Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Proposed new PCGS service option

How would you respond to a service option whereby PCGS takes a digital photo of your coin after grading. Say $1 per coin and an email of the shot for your own use? Extra charges for close ups etc. You could add these to the registry if you wanted. Any thoughts? I hope they didn't try this already and I just didn't know about it. I am aware of the photo seal product at NGC, but this was for more security based concerns.

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lincolnSence
    I think they had that service about four years ago??Anybody know for sure?
  • Options
    Yes, yes, yes. This is exactly what is needed. They should get good photographers who could take computer images (that could also be printed out on glossy photo paper) while the coin is removed from its holder, incident to regrading, pedigreeing or whatever. This would make it much easier to obtain and link photos to the registry sets. If it were offered, I would send in all the coins from my sets in for this service (preferably while I was having other stuff done, as well) so I could post images of my collection.

It is so win-win that I don't know why they are not doing it. Extra income, more visibility of the registry sets, more web traffic because of all the pictures. It really is a no-brainer. (NGC obviously sees the value of a service like this: why can't PCGS?)
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had already suggested to carolj the possibility of pcgs offering a picture hosting service. Perhaps such pics of a service could be added to such sites at the request of the owner of the coin. To me this is could simply be a Platinum plus level of service offered by PCGS.

Pics would have to be more than $1 to make it worth PCGS's while.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    you people really do want fingerprints on your coins!

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I would love pics of my coins.
    NGC does this,but the cost is $25.00 - $35.00 each.
    Way too much for me,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    That would be a really great service.

And yes prooflike, I would be holding my breath the whole time!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I think that would be a terrific idea. NGC prices range from $15-$35 depending on what level of service you want. Here is a link to their service.Link. It just makes sense that this could be a tremendous money maker for them.
  • Options
    GREAT IDEA.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea would fly for collectors at a dollar a shot. I have my own camera and have been able to take some really good pics. Personally, it costs me more than a dollar's worth of effort to image a coin. I'd think the charge would have to be a little more to make it attractive to PCGS.

David
  • Options
    I'm in the process of take a pictures of my main set.
    If have this option, I will glad to use.

Edson

• Options
    That is a honey of an idea.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Idea,but there minimum charge for a coin is 16.00?,and that takes about 4 seconds to grade,do you all think there going to take pictures of coins in that span of time for less than that.
    If that service was offered I do believe they would be right in line of what NGC charges= to much.Al
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Nah...pcgs is in the coin garding business and it's already slow enough. you add another level and they will never get it done.
  • Options

I tried the NGC photo image service and it worked very well., I think it's $3.50 a coin.

I know they have a more expensive service but i've never checked it out.

The photo service e-mails you the pics after the submission is done. I think it is an outside service that NGC hired? What is the $25 service all about?

Now that the registry seems to be doing so well I think PCGS should consider offering a similar service again. I thought they used to?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    $1 a coin would never fly - they probably need $60/hr at least to make it go

I do not know anyone who can take very good photos of coins in 1 minute and be able to do it all day

Personally, multipe shots to get the best one - 10-15 minutes per coin?

would you be willing to pay $15/coin for the photo? (electronic I am assuming or do you want hard copy as well?)

some people probably would - maybe you or I could start this service for all slabs (even the devil tier as others call them)

• Options
    Good idea, will cost more.