Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

GAI set registry and SMR set to roll

Talked a while with Mike Baker last nite at Ft. Washington show.

He says that that they are almost ready to post a registry site on their website which is:

GAI website

Also, they will be introducing their new SMR guide. Mike did admit though, they are still in their relative infancy in grading, and do not have enough data (submissions) to come up with a pop report as of this time.

Interesting stuff. Any comments?
building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9

Comments

• Options
    GAI????? Did you post this on their Message Board also?

Thats Nice.
    x
  • Options
    Who cares about GAI??? Like the industry needs ANOTHER grading service..... Mike Baker bailed on PSA and I couldn't care less about his little venture.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    My guess is there isn't a regular sized baseball set in which GAI has graded 50% of the cards in the set.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

<< <i>Mike did admit though, they are still in their relative infancy in grading, and do not have enough data (submissions) to come up with a pop report as of this time. >>

What a crock of shiit!

They certainly have the information to put together a pop report!
    They know what they have graded so far don't they?

They do not want everyone else to know just how FEW cards
    they actually have graded.

And as to the registry and "SMR" (which is a brand name by the way, so they can not use it!)
    It is really funny to see the former employees of a company
    go off on their own and then SIMPLY COPY EVERYTHING THEIR
    OLD COMPANY DOES!

Hopefully MOST People are not stupid enough
    tofall for this sad attempt.
    imageimage
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Who cares about GAI ?, who cares about PRO, CSA, CTA, Mint, TFA, AGS, Champs, Snaggletooth, or even SGC or BGS ? Who cares about the other 25 or more " Expert Grading Companies" out there ?

Maybe we should care. Many novice collectors and the general public as well, assume any 9 or mint card is equal to any other, regardless of the grader. Plenty of beginners who may have become real hobby members are turned off when they realize they paid way too much for a graded mint example from bingo grading company. TV rants about the grading companies they use to over value many graded items.

We, the hobby or interested collectors, have NO journal, group, website, club, association, or any kind of organization to regulate , monitor, or even recognize grading companies. At least carpenters, cab drivers , doctors, and many other "professionals" have some formal training and get a liscense to practice their trade.

I know it's a free country, but in the USA most consultants, appraisers, advisors, and parties who can render "expert" opinions, are regulated somewhat. But any card collector who can get some slabbing equipment, advertises a bit, maybe has some dealer connections, or for whatever reasons/qualiifications can start up an "Expert grading company" in his garage.

Should we stick our heads in the sand, like an ostritch, and hope the unworthy graders will go away if we just ignore them ? I don't really know, perhaps it's too late to do any good. It's certain all non-big three graders are not unqualified boobs with a quick buck their only motive, but.... Wouldn't it be nice to have an unbiased, unrelated to a grading company, source provide some kind of monitoring for the graders ? image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    I personally like GAI along with SGC and a couple of the others. If it weren't for credibel competition would we be having set registry specials and quicker turnaround? I don't think so. The fact that SGC has a fair share of the pre war market and GAI poses a threat based upon who the owners are makes PSA a better company. I don't have any plans on using any other company but the fact that they are out there helps me with better service and pricing from PSA.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    God Bless GAI, Beckett, SGC, and all the other companies out there.

There is NOTHING like healthy competition in the marketplace. Remember that they only came into existence as a DIRECT result of the rotten, inefficient, overpriced service that PSA provided when they were the only grading company (forget ASA).

Now PSA is the organization that it should have been from the get-go.

Prices are fair, service is superb, and they actually listen to and act upon customer complaints.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Very well put Wayne.......Competition is what makes any business strive to do better....with customer service....quicker grading turnarounds...and of course, grading fees.
    Sadly, some newer collectors will meet with a grim realization one day that their "Ace Grading Company Gem Mint 10" that they paid out the nose for, will have the same resale value of used cat hair.......but, I would venture to guess that each and every one of us have horror stories that we could tell.
    We live....we collect...and accumulate experience.
    The fly-by-night graders out there over time will fall by the wayside....and the serious grading companies with great credibility such as PSA will continue to be standing in the end.

Now...where's the free gradings for this testamonial I was promised..... image
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
  • Options
    Here's a prediction: Within five years, 3/4ths of the grading companies will be bought out by PSA or will have gone out of buisness on their own. I also predict that eventially PSA will buy out either SGC or Beckett (probably SGC) leaving only two significant grading companies. PSA will prevail and prosper. That's what I think will happen, not necessarily what I hope will happen.

