Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Out of all the diffrent types of coins which ones are

the most underappreciated, and in what grades,

is there any one series that's a steal at current prices in grades G-VF

Comments

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Except for a handfull of dates and mint marks, you can get a near complete set of Mercury dimes in G-VF for almost nothing.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I've been a Morgan basher for a long time, probably because I fell into the trap during the Hunt brother's craze and am still recovering from the financial pain. Compared to Walkers and Mercs however, MS65 common date Morgans are a bargain today. Just make sure they're really MS65's. PCGS definitely rules in this series, IMO. I've seen NGC MS65PL's that wouldn't even make MS64 no PL at PCGS.

Circulated grades are a different story... popular key dates have been fairly flat (you won't lose any money but you won't make any either) for a long time.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Bowers' recent Coin World article on this one. - Washington quarters in MS-64/5.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I had some good luck with circulated Washington quarters... bought a 1932-D in G4 and a 1932-S in VG8 raw at my local coin show for $50, for both. Sent them in for grading, and they came back the same grade, sold on eBay for $35 and $60 (forget which was which ATM.) My profits almost covered the communist security taxes, but not quite.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    No one seems to care much about two cent pieces in AU.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I would disagree about MS65 Morgans. There are way too many for the market to bear. There are probably 100,000 common dates ones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file