Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need 3 words for this toning.

A.T. is not a word or 2 words. looking for a couple word for a title. Thanks.
image It's Her's

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 words- "just like airplanenut's"
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Oven Baked, Thermal Toned, Man-Made Monster
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    I'm going to say "fugly". Even though that toning isn't fugly, it's just a fun word to use. Fugly fugly fugly!
  • Options
    can you get these colors baking them???
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    danarchy, If you're looking for something to use in place of artificial color -

man made color
    enhanced color pattern
    accelerated toning pattern
    not mother nature
    artificial color enhancement
    unnatural color acceleration
  • Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Bullseye envelope(or album) toned.
  • Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    BTW, the color is natural.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    "I like it"
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Colors look artificial as a $3 bill to me.

I oven baked a fugly proof set (I think this is all the US Mint makes now!) and the colors I got were purple, blue, and gold on everything but the penny (the heat basically burned the thin layer of copper off).
  • Options
    it's not moster,rainbow...what is it? BTW this and a few other coins sat in a gun safe for 9 years. Your looking at the end result.

edit: they did get flipped as both sides show some toning. A couple of the others are not so viviid...Good word vivid!

Edit 2. I have openned many pre 65 proof sets with blue, and purple coins. PCGS will slab them. But the cents get RB instead of RP!
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    Smooth metallic toning...????
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't buy the gun safe story unless your house caught fire at some point in the past 9 years. The resemblance to oven-toning is just too strong. Just my opinion...
  • Options
    Carnival Glass Radiance

(I get 5% of the gross if you use my phrase in your auction!) image
  • Options
    Excuse me Dan, but the obverse of that coin at 3 O'clock looks like "deep fried chicken" LOL....sorry.....
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Marty - I like Deep Fried Chicken. Do you have any? Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan:

I think someone should explain that these Bullion Coins Do Tone like your coin . Looks Real to me as the Wife has some that have done the same thing. She is for sure not a Doctor.image

Ken
  • Options
    No problem Bear....legs or breasts....I'm a breast man myself.....sizzzzle.....image
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Marty - Bears cant be choosey, any part of the fried chicken will suffice. But some mashed spuds and
    gravey would be groovy. Bear image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely real... my 87 like that is in a PCGS slab (MS63, Pop 1/0 lower; don't ask why it's not a 67...)
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    No problem Bear....can't have fried chicken without spuds, gravy, a little corn on the cob....and a nice cool brew or soft drink POP!....here ya go image Just save some for the rest of the folks ok? We know how Bears can be about picnic baskets image
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    That is original toning. I have one in one of those cardboard holders that say U.S. Silver Eagle and has the clear snap case. Take the cardboard out of the plastic case, slap a Silver Eagle in and leave in the attic for a few months. Mine has a nicer blue peripheral tone leading to the purple that is similar in the picture, with a smoother golden tone covering the inner portions of the obverse. I flipped it over last week because the reverse needs some more tone.

You can call it what you will, I call it enhanced(time-wise) and its original, agree or not.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight andy007.....quick question, would you attribute that toning to the temperature fluctuations in your attic? or is it something else.....
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    Good point that I left out Marty. The temperature fluctuations definitely are what speeds up the toning, I'm sure the same thing could be replicated with a Dansco album with the slides taken out. I live in Mobile, AL. one of the hottest places on the world no doubt( and I don't care what people from AZ or TX say, come here, that dry heat is easy to take compared to this) the summers are usually at least 85% humidity, which may be another contributor to the toning being sped up, and my attic can reach about 115 sticky degrees.

Edited: Oh yeah, clads are just too tough to tone, I haven't found a way to speed up the toning on those yet. I have a Bicentennial Kennedy(clad, not the S-mint) in a manilla envelope in the attic also that has developed a wavy purple type toning, and that is all I have been able to create so far with no chemicals or coin doctor stuff, I don't do that.
  • Options
    WOW! That's really interesting....thanks for the insight andy007....something I haven't heard of until now...thanks
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    Just a thought, so maybe slabbing coins really can "suspend" toning effects at that moment in time....of course if they are in fact, airtight....interesting....
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    Three words? Easy Bake Oven. image
  • Options
    They don't have to be in an airtight holder(not sure that any are, some say NGC's new slabs are) to halt the toning progression. All that it takes is for the coin to be removed from that environment that has stimulated the toning for it to stop, albeit that it is not placed in another tone-conducive environment.
  • Options
    So Andy, what your saying is that if a coin is in an accelerated "toning" environment, such as your intensely heated and humid attic, that if a coin is then placed in a controlled, say room temperature, environment the toning process should cease and stabilize? thanks for any response....
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Looks real to me and nice. Nice Coin!image

TBT
  • Options
    Three words ... enhanced oxidation alternative ...
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    Dan, are you looking for bulls eye toning????
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Butt Ugly Coin
    or
    Just Say No

I never liked toned coins anyhow.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file