From my view on the sidelines, the business of grading cards is a rough business. I don't think PSA can make money grading cards at $6 a whack. Not with the general overhead, and the labor, etc. The cost to the consumer will eventially go up as the competition disappears.

1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer
  • Options
    The only real competition to PSA is Zardoz Grading. The rest are all also rans. The threat of zardoz 11's is what made PSA the company they are today! Thanks Paul.

edited for spelling
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    So they have not graded enough cards to start a pop report but are going to have their own "SMR". Basically, than, 90% of the prices in the guide will be made up and hypothetical prices. Sounds like a great guide to me, where can I buy one?
  • Options
    No different to any other price guide out there
  • Options
    .......and yes, thank you Buckwheat. You are indeed correct, they live in fear of ZAG, and quite wisely so image
  • Options
    One thing GAI was doing was a pre-grade inspection. For $3. they would pre-grade your card. After finishing (less than 10 minutes), they would tape a grade sticker over the top of your card-saver. If you wanted to go ahead and have holdered, they would take card and just charge the balance of whatever grading service you chose, and it would be holdered in the grade that was given.

If PSA had this program, I can assure you I would have saved hundreds in grading fees. Perhaps that is precisely the reason they don't have this program.

Mike B. also mentioned that one of PSA's head graders just got on board the GAI train last week. Wonder who it was? Chris? Charlie?
  • Options
    I am kind of skeptical of " Pre-graded" cards. I have heard that Becketts' pre-grade is just an estimate, not an absolute assurance that the pre-grade will equal the final when fully and properly done in a correct environment with professional lighting, reference material, magnifiers, and of course the second grader to verify/reject the original grade.

Ten minutes is all GAI needs to fully evaluate a card worth perhaps thousands of dollars ?? I also do not really like the idea of show grading for similar reasons as prior. Some type of this questionable"pre-screening" might be more suited to a send-in to the office, where there is no chance a pre card could be damaged/altered rather than allow a "pre" to be sent in for encapsulation at a later time.

Regardless of the accuracy, time, conditions, etc. for a "pre" card, it is quite subject to a change in the pre-grade rating if the owner does not exercize much care for the tape sealed, flexible, five cent holder it's in. If a pre-grade is shown to be an honest expert estimate of a card's potential final grade that seems reputable. If one can guarantee in ten minutes, the authenticity of the card, the precise measurement of the centering, the detection of minute flaws front and back, reference all others of this type/year to compare mentally, and the host of other elements which make up the overall appeal of a card, all this done in an unfamilar setting, not viewed privately in the home office......... hmmm, wouldn't you be just a little skeptical ???image
  • Options

<< <i>Mike B. also mentioned that one of PSA's head graders just got on board the GAI train last week. Wonder who it was? Chris? Charlie? >>

He was NOT the Head Grader.
    His name is Danny Fisher.
    Here is the thread that Details his move.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I agree competition in the market place is a good thing. However, I really don't care to read about what GAI is doing on this board. I use PSA and this is their site. Scoop------Maybe you should take it to the GAI site where you won't become a bore to everyone. It sounds like you've jumped on their band wagon.
    I collect the 1960 and 1961 Nu Card issues. I also enjoy the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges.
  • Options
    can you register the FAKE 1963 bazookas mantles they graded?
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    GAI just picked up Danny Fisher from PSA late last week. Danny is a very knowledgable grader and a wonderful PR guy. Something went wrong between him and PSA or GAI stepped up and made a better offer.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    I agree that losing Danny Fisher is a big loss. He was the primary guy I dealt with from psa about any and all issues but particularly submissions at the Ft. Washington show.
    I think GAI is making significant inroads and it is showing up primarily through national vintage dealers and auction houses who are carrying more of their graded cards. Other than friendships-past arrangements with Baker/Rocchi I don't know why the dealers are doing this. I really don't like finding a card I need for one of my sets in GAI 8 and then having to go through the whole crossover process if I really want the card. My only recourse is telling the dealers that to the extent they carry more GAI cards in the future I am likely to do materially less business with them. I am only one buyer but I do hope to influence these guys. All the stories about that certain major dealers were given better grades on reviews/resubmissions as they were friends of Baker also rubs me the wrong way about this company.
    PSA in my opinion does a good job and having other grading companies in the mix is a nuisance I would rather do without.
  • Options
    Danny Fisher is the most arrogant man I ever met. He belongs with Baker and Rocchi all they care about are getting the dealers to switch to global and padding their own pockets, They could not give a damn about the collector, Time after time they would give the collector a lower grade on a card and the same card submitted by a dealer would get a higher grade, All this will do is make PSA more popular with the dealer and collectors by being fair to both. I predict within 18 months global will be broke and out of buisiness,
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Well, I dont know Danny Fisher and I only met Mike Baker once but I can tell you this Steve Rocchi is a good man to deal with. Hes a gentleman and a man of his word. I never had a problem when he was with PSA or now at GAI. He always listened to new ways to price card grading and was always helpful with any concerns I had. Most of my dealing with PSA now are with Lyle Raimer who I must say has always been just as helpful. Lyle is not a grader but has always been A-1 when it came to my service needs. It offends me when I hear people claim that there is funny business going on. I dont believe it. I've submitted over 10000 cards in the last 2 years and if there was any grading favoritism going on I never saw it. I dont know for sure but I bet that puts me in the top 20% of submitters. My customer service is better because of my submissions and I might get better turnaround because of the bulk but I will tell you it didnt help in the grades I got and thats the credibility. Yes I sent cards back for review and very very few ever got upgraded with Mike Baker or with out him now.
    I also feel GAI is going to be a force in the grading industry, it will take some time but they'll get there. Quality will always endure. PSA and GAI and even SGC will keep each other on there toes. The final product will benefit all collectors.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I agree with Davalillo. By our association with the registry, we need PSA graded cards for our sets, not GAI. Sure competition makes for better services, but I'm not going to bid on GAI cards that I need, and I'm going to let the dealers know it. There were a whole bunch of nice cards in the last Mastro auction that I wanted, but didn't bid on because they were GAI. If more of us do the same, the problem will solve itself.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Mantlefan,

I started calling selective national dealers today and told them my business would dry up if they continued to expand their presense in GAI cards. There are some guys who I have done substantial business with that think its great that they are now offering customers a choice. I am now giving them a choice--I am not organizing a boycott of dealers who carry a lot of GAI cards but perhaps others will follow suit.

Davalillo
  • Options
    The registry is a succussful marketing campaign, nothing more! Competition breeds evolution. Change and adaptive ability ensure the health of Psa as well as the hobby. If Psa isn't prodded, why would anything improve other than their bottom line? Gai and Sgc may not be the answer, but to withdraw suppport for other grading companies as well as those dealers who attempt to support them based on a profit enhancement idea called "the registry" is myopic. Does everyone in this forum only wear shirts with aligators and polo players?
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>can you register the FAKE 1963 bazookas mantles they graded? >>

Skinsfan, wasn't that FGS, not GAI, that graded the fake Bazookas? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    GAI does seem to have deep pockets ...as far as dealers go ...i just dont buy their GAI cards.

i just bought a card graded PSA 8 for 20 dollars ...another dealer had the same card graded by GAI on ebay, same grade w/ a buy it now of 14 dollars. it didnt sell.

so unless that card would have been a PSA 7 to start with ..i just dont understand how dealers could be losing money in the name of friendship

i just dont bid on GAI or even SGC cards and i try to stick w/ sellers who deal mainly w/ PSA graded cards.

