw coins just sitting around waiting for things to loosen up a bit.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

I went 0/16 during the week of Long Beach..........until Friday......

and then went 4/5.......The lingo is called window of opportunity....

There is no rhyme or reason.......Keep trying.....Believe in your coins

Stewart
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart:

Good advice and congratulations. Do you recommend:

1. Cheap service and wait a month?

2. Same day?

3. Leave in holder or crack out??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Lakesamman

I only recommend show service or round table review.Get a second opinion.Leaving the coin in the holder is always the safest bet. Congratulations on the acquisition of that gorgeous 1894 !!!!

Stewart
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The crossover route, which Lakesammman used, leaves the largest margin for subjective grading and is my biggest gripe about PCGS. Sometimes I think they should let us pay half the cost and just hand us back the slabs without looking at them. I failed (for the second time) on a photosealed IH cross, but they did accept my reholder request on another.

• Options
    Stewart is right: believing in your coins, and persistence is key. On Friday, I successfully crossed over an NGC PR68 1939 Jefferson nickel. I tried once before, a month ago, with a minimum grade of PR68, and it didn't cross. I knew if they cracked it out, they would see the quality. I resubmitted, in the slab, with a "cross at any grade," and got the 68. Actually, it restored my confidence a bit.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

I had a tough luck this month. I cracked out one quarter eagle from PCGS MS63 holder and hope for MS64 or a shot to MS65. It's surface is so clean and luster is also very nice. It came back with questionable color .....

What else I can say. The coin was sent in early March this year and 6 months later inside a PCGS holder, PCGS does not like its color anymore image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    0/7 regrade on my favorite set...Mercury Dimes... without question, they should have upgraded... nothing else to say.. thanks for listening.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>