Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

64 Topps Giants #60 vs. #57

I thought the Boyer #57 was more rare in PSA 8. But the recent auction on ebay only ended at $102, where the Skowron went for $255. What's going on there?
Fred

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Skowron is a short print and the last # of the set. The Boyer is more of a perceived rarity since it is a low pop card...jay
  • Options
    As much as price guides are a waste of time in trying to keep up with a hot issue like this, some people do rely on them for providing some sort of guidance on what to pay. Before PSA, the Boyer was a $1 regional star sort of common, and the Skowron was a $20-$25 Short Print and the last card in the set. The SMR has Boyer listed at nothing, and Skowron at $50. Some people are able to justify in their mind paying a higher price for a $50 Skowron than they would on a $? Boyer. To some people it doesn't matter if it's Boyer, Skowron, or Mantle. It's just a card number they are looking for, and they will pay whatever it takes to get the card.
  • Options

<< <i>The Boyer is more of a perceived rarity since it is a low pop card...jay >>

That's not true Jay. The Boyer in high grade is tough to come by because it is by far the worst centered card in the entire Topps Giants set.

Ngfred- I have no idea why the Skowron PSA 8 commanded such a high price over the Boyer, but I have seen the Boyer PSA 8 sell in the $200 price range as well. Go figure.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    POP REPORT AS OF 9/17/02

PSA 8:
    Boyer-10
    Skowron-13

PSA 9:
    Boyer-3
    Skowron-3

Boyer does have the lowest POP in the set in PSA 8's and 9's.

Also:

GemMint- if Boyer is "by far the worst centered card in the set", how come there are zero graded examples of either Luis Aparicio #39 or John Romano #59 and only one Elston Howard #21 deemed a PSA 9?

John
  • Options
    Basilone - It's a good question. Maybe the best answer to your question is to remind you that the Boyer has the least number of PSA 8's in the entire set, and next to card #30, Bill Freehan, the Boyer is the least submitted card. There's a good reason for that since the card is hell in terms of centering. So I'm not saying that it's impossible for it to be graded a 9. I only said that it's tough to come by in high grade because it has the worst centering of the entire set. I have handled and seen sooo many raw Boyers that I'm extremely confident about what I'm saying.

Perhaps the best way to look at it is that the Boyer has the least number of combined 8's and 9's (13 total) graded than any other card.

BTW, I'm confident that Aparicio and Romano will garner some 9's eventually. I see nothing to suggest otherwise. Until a few weeks ago card #8, Roy McMillan, had no 9's and now there are four of them.
  • Options
    I think the price differences are an indication of availability, what I like to call: "EBAYabilty". In the past 6 months, there have been five PSA 8 Boyers sold on EBAY. Only two PSA 8 Skowrons were auctioned in the same period. At these prices, I expect to see more Skowrons show up on EBAY soon.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!