Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1939-D Jefferson Nickel Reverse of 1940?

I just checked the status report on one of my PCGS submissions and saw that they listed my 1939-D Jefferson Nickel as the variety "Reverse of 1940."
I checked the status report and saw that there were only two coins graded with this variety. I was wondering if this was a scarce variety to find.. or if PCGS only recently started attributing it resulting in the low pop number.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Coin Update - Coin Collecting News and Articles - Updated Daily.

Mint News Blog - US Mint News, Product Information, and Commentary.

Comments

• Options
    Asdfy:

Until recently PCGS did not distinguish the 1939 reverse of 38 and 40. They do now and all coins previously graded were assumed by PCGS to be the reverse of 1938. If you have a previously graded reverse of 40 you need to resubmit for new coin number.

So the pops do not reflect the rarity of 1939 with the reverse of 40. The only thing that I am certain of there were 3 1939 reverse of 40 in MS67FS.

I recently popped a 1938S and 1939D (reverse of 38) in MS67FS to add to my 1939 P & D reverse of 40, both in MS67FS.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    PCGS just recently started attributing the 1939 nickels as either the
    Rev of 1938, or Rev of 1940. All of the previously graded nickels are
    defaulting to the Rev of 1938 in their system, but many of these are
    the Rev of 1940 and will be attributed as such in the future.

What grade is your nickel?

Ken
  • Options
    Mine was an MS66, no steps though.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Coin Update - Coin Collecting News and Articles - Updated Daily.

Mint News Blog - US Mint News, Product Information, and Commentary.