Home U.S. Coin Forum

What kind of toning is this?

Toned Washington

I’m not bidding on this one, but I was curious about the heavy toning. Is this what they call “end of roll toning” or “bag toning?” Does anyone know if it’s been determined chemically what causes the different colors? Why are some coins toned blue, while others are brown? Possibly a coin’s surface will react to form different chemical compounds (oxides, sulfides) in different ratios, causing the various colors to appear?

Dan

Comments

• Dan,

Looks like envelope toning. Some coins from the 40's and 50's also take on beautiful toning from the mint sets in which they're housed. This one doesn't have pretty color.

As far as blues from browns, etc, it's a matter of the thickness of silver sulfide layer on the coin's surface. Different thicknesses scatter different wave lengths of light allowing others to reach the eye thereby producing different colors.

GSAGUY
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of toning? Hmmm....I'd probably label it "ugly". lol

jom
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC came out with a Black holder when they first opened for business. They also made a few of these all white holders (look at the insert- nothing but print against white- no logo or NGC markings-). Also the hotstamp gold (no hologram) on the reverse is a giveaway.
    It's a somewhat rare holder and if you're into that kind of thing, might be worthy of a bid just to get it.

Regarding the toning? Typical (unattractive) 40's silver Washington toning.

This is a case of buying the holder and not the coin.

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file