Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

If only I would have sold!......................

As I sit here revamping my collecton, I can't help but to laugh and shake my head at cards bought long ago; some for older sets and some to make a little money. And right now in front of me sits mint after mint after mint ................Bobby Bonilla...............

251 86D Rookies
1 86F Bonilla
11 86TT Bonilla
39 87D Bonilla
63 87F Bonilla

These were purchased in 3 transactions in 1989. I payed $0.65 for the 86D's and no more than $1.00 for any of the rest. At the height of his popularity these cards were selling well in the $8-15 range. I sold some (I believe I started with 325 86D Bobby Bo's) but got away from cards while attending college, work, and life in general.

I bought slightly fewer of Barry Bonds in these years, payed roughly the same amounts, but only have some 87D's and a few 86D and 87F left.

So, what do you do with 365 Bonilla's now, worth an approximate $3500+ at the top of the hype????......wallpaper, bicycle spokes, cousins and relatives of Bobby??

(I've heard that a certain someone has a monopoly on Canseco's but I don't know how many he has or had.)

I'm just curious to know how many of you have said the same thing: "If only I would have sold!"

BugOnTheRug

Comments

• Options
    It's interesting when you guy a collection, and you find a box of "keepers" that the dealer/collector was holding onto...I found a 5000 ct box just like that the other day, full of Kal Daniels RCs, Greg Jeffries RCs, Ricky Jordan RCs, about 500 Jerome Walton UD High # (remember those at $10-15?) - 5000 ct box, maybe average $2-3/card - $10K+ retail which I put aside as commons for $20/box...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Hey guys!

Maybe we can work a deal! I've still got 2,000 Rick Aguilera rookies along with about 500 Dan Pasquas and 500 Ivan Calderons. Luckily, I never paid more than 2 - 3 cents apiece for them but I'm betting that it will be 2026 before I see a positive return!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Yeah, who is that idiot with all the Canseco's?

I really feel sorry for that greedy, dumb bas tard. image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Come on Zardoz, what's the story with these mysterious Canseco's. How high is your stack compared to my Bonilla stack?

BOTR
  • Options
    BOTR

Meaning no disrespect to your fabulous Bonilla holdings, but 365 in number does not even meet the my overflow. Shall we say that my PSA 8's for the 86D #39 exceed that number several times over. Shall we talk PSA 9's? How about 10's? Ah yes those wonderful $400 PSA 10's.

Some things are best left unsaidimage
  • Options
    zardoz, based on that reply, now I REALLY want to know your totals. Also, when did you acquire most of these? Interesting stuff either way.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The totals of Zardoz' Canseco pile is diminishing every day. No he doesn't sell them, he uses them in place of cardbaord stuffers inside packages. I reported on the other board that I rec'd cards protected nicely w/ 2 PSA-8 Canseco 1986 Donruss Rookies. The cards inside was protected, but imagine my horror of opening the package and seeing Canseco wink at me, I thought he sent me the wrong cards. ...jay
  • Options
    Ah

It is indeed a sad, sad story.

As a postscript to my original post, my number is off. The correct number I am unhappy to report is in excess of 600 PSA 8's. Couple this with the 9's and 10's and the ancillary "rookie" cards from other manufacturers, the number is in four figures for slabbed. Raw the #'s are just too horrible to contemplate. Suffice to say, a lesson in greed.

As for obtaining these #'s. Once the word is out that you're a buyer, the offers come in. Plus you'd be amazed at how many 10 lots of PSA 8's that I got off of ebay at 160-200 per.

In addition, I would break factory set cases. A few months ago I sent Boggsie a couple of dozen 86D Boggs cards from the last couple of cases that I broke.

The only chance that I have of ever seeing any financial recovery is if Canseco decides to become a homicidal maniac and bump off a dozen people. I'll then have a two week window to market the cards to the usual ghouls that spring up when something like that happens. Remember selling OJ rookies EX to EX-MT for 60-70.00???? Try that today!

• Options
    Zardoz,

You missed the window of opportunity. Jose and Ozzie were just in the news a month or so back for getting into a scuffle in a night club. Canseco rookies were selling through the roof once more, as PSA 8 Cansecos tripled.... and went from $.15 to $.45, until a day later when they plummitted back to their normal selling range.... of $.10.

Hope I don't cause you any pain in reminding you of this once choice seller's market...

Ian
  • Options
    Verrry small chance of Canseco making the Hall. You'd get a slight bump on those cards, no?

Mark
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Zardoz,

Thanks for sharing your story. My guess is that many, many folks have speculated on players, and for various reasons, didn't pan out.

Canseco had the physical gifts to succeed (without the need for steroids), but didn't have the mindset or focus to be a leader with longevity, something that could have propelled a lock HOF career.
    Four things I remember most about him?

1) The quickest right-handed swing I have ever seen.
    2) His 40-40 season.
    3) Ester
    and (drumroll please........)
    4) His incredible off-the-top-of-his-head homerun for the other team later in his career.
    Amen.

BOTR
  • Options
    Let's not forget his dating Madonna image
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we should all help out Zardoz.

I think that we should all have a Zardoz PSA Canseco card in our collection as a badge
    of solidarilty and true board membership.

In the future, when the round table votes to allow another member in, you would
    then get your Canseco!.

Only the owners of these special Zardoz Canseco's (a unique sticker on the back of the holder or secret list of serial#'s) would be in the club.
    What do you think?

Loves me some shiny!