Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Centering on '64 Giants

My set has stalled out. I decided when I started this set to only go after 50/50 cards in 8 or better. So far so good (I'm at 33%). My delima is the remaining cards I need either have never come up in 50/50, or if they did I have missed 'em.

So I'm looking for a little knowledge here (especially you gemmintman). Which #'s are the most rare in 50/50? In other words, which ones should I settle for 60/40 because perfectly centered specimens just do not exist.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

50/50 is great but as you know that is just one piece of the puzzle...otherwise it would of been graded a 9. The 50/50 cards you seek may have softer corners, print dots, less vibrant coloring, be slightly more out of register, etc., etc.

I would not totally rule out 55/45's that make up for the centering by grading higher in other areas...especially with the commons.

John
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Basoline.

Centering may only be one piece of the puzzle to some, but it's almost the whole puzzle to me. So long as the surface, edges and corners are 8-worthy (demonstrated by the 8-slab), the only final consideration is centering. I agree that some may sacrafice a little less on centering for nicer corners, etc. Not me.

As I stated, I'm buying 8's. Many of the 8's I have look perfect (or at least perfect enough for me). Under magnification I can't tell for the life of me why some corners and edges warrant an 8, and others a 9 (I'm sure I'm not alone on this one). So I'll stick to the 8's, the 50/50 8's if they are out there.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I know what you are saying...it is one piece of the puzzle according to the graders.

A card with 50/50 PSA 9 type centering can have PSA 7 (NM) qualities in other areas....

• << <i>Which #'s are the most rare in 50/50? >>

BobS - I can only tell you from my own experiences handling many raw cards from this set and following many auctions on Ebay for two and one half years. Having said that, the cards with the most challenging centerings are...

Boyer, Skowron, and perhaps Brinkman. The Pop report seems to confirm this if you look at the total number of 8's and 9's for each card. I realize the Brinkman has a lot of 9's, but I'm telling you what I think. The Pop report also "suggests" that Freehan is another difficult card, but maybe not in terms of centering because I never really saw any major centering problems with that one.

The Boyer for sure is the absolute worst of the bunch, and five years from now I believe very confidently that the Pop report will continue to bear this out.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks buddyimage