Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof 1964 pointed 9 value.

This didn't get any response to my post on the prior thread, - - - - -

So what is a raw PF65 - 1964 pointed 9 worth?

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    No idea, I just pop them in to the rolls I liquidate on eBay. So, if anybody who's bought one of these rolls from me is reading this, you have some pointed 9 dimes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I just sold one on ebay for 25 cents! I have no idea what they are really worth either. I just let the market decide. I'd be interested in finding out if there is a premium for this piece.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Thought I would bring this back to the front page.

My small sampling of 30 pieces yielded 25 blunt 9 coins and 5 pointed 9 pieces.
    It would appear the pointed 9 pieces are not that difficult to find and are probably not worth any premium as a variety. Besides, I have only encountered one person who was searching for both types and it was for Uncs and not Proofs.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Coulport

If you are talking about the thread I'm thinking about, I believe Russ and whoever it was stated they were merely seeking proof sets with pointed 9s because they usually contain an AH Kennedy. They didn't give a hoot about the dime. image

I am curious if a pointed nine guarantees a AH Kennedy. Can anybody else (Russ already posted his experiences) offer an opinion on that. I that your experience too, or is it about as common as the Type 1 and Type 2 coin mix in the 1979 proof set(s)?

I wish this could have come up earlier when a dealer I know had about three boxes of '64 PS in is inventory. image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Gilbert,

You are correct. Neither of us cares squat about pointed nines.

We don't believe that it "guarantees" an AH - but thus far, with real (not phony) pointed nines - we're batting 1000.
    After having perused countless '64 sets now, I've come to the conclusion there are very few to be had from dealers, although there's certainly exceptions to every rule.

I got an AH from a set that did not have the pointed nine, but haven't seen a pointed nine without an AH. Could just be the luck of the draw, I'm sure they didn't plan it. If I run across one, I'll send it to you. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file