Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wheat CENT Doubling 1958-D Pictures

Hi everyone,

Finally got a couple of photo's to show of this Wheatie I found.

This is the coin that turned me into an "Error/die variety" collector". Its a big deal to me because of this.....anyhow......

Pic taken with my digital. Lincoln Nose Lips and chin are doubled. Date is obvious in other pic.

Lemme hear what you think about this coin!

Apache
Jeff Ylitalo served as CONECA editor (error variety journal) 2007-2016 and written hundreds of articles on error and variety coins. Jeff is a long time error and variety coin collector and researcher.

Jeff is a 33 Year Active Duty US Combat Vet (Retired).

FREEDOM and its action on contact is absolute PROOF of its Uncompromising Force.

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Awesome baby! Lucy would love to have this coin for her 50s collection.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • You're kidding of course.
    That's strike doubling. It's real common.

Ray
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Cool, kind of common, and a great picture. It'd still be a keeper in my book.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Too bad it's not a true doubled die.image It'd be worth millions!image J/K It's a nice coin.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about the coin, but that is some excellent photography work.

Russ, NCNE
  • nice coin and i agree with Russ about the photo
  • Very nice!!

Where did you find it? An "estate Auction"

Great pictures too.
    Rich
  • What did you use to take the photos?
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Exceptional photography! Looks like a strike doubling textbook.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    WOW!! That is very dramatic mech dbl. Cool. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    That's neat! Great pic! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • I agree with the others. That is some dramatic machine doubling to be sure and excellent photography, especially the first photo. You can very clearly see that the doubling is flat and not rounded, a telltale sign of machine doubling. Too bad there's no premium, but I'd sure keep it anyway. image
  • OK, now I'm a bit confused. What is the difference between a double die and a double strike?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • laser - A double die coin happens when the doubling is the die itself prior to mintage of the coin. A single stamping of the coin would produce the doubled image.

A double strike (machine doubling) happens when the coin moves slightly after it is struck the first time, so when it is struck the second time the impact of the field on the initial strike flattens the metal that doesn't flow into the die to form the second image.
    Small cents - ain't they beautiful!
  • Thanks for the photo comments. I have a "fuji-film" digital camera. It is a skill everyone can develop(coin pic taking), not impossible.

PM me if you need techniques for photo taking. Chances are good if your on this forum, and you asked about it, you have the equipment to do it. COPPER is actually very, very, very easy to take photo's/snap shots of and you will be amazed with the right lighting which is free.....hint..hint.... SUNLIGHT. Proof coins are TOUGH to take error pics of because of the mirror surfaces.

OK, thanks for your comments. Please Lemme know if you find one(1958-D Doubled), THEN there will be a POP of #2 known!

Mechanical Doubling, I agree, interestingly, I have studied the different kinds of Doubled Die. The spread works out from the center and finally toward the edges of the coin. Doubled die and Strike/mechanical doubling can both be seen on many coins togehter. Overall, I think its pretty darn cool. I've never looked at another 58-D wheatie the same since I found it.

Strange how the 5 is even where the doubled is, not shelf or flat like. The 1 and 9 are shelved for sure. Anyhow, I've seen lots of different doubling over the years and this one takes the "cake".

I'll post another close up of the Lincoln profile if you guys/gals want to see it.

Also, for Laser...the master hub is at fault when made for some doubled die. Or when the working DIE is made, it could sometimes be "re-squeezed" while the metal was still soft. Therefore when the DIE is used to create a coin, the struck coin will show the error. There are several types of Doubled Die, depending when in the process the error occured to either the Master or working die.

Apache

23 year Combat vet
    Still Serving
    Jeff Ylitalo served as CONECA editor (error variety journal) 2007-2016 and written hundreds of articles on error and variety coins. Jeff is a long time error and variety coin collector and researcher.

Jeff is a 33 Year Active Duty US Combat Vet (Retired).

FREEDOM and its action on contact is absolute PROOF of its Uncompromising Force.
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    A double strike (machine doubling) happens when the coin moves slightly after it is struck the first time, so when it is struck the second time the impact of the field on the initial strike flattens the metal that doesn't flow into the die to form the second image.

A double struck coin is one that has been struck by the dies twice rather than once. These are error coins. However, proof coins and some rare instances of coins intended for circulation have intentionally been struck twice.

A strike doubled (machine doubling) coin is one where the die shifted after the coin was struck and produced a flat shelf-life image. Unless the doubling is dramatic there is no added value. These coins were not struck twice by the die.

• thanks guys, I have often wondered why a coin with a double date such as a 55 lincoln didn't have the entire image doubled.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • For anyone who is interested, doubled dies are a fascinating subject. There are many classes of doubled dies. For example, the 1955 DDO cent is the most famous Class I rotated hub doubled die. The 1983 DDR cent is a Class IV offset hub doubled die. The latest Cherrypickers' Guide has an excellent section on doubled dies and how they occur. Worth the price of the book for that section alone. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file