Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Well, NO MORE REGRADES FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I have wasted all the money I am going to waste on regrades.....sent 7 in (from ms63 to ms65), and not one regraded any different, and I am absolutly sure that 6 are to low, and one, should be FB.
So, after this time, thats it.
I just wanted to let the other merc guys and gals know, as I told them a month ago, I would post the results.
I hope all can have a great weekend!
Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>

Comments

• Dennis,

I can't speak for the Mercs' but I have had to send in the same coins several times in some cases to get the results I think the coin deserved. Sometimes Im just plain wrong on a coin but I guess its all just part of the game. Don't despair!

Maybe try a little fishing this weekend?

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe try a little fishing this weekend? >>

Hey! Is that a slam on Merc collectors?image

Russ, NCNE

• Thanks Larry, I may just go fishing with some of these undergraded lures..lolimageimage
    Dennis

My Dimes

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis:

BUMMER !!!

I know you have a Good Eye for these things. image Heck try them again !!....or Go Fishing. image Which ever will give you Peace of Mind do it.

Ken

PS: I WAS going to send some of My Raw Toned ones in. Better not as they will probably BB for AT. image
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had Very low grades comming back from PCGS. NO luck at all.
    I think that luck will change someday.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Ken,
    Thanks for the support, I do try to study, and listen to you guys as far as grading goes...heck, maybe I can go to work for them grading...wouldnt that be a riot.....image... but it looks like I grade too high, out of the 68 coins in my set I agree with all but 12 of them, either high or low...but dang, I can at least SEE A FSB, even without a glass......I think I will send them carrots for their eye sight....

Pat, I sure hope you are right.....someday, I may try again..(BIG MAYBE....)

spelling is getting to be a real problem for me..dang.
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Dennis,
    I have never had a regrade merc upgrade from pcgs!!at least not in the past 18months
    but what is interesting is I have had 2 upgrade in the past 4 months after I cracked
    and sent the same coin in raw.Seems a little strange to me
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • I was waiting for someone to bring that up, I myself believe they dont really cover up nothing, just take a glance at them (uncovered - the grade), so the grader can see it, and say to themselves, well its close enough.....and make thier job so much easier...then reslab it, and send it back.....
    I for one, will do exactly what you did, the next time....crack it and grade it....I think I stand a better chance, now that I see how this works. glad you said something.....image
    Dennis

My Dimes

• Russ,

I would never slam Mercs.image In fact I keep a roll in my tackle box!image

Dennis, I have had more luck as of late with crack outs than with regrades or crossovers.

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch... dont say that.

I just sent about 22 coins into PCGS. I got ripped last time. If I dont do any better this time, I'll probably send my lincoln short set to NGC instead of PCGS... the horror!

I also sent two coins in still in the holder for a regrade. Theres a 13-S in PCGS 63RB that I think should be 64BN (very little difference in value, but darn it... I like uniformity!) and a KILLER rainbow dollar in "64" that looks better than most 66's I've seen... even when not concidering the colors.

David

Image 1
    Image 2
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be the first to tell you this, but those guys are TIGHT these days. I'm not looking for upgrades from them right now.
  • David, your Morgan dollar is quite pretty but those reed marks on the cheek are going to keep the coin from regrading higher. Especially considering the other light chatter that appears to be present. I hope it works for you but I wouldn't think PCGS is being unreasonable if they leave the grade alone.

And yes, generally cracking is better than submitting in a holder. But that is dangerous in this current tight environment as you could very well face downgrades if a coin is low end to begin with.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis,

Sorry you had such lousy luck with the regrades, but I agree that cracking them out and sending them in raw is the best way to go. I find it hard to believe that graders aren't somewhat influenced by the grade on a coin that's already slabbed.

I just registered my Buffalo nickels tonight, and have some raw coins that I purchased 15-30 years ago that I want to have slabbed. I hope they're as generous as I thought they were with my latest Mercury addition, which is in a new blue label holder with the barcode on the front.

I have quite a few PCGS slabs that I think have a shot at a higher grade, but until I'm ready to sell, they'll remain in their current holders. I enjoy the registry, but don't take it so seriously that I'll attempt to upgrade a coin just for additional registry points. While a few upgrades would be welcome, it also seems like a waste of money if I'm planning to keep the coins for many years. Who knows what grading standards will be then?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what do you guys think the reason is for No upgrades ? Is PCGS looking at the Coins Luster more carefully or is it something else they are looking at to determine the coins grade or lack of grade ? Personally I think its Luster and Originality they are looking for now.

Ken
  • Jim,
    Nice buff set, it was nice enough to push me to 18th....but I am glad to see a few more getting the set started....

On the subject at hand..... I would not ever think of selling my set, but I just wanted the correct grade that they deserve, in fact, if I sent the whole set in, these were the only coins that I believe need to be upgraded. And that 31s..well you can see by the pics, its a fb....but I believe that I will take everyones advise, and try later down the road, crack them out to submit.....glad the general population agrees.

I feel better now, that I have let a little steam off, thanks for listening! image
    Dennis

My Dimes

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    In a grading class I took, we were told that when a coin is sent back in the holder for a regrade, the existing grade on the holder is entered into the computer as the first of the three grades. That would mean you need both of the two live graders to agree it's undergraded for the coin to get bumped up. If one of the two graders agree with the slabbed grade, the grade is unchanged.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information, Kranky. I had not heard that before. Thanks!
  • kranky - doesn't this info conflict with what Rick M just posted on the Q&A board? And if it does conflict with RM's answer I suggest we no longer pass along what we hear.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lincolnSence
    You beat me to the question..I thought Rick M said that PCGS covers the grade up..And if he said they do I believe him.Al
  • YEA THEY COVER THE GRADE WITH TISSUE PAPER
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb