Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$2 1/2 liberty AU58

Here's a neat looking $2 1/2 liberty I am trying to grade by a small picture. image mike
    $2 1/2 liberty

Comments

• Options
      Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
      I say you're right since the color of the fields is not the same color as the areas protected by the device elements; which indicates wear.
      Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    • Options
      darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
      Dog97- that's what I was thinking at first too but the color stays the same through stars five-eight and through the date area. These are some of the most protected areas so I wonder if this could be toning? thanks mike
    • Options
      PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
      The rims look like they have some good hit's,some of the stars look flat.
      Is that a scratch above the head? Almost looks like initals above the eagle trc or something below the tes in states.
      There is also a line going from the mouth to the eye, probably a hair on the holder or something.
    • Options
      Placid- I just enlarged the picture on my computer and I think what appears to be rim hits on the upper obverse is just the cellophane in the 2x2 but I do see a rim nick at 6:00 on the reverse. I see the area above the the head you pointed out but I can't really tell? that area seems too be a magnet for marks on liberty gold. I see what looks like a scratch between the last star and the date. thanks mike
    • Options
      Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
      darktone it could possibly be toning but probably light rub. I wouldn't swear to it though 2.5 is tough enough to grade when you're looking at it in hand. Here's a slabbed 58 to compare with:
      Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    • Options
      Dog97- I sure wish I had a picture of this 61 as clear as the 97 you have pictured. I really like the $2 1/2 liberty's of the 1890's all can be bought for under $200 in low grades with the highest mintage year only about 30,000 pieces and the lowest only about 2,500 minted. That would make a nice affordable short set. thanks mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file