if they sell any other off brand stuff in large quantities i stay away at all from them.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    FGA GRADED SOME but they sent 5 mantles to gi all came back 8,s and nines lol nice artical about it in scd this week heres a quote (cramer said wanted to get some of the best cards graded to sell at a premium,as well as to confirm that they were , in fact genuine , so i submitted them to GIA global authentication , inc of irvine , calif. and recieved them back graded and authenticated. THEY ALL CAME BACK GRADED EIGHT OR NINE. after being contacted by SCD ,cramer returned the cards to GIA for further review. on sep 17th SCD spoke with global presdent STEVE ROCCI.he said he recived the back and upon review determined that they were indeed COUNTERFEIT. rocci said the fact that they got by it the first place was a simple mistake. and said he (rocci) had purchased the cards from cramer and removed them from GIA slabs) UNQUOTE i wonder who graded those cards .i mentioned it to a dealer set up right next to global at the fort show who was telling a tale of how bad psa was and how great global was to several guys he was trying to sell to i was shaking my head he asked me what you dont think psa is on the way out and global is the future, thats when i mentioned the mantles he of course had no responce and kind of nicely ignored me SO TO QUOTE FOREST GUMP (THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT )
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, Skinsfan.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Davalillo,
    I dont know you. I dont think you ever bought anything from me. I also dont sell cards for a living, but as a head of a company that provides a service, if you , a customer called me and told me that if I keep getting cards graded and sold them from a company other than the one you wanted I would tell you , "Thanks for you previous business, your patronage will be missed". You really have a huge set to go out of your way to make calls to businessmen or women who are trying to make a living by providing a service to a wide margin of collectors. There not there just to serve you. I might get some flack for writing this but your statements I found to be offensive, and they dont even effect me, so think about what the dealers you called must be thinking. You have a great collection, there's no debating that, but I think your out of line, as I might be writing this.
  • Options
    Gaspipe,

I told the dealers I was only speaking for myself and that their decisions would affect my business. I did it in a gentlemanly way and a couple said they had not considered that perspective. I have known these guys--at least some of them for --for at least 10-15 years and always tell them what I think. I think you are out of line for trying to tell me how I should interact with long term suppliers and friends that I have done a lot of business with in the past.

Davalillo
  • Options
    Skinsfan,

What about the fake Fro Joy Babe Ruth card that PSA just graded?

Aren't these the easiest of all fakes to spot?

• Options
    Dav,
    There's no doubt that I'm out of line. I even said that with my last post. Lets also think, how long will your relationships last if your not buying cards from these people who need to make a living? Not very long. Are your sales going to support all of them? I dont think so. I was just stating a fact that if a customer came to me and said what you did , they wouldnt be a customer anymore. Dont think for a minute a few of them didnt tell you where to go under there breath after you said it. Lets also be realistic , I'm sure Mike Baker graded a huge amount of your collection. Are you not happy with the grade your cards are in? Is Mike Baker a worse grader now than when he was with PSA? I can tell you now that he's just as tough as he was with PSA. I can also tell you I'm having decent success with cracking out GAI 8's and getting PSA 9's, also every GAI 9 I broke out has returned from PSA with a 9. Does this mean PSA is slipping? No , not at all. GAI is trying to build a reputation, and for a flegling outfit there not doing a bad job. Has PSA not gotten better with SGC and GAI being there? Damn straight they have. Do I want my cards in PSA holders now? Yes.. I will also tell you this, you buy the card not the holder. If I find a GAI or SGC card that I like I'll buy it. If I wish to crack it out and resubmit to PSA I'll do that too. I just have to say, calling a businessman up whether he's a friend or not and telling him my business will dry up if you keep expanding into GAI in my opinion is ballsy.Your right, its none of my business, and I should keep my big mouth shut, but write a statement like you did on a public forum and you were either looking for someone to agree with you, or a group too. I didnt. Hope there's no hard feelings. I stated my opinion on the statement you made.

Bob
  • Options
    Gaspipe - I'm not sure how that is offensive.

Not only are those dealer providing an additional service for some people, but they are doing a disservice to those people that would have been interested in those GAI cards that should have been in PSA holders.

I would think that a business owner would want feedback from some of their significant buyers before they are sitting there one day going, "Where are all of those clients that used to spend dough with us?"

In the long run, the dealers are going to buy and sell and submit where and when the market suggests.

It's true that they are not just there to serve one of us, but they have been given information by a customer (and they didn't even have to pay $3 for the survey). What ever they do with that information is up to them. They will make their own bed, and they will lay in it is well.
  • Options
    Skinsfan,
    I think that you'll find that your going to have camps set up for each grading company. I'm not a PSA fan, or a GAI fan, I'm a card fan. I've always tried to but the card not the holder. I must also admit, sometimes I bought the holder.

Bob
  • Options
    I've heard that a lot on this boards, Buy the card not the holder. But at $5 - $12 a pop, you are buying both.
  • Options
    Bang,
    Your right, you are. I think alot of collectors are now trying to get the cards graded themselves, cutting into the cost a little bit. I put up alot of commons now and the pricing is much less than it was. I'll probrably go back to selling raw lots. So if your looking for lots everyone email me and let me know. PSA did a great job at marketing the registry.

