Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is it about gold that makes it so hard to resist?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
I was watching the gold auction on Teletrade yesterday, looking at the $1, $2.5 and $5 coins and fighting this huge urge to buy something. I don't know a thing about these coins, and don't even really like the designs, but it was extremely hard not to bid. It's like some kind of primal impulse.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Gold pretty, me like gold!
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Skip those little ones go for the $10 and $20 image
  • I am actually eyeing a very nice quarter eagle right now, perhaps I might get it! You are right though, I prefer the big heavy coins!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Placid,

I was browsing through from the beginning and didn't make it to the big ones. Besides, I'm poor. But, man, the Saints are just so, so beautiful. Maybe skip a few extras like rent and food.image

Russ, NCNE
  • They are gorgeous, look great in a white holder, and really look nice when placed in your Morgan display case.

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I love gold coins. If for no other reason, proper storage doesn't really matter, the stuff isn't very susceptible to "environmental damage." You could store it on the bottom of the ocean for 100 years image Might get a few red “copper spots” or an orange tone, but in general it’s indestructible (provided you don’t beat it with a hammer.) Plus, no one is tempted to apply liver of sulphur and sell their “guaranteed not AT” monster coins on eBay for 10X fair value image

BTW, you should try a few drops of the stuff on the paper of a Whitman album, rainbow bullseye every time image No need to put it directly on the coin and get that splotchy looking stuff image If only I didn't care about ripping people off, I could be very wealthy.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Let's see, the designs are drop dead gorgeous, it has value as bullion, is it very suseptible to abrasions so wear is usually apparent if it exists, it has mass, it has been hoarded for centuries, it isn't prone to surface deterioration, it is very expensive (especially proof), and even non-collectors are aware it is worth collection. I'm just afraid to get started, because it would limit me to very little collecting. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Well, this Saturday, I'll be getting my coin show cherry popped, so I hope any dealers that have some gold don't mind a little drool.image I just need to stay strong so I don't whip out the money budgeted for my want list.

Russ, NCNE
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, I collected and still have a few saints. With me the gold appeal is I'm buying gold for ME. Rather than buying it for, well you know.image

stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • There is nothing to not like about gold. It does not even have to be MS65 or PR69 to please me. Like someone else said "my gold is for me". One of the first coins I bought was a AU58 1908 NM St. Gaudens from Hannes Tulving and I still have it. The only downside to owning gold is that I keep it in a safe deposit box and seldom get to look at it.

Gary
    Gary
  • the only gold i own is a 2001 1/10th once gold peice don't know why i bought it, just wanted to own some goldimage
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    The story is told of the power of gold
    And its lure on the unsuspecting
    It glitters and shines, it badgers and blinds
    And constantly needs protecting

Balance the cost of the soul you lost
    With the dreams you lightly sold
    Are you under the power of gold?

(Dan Fogelberg)

-Bob
  • Russ,
    It's about time you graduate to the good stuff! JKimage
    Hey, if you ever want to trade some of those DCAM AHs for some gold I may be interestedimage
    There's nothing like owning gold coins. Its by far my real passion, although finding nice pieces is getting really hard unless you get into five figures. Anyway, like some others have mentioned, I suggest the "heavy" coins $20 and $10. The smaller stuff is nice but I still prefer the 10s and 20s. Plus, the $20 common dates don't go for much more than $75 to $150 over spot for nice MS or sliders. In my opinion, double eagles are the best valued coins out there right now. Like other said, you get almost an ounce of gold and a beautiful old coin with lots of history. It can get costly, but over time you can amass a nice collection. I suggest type gold sets. I'm working on a couple different gold sets now and its exciting. Anyway, I won't babble any more. Go get some gold, you'll love it!

-Hunter

-ps: don't buy modern bullion eagles, they're just not worth it. I know they're an ounce of gold and there's different dates, but with pre-1933 gold coins the sky is the limit as far as collecting. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong!image
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!
  • Well, I got sniped on the Lib Quarter eagle I was lookin at, so it's back to my saint set!
  • Meh... those are good... but not as good as some of the gold coins you can find on the Darkside! But to be fair they're not as terrible as some of the gold coins you can also find on the Darkside.
  • I think everybody ought to have a gold coin. If everybody had a gold coin, it would be that much harder for the government to try to confiscate them again.

Seriously, you ought to be able to find a MS-62 $20 Lib. for around $400, and they are absolutely gorgeous. See if you can find one without a lot of distracting chatter in the fields.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file