Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I was a mail bidder in the Goldberg sale

Having been shut out in 2 previous sales, I decided to change my bidding strategy. Also, I was able to view the toned dollars in person twice before the sale: once at the consignor's shop, and later at the ANA. All of this effort proved successful as I was the high bidder on lot #581, the 1880-s ANACS 67 dollar. The consignor wrote me a nice note after the sale in which he said:
"The coin you bought was my favorite all-time toned dollar. I absolutely LOVED that coin." Me too!

By he way, the consignor is the same person who sold the 1874 PCGS65 quarter
currently discussed very favorably on this forum.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Post a picture when you get it image
  • Options
    Congratulations Gemtone65!!! You certainly fared better than I in the Goldberg auction....and I was there!!! The toned Morgans brought major bucks.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I found a picture of it. Wonderful colors.

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    superb!
  • Options
    Gorgeous Morgan!!!! Almost looks prooflike from that picture too.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrat.'s Gemtone...really pretty. K
  • Options
    That's a stunning dollar - congrats!

Ken
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Placid, Bryan, Jeff, Michael, Graham, Nic and Ken for your kind remarks.
  • Options
    That's one killer coin!image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    How did the consignor find out you bought the coin?

TRUTH
  • Options
    Placid - I generally don't like toned coins but this one is really nice. Great purchase!
  • Options
    Truthteller: I had written the consignor after learning that I won the coin thanking him for showing me the coins before he consigned them, and for later sending me scans of all the pieces. That's when he responded with his e-mail.

By the way, I went back to my notes upon first viewing this piece, and I wrote; "spectacular obverse, dmpl." It is probably just shy of dmpl, but definitely PL. Ironically, the Goldberg description of this coin begins "Spectacular obverse..."

Dmpl or even PL monster toned dollars are very unusual looking and are also very scarce. So, this coin adds something to my collection that even the 2 top pieces from that consignment would not have.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gemtone: I would like that coin even more if that was going to be part of one of your ghiveaways!

Very pretty coin! How much did you buy it for?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Oreville: The coin will cost me $2300 plus postage. I know that sounds like alot, but I view it as sort of a bargain. It is much less than my maximum bid price, and it is "only' 4-5 times market bid for the grade. In contrast, the 2 top toned Morgan dollars in the Goldberg sale sold for 70 times bid!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file