Bob
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Bob,

There are no hard feelings.

My view is that the people that I do business with should want to know how I feel about certain issues. Lets say if I have done an average of $50,000 withn a particular dealer over the past five years and on that $50,000 he makes $10,000(conservative) and lets say that represents 5% of his pretax income. I would think he would want to know how I feel. Look at all the money corporations spend to do customer surveys--I am providing feedback for free.
    I am sure that Baker is as good a grader as anyone and no doubt he has graded thousands of my cards but that is not the point. Unlike some, I do not have the time and probably the expertise to submit GAI cards to psa. I have barely enough time to respond to my e mails at home, do my job and spend time with my family. It is simply easier for me if everything is in a psa holder as I collect psa cards and psa sets. Are these dealers mad at me--I don't think so...are they likely to change because I am voicing my opinion and threatening to withdraw business? Probably not--but maybe if GAI cards do not sell well or sell for markedly less than psa cards, they will remember my call and perhaps it will make a difference.
    I understand where you are coming f5rom as a businessman but I think if you thouight about it you could see where I am coming from as well.

Davalillo
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to jump in here. I've been reading this thread and find it very interesting. I'm a collector/buyer
    of Psa and Sgc graded cards. I'd consider myself as a small crumb of a buyer compared to Davalillo.
    But I agree with his stance 100%. Just figured I'd let him know that he's not alone. I agree
    for many of the same and several different reasons too. I won't bore everyone with my reasons.
    Some of you on the board may even know some of them. I feel in the short time Gai has been
    in existence, they have forced their presence upon the collector. I don't like it.

Just one guy's opinion...

aconte
  • Options
    I don't but GAI cards. Not because I don't like them, or believe their is a conspiracy or that the traders are not professional. I'm just comfortable with PSA. I also buy SGC and Beckett cards (although I haven't bought a Beckett card in months), because I am comfortable with them also. When working with dealers I let my buying speak for me. If I ask for a certain card in a certain condition (let's say PSA 8) and they show me a GAI 8 card, I politely pass. Now that card may be as good if not better than the PSA 8, but I'm comfortable with the PSA 8.
    I believe that was the point that Davalillo was trying to make. If a dealers inventory is mostly GAI cards and he is a PSA buyer, they are going to get less of his business. Cards that he might have bought that are in GAI holders are now "No Sales" to him.
    I believe this industry has room for 3 (maybe 4) grading companies. GAI, through their contacts, friendships and PSA reputations, is just trying to be one of those companies. Let the market decide if there is room for them
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Dav,
    Your point is well taken. Although I may not agree with collectors reluctance to purchase GAI cards. I can and do respect there right not to. I will say that there are real good buys on cards in "other" holders that collectors should look at, especially on tougher cards. You might get a good deal.

Bob
  • Options
    in responce to there is going to be a nitch of cutomers standing behind each company of course there is. my point or opinion should i say is what i do not like about gia is there bashing of psa as a company on the out and idea of themselfs as the saviours of the graded card world.i see psa dealers selling mostly psa cards but also having some gia and sgc and will tell you stright up they respect for the most part how these 2 respective companys grade ,on the other hand gia dealers are balls to the walls telling horror stories about psa (funny but they dont seem to bash sgc )it is like they have a vendeta against psa. that is what turns me off personaly with gia AND I BUY THE CARD NOT THE HOLDER have crossed many sgc cards to psa because i to collect psa .when gia first came out i bought a few of there cards they crossed well also but i will not buy gia cards from a guy bashing the company i choose to use for my cards. so i guess what i am really saying it is not the grading i do not like so much it is the attitude of the guys selling them.maybe me baker could convey this point to the dealers choosing to use gi YOU DONT NEED TO BASH PSA TO SELL OUR COMPANY LET OUR GRADES SPEAK FOR THEMSELFS untill that as done i will stay away from any dealer who chooses to use gi as there main grading company
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I'll probrably go back to selling raw lots. So if your looking for lots everyone email me and let me know.

Bob,

Can you email me??? aponte@adelphia.net

Thanks,

Carlos

PS. Sorry to get off the topic..."I now return you to your regularly scheduled program."
  • Options

<< <i>Dav,
    Your point is well taken. Although I may not agree with collectors reluctance to purchase GAI cards. I can and do respect there right not to. I will say that there are real good buys on cards in "other" holders that collectors should look at, especially on tougher cards. You might get a good deal.

