Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Thoughts on How We Spend

I've been thinking about how my logic works regarding what coins I spend $ on. While I would never go buy a 1909-S V.D.B Lincoln, I don't hesitate to buy a nice Seated Dollar in AU that costs about the same. Clearly when working on a type set, getting common dates is the way to produce the highest grade set at the lowest cost. I know others prefer type sets with tougher coins, but I don't have a thick enough wallet to support that.
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The main goal should be FUN! Buy what you enjoy. Even though there are a limited amount of coins such as the '09S VDB, and the '16D Merc., there seems that anyone who wants one can get one. It is harder sometimes to find some common dates in top condition. I set a limit on what I want and can afford. Also, I have pretty much over the years switched from buy raw to slabs (99.9% PCGS). I am having fun, and if down the road the coins go up in value--that's fine; and if they don't--that's fine, too.

Have fun and buy what you like!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay