Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Problem Bust Halves?

While reviewing Heritage's upcoming Bullet auction