Bob >>

I would have no problems buying a GAI card if I could get it for a good price. The problem is that most sellers have opening bid or asking prices at or above the PSA market value. As far as I'm concerned, I view GAI as a generic brand. It may be every bit as good as PSA but they are still getting started and haven't established themselves as a company yet. SGC has been at it for years and yet they still often sell for less than thier PSA equivalents. If I can get a GAI card for a decent price to cross over to PSA, I'll buy it. But I won't pay PSA prices for GAI cards unless it's a card that is impossible to find (i.e., low to zero PSA populations).
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    Great points being made here. That is why I started this thread. I vehemently believe that discussion of other grading companies does belong on the PSA forum. Not just to "know your enemies" but to get to know the industry, as we all have a great deal invested in this hobby.

I am not a proponent or shill for GAI. In fact, I have a vintage set in the PSA registry (rated 7.99) in which I have invested a significant amount of time and $$ as most of you all have. Within my set are cards that I 1.)bought raw and submitted myself (in which I chose PSA over others), 2.) bought already in PSA holders from dealers, auctions, private deals, or on internet (ebay, teletrade), and 3.) bought in other holders and crossed over to PSA. Which method of the three I used was simply a product of one thing and one thing only.....the most inexpensive way to acquire the (legitimate) card that I needed for my set. Now when I started, Mr. Baker and Mr. Rocci were with PSA, and in choosing PSA, I was likewise choosing to accept their expertise. So, unless I thought as some do that they were guilty of past indescretions such as favor grading or bumping up, why would I not choose them as a viable source now?

I also understand Davalillo's point of how many grading companies (even reputable) do we need? It simply makes us, 1.) chose a grading co. and stick with it, or 2.) buy card not holder and if cost and time justifies, cross over to holder of choice. All I can say here, is that the US is a free enterprise economy, and the consumer will eventually make it known as to whether your product or service will survive.

• Options

<< <i>I don't but GAI cards. Not because I don't like them, or believe their is a conspiracy or that the traders are not professional. I'm just comfortable with PSA. >>

I agree with this statement from Fabfrank 100%

that is it in a nutshell for most every collector here.

(and those that venture out to other brands,
    it is almost with out question SGC or possibly BGS)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes indeed the USA is a free enterprise country, competetion greatly helps keep prices fair.

However, would you like to fly on a commercial airline with non-experienced pilots if they were economical and promised quicker flights? Would you choose the cheapest dentist to pull your tooth if he's not approved by some regulatory board ? Would you feel safe getting a taxi in downtown rush hour even though the cabbie has no drivers lic. ?

I know I must seem to be a harper, but wouldn't it be kind of good for the hobby to have SOME form of monitoring, regulation, approval, recognition, reporting, or any such thing of grading companies from an impartial source ?

I believe we can almost all agree that PSA and SCG with their experience and their relations to the older cion grading systems, are worthy and do not need approval/recognition. BGS probably , mainly due to tremendous card experience and data resources, also does not.

What about the other 30 or 40 "Expert Grading Companies" ? If a "key" employee leaves a big 3 outfit and starts one up, does that automatically make it professional ? CSA claims to be the 2nd oldest surving grader, aren't they therfore qualified ? Some claim to use objective computerized methods to grade cards, that sure sounds advanced.

I don't claim to know all about any grading company, but it's a shame many new collectors get duped or mislead with their first graded cards. I'm sure some non-big 3 are decent graders and pleasant to deal with. And of course all companies do make some mistakes. Doesn't some form of recognition/approval for gradong companies, even if by a small informal group of impartial hobbyists or to perhaps Sports Illustrated or ESPN, make some sense ?
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Bob> "I think alot of collectors are now trying to get the cards graded themselves. . ."

This was certainly the strong vibe I got at National this year. It seemed like everyone I talked to was interested in high-end raw stuff that they'd submit on their own, whether for their own sets or to turn over and sell.

And expect an e-mail from me re: raw stuff image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    As I look for the last few cards for some of my PSA graded sets...I have no reservation whatsoever with trying the "breakout game" with GAI cards. I guess that I could pretend to ride around on my white horse and claim that "I am buying the card and not the holder"...but the truth is that I am trying to find the cards in any holder or raw for that matter...that will come back as 8's or better from PSA.

Regards,

Alan