Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this forum intimidating to newbies?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I find this forum like going to a party whare you don't know anyone. We all have a common interest but personalities can get in the way. There are many people here that have chatted over a long period and shared many things, and alot of people like myself that are new. Like in any social order it is just finding whare you fit in. I look forward partisipating more in the future when the boards will be more fun and less like reading a book or just a source of information. For now I feel like the new kid in school. Joe
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find this forum like going to a party whare you don't know anyone. We all have a common interest but personalities can get in the way. There are many people here that have chatted over a long period and shared many things, and alot of people like myself that are new. Like in any social order it is just finding whare you fit in. I look forward partisipating more in the future when the boards will be more fun and less like reading a book or just a source of information. For now I feel like the new kid in school. Joe >>

I suspect most of us felt this way at first. The more you jump in the
    sooner we'll get to know one another. Go at your own speed as you
    feel more comfortable.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nalamolly5nalamolly5 Posts: 671 ✭✭
    I AM STILL REALLY NEW HERE, AND LEARNED A LOT JUST READING THE POSTS BEFORE JOINING. I HAVE ASKED A FEW QUESTIONS, GOTTEN THOUGHTFUL ANSWERS, AND HAVE BEEN GIVEN GREAT DEALS BY SOME MEMBERS WHO HAVE SEEN MY NAME ON SOME POSTS. SO FOR ANYONE ELSE NEW, THIS IS THE PLACE TO LEARN, BEFORE GETTING RIPPED OFF OUT THERE, A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE GOES A LONG WAY.
  • Options
    the delears here remind me of republicans and democrats. they hate each other but they hate the independents even more....

and you also have people like joe the jeweler, who thinks that the coin world would stop functioning if a dealer decides to call it quits. to people like that, i say, when enron went kaput, gas prices went down.

i only have 40 minutes to argue, so lets go
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Bengals, to coin a famous phrase "I disagree". Dealers on this Forum are not

vicious pit bulls, they are human beings just like we collectors on the Forum.

We all may have different opinions and views of the world, but that does not

mean that most of us dont like or respect each other. Often , issues we argue about

do not have a single absolute correct answer. We live in a complex world where most

everything is composed of shades of gray, depending on the particular facts of the case.

We all do the best we can and try to rise to the highest level of our incompetence.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I would say that the newbies are treated harshly. However, after four years of chat on eBay's coin chat room, I think I can hold my own.

People who don't feel comfortable in these chat rooms, probably have a hard time striking up a conversation with a complete stranger. It does not make them better or worse than anybody else, just different.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    bear, you are too nice!

consider changing your handle to teddy_bear :-)
  • Options
    Aw shucks.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    and my presidential review was free!

from MS Bear to MS Teddy_Bear
  • Options
    Hey Im a boy Teddy Bear. You will call me Mr Bear.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I, like so many others, started with a Whitman folder of Lincoln cents at probably age 10 or younger. After 20 or so years of numismatic inactivity, I hate to admit, but the state quarter program got me interested in coins again. Over the past couple years, I've started collecting a few gold coins here and there, then started liking Peace dollars, but was really drawn to Standing Liberty Quarters. So, that's what I've been going with for a while now. I recently bought my first Morgan (a niced toned one), but have never really been drawn to Frankies. I see a distinct possiblility of being harassed though, since there are so many Franklin collectors here. In fact, I've started wondering what I've been missing with this series.

I'm having fun already and hope to talk with you all often.

...David
    David
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    jxnboy:
    There is only one Franklin collector here, and its me!!imageimage
    LOL

Welcome to the forum!

Brian.
  • Options
    Watch out winged you might get Be Bopped.

I'm also glad to see some flamers posting. Good that their reading and knowing how people feel.

It's easier for people to flame a screen then someone in person. I'm quite sure everyone on this board is a stand up person. Tensions can run high. But at the end of the day, won't you sleep better if you know you were nice to someone.

Unless you drink, then you sleep no matter what..... image

BTW, thanks to everyone even the flamers. You have all helped me in some way with your posts.. Sorry for the late posts but hawaii is 3 hours behind the west coast.

• Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Unless you drink, then you sleep no matter what..... >>

<< <i>BTW, thanks to everyone even the flamers. You have all helped me in some way with your posts.. Sorry for the late posts but hawaii is 3 hours behind the west coast. >>

Yes, she's a heavy drinker of the margaritas.

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    more margaritas for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Heck,

I think that on three out of four of my posts, my fellow forum members just shake their heads. I'm a relative newbie and it is extremely intimidating. My user rating dropped so low I turned it off. The overall experience has been excellent with many forum members patiently answering questions and providing insight. Thanks!
    Wondo

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>since there are so many Franklin collectors here. In fact, I've started wondering what I've been missing with this series. >>

You're not missing anything.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    OkieOkie Posts: 39
    My 2 cents:

Everyone has been great to me so far.

I tell people up front I'm new. I don't pretend to be an expert at any of this - yet.

No one should be intimidated OUT OF asking a question. The only dumb questions are the ones you never ask. It's NEVER a mistake to seek out understanding.

Finally, no one is born knowing everything. They had to go through the same learning process, so don't feel you don't belong.

Think of it as an apprenticeship. The masters are obligated to teach the craft to the apprentices.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watch out winged you might get Be Bopped. I'm also glad to see some flamers posting. Good that their reading and knowing how people feel. It's easier for people to flame a screen then someone in person. I'm quite sure everyone on this board is a stand up person. Tensions can run high. But at the end of the day, won't you sleep better if you know you were nice to someone. Unless you drink, then you sleep no matter what..... image BTW, thanks to everyone even the flamers. You have all helped me in some way with your posts.. Sorry for the late posts but hawaii is 3 hours behind the west coast. >>

And what's so bad about getting Be Bopped, consider the "Bopper", I'll take that Boppin' any day.image
  • Options

I've only posted a few times, and while I don't feel as if I've been treated shabbily at all, I struggle with feeling looked down on for all my "lurking" time. I'm just beginning to get some real knowledge, have made plenty of dumb purchases in my early days, am just starting to know my way around a computer, have no camera to send pics, so lurking is learning to me - just wish it didn't have a negative connotation. Reading the board is sometimes like looking at a club you'd like to become part of the inner circle of, but you know you're not one of the "movers and shakers" yet , and it will be a long time if it ever happens. All in all, I'm learning, enjoying, and maybe someday I'll have all the skills and computer goodies to send posts that make veteran members sit up and take notice. I'm just trying right now.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I notice you right now Daddy-o, you got styles!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this forum intimidating to newbies?

If you think it's intimidating to newbies, consider how it must feel to be a veteran that everyone knows, worried about who you are going to next offend. (I'm sorry, did I offend anyone?)
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this forum intimidating to newbies?

If you think it's intimidating to newbies, consider how it must feel to be a veteran that everyone knows, worried about who you are going to next offend. (I'm sorry, did I offend anyone?) >>

Andy, if you have been worried about it , it hasn't shown. image
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>... if you make your statement in a polite manner
    and even disagree in a like manner, then you will be treated
    with an abundance of kindness and friendship. ... Bear >>

Unless, of course, the person you are disagreeing with is Dorkkarl. image

On the subject at hand, yes it is intimidating for a newbie, but in a good way. I was overwhelmed at first with the myriad of knowledge and expertise many board members possess. I found it intimidating to post questions/ideas for fear of presenting myself like a dumb@&%$. I did anyway, but that's besides the point. For those that have the persistence to hang around, read, learn, and eventually post, this forum community generates more insight/knowledge/truth than any other source I can think of. Besides, where else on the net can you go back in time to bebopalula with The Fonz in the land of Coinalot?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, if you have been worried about it , it hasn't shown.

Thanks! Now, excuse me while I run and hide...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum is a good thing, but it creates different issues for members. I still can't figure out how all the features of this forum work and I don't have a scanner, but I have collected coins for over 30 years so I have learned afew things over the years. The forum is intended to encourage collectors to exchange thoughts and experiences... you can learn by participating.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow....this thread did pretty well the second time around! One of the fun things I noticed when it came back around was how many of the posters on it last year had become oldtimers since it was posted. It has been a great experience for me meeting everyone and chatting, arguing, learning, and making good friends. Maybe next year, I'll ttt this thread and smile at all the new folks who have become oldtimers. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    ahah Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Some what intimidating, yes, so I continue to lurk and learn, I certainly do not have the
    knowledge, regarding coins, as the major players in this forum have so I am trying
    to collect the good information and stay away from the flames, while reading the
    posts. Good thread.
    Al
  • Options
    David's right, as a newbie I was nervous about jumping into the forum with possibly dumb
    questions. The ocassional rebuke smarted but the advice and encouragement has been more
    help than I could have hoped for. Any experience I have will be offered to anyone in need,
    and I now know I can count on many collectors out there to share their experience with me.
    So back off, Spooly!
  • Options
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    This forum is very intimidating at times. But, occassionally, I just get sick of all of the butt kissing same old crap and have to place a few posts that reflect my true feelings. Almost always, that's a big mistake. Take a look at the recent PNG poll thread that I started and another thread called "is NumisEd good for the hobby" started by someone else. Ruthless! No mercy! Geez, state your opinion and you get attacked by the same old group of mafioso-type forum members. But, I do learn a lot here and I am not going anywhere.....unless someone associated with "the top 3" has a few strings pulled with PCGS and get's me kicked off of the forum....like Greg.
  • Options

<< <i>David's right, as a newbie I was nervous about jumping into the forum with possibly dumb
    questions. The ocassional rebuke smarted but the advice and encouragement has been more
    help than I could have hoped for. Any experience I have will be offered to anyone in need,
    and I now know I can count on many collectors out there to share their experience with me. >>

Well great! This might work out perfectly. If we get a bunch of newbies you can
    help answer all their questions about "a real good 1937-F buffalo" and their two
    headed quarters that they know are real because they got it in change at the bank.

Good luck.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    As long as we're making observations, here's another one: Most of the
    flamers and bashers don't have a profile available or do not allow people
    to rate them. Hmmmmm.

This should be a great place to hide this info since they don't even appear
    to be reading it.

Remember when rating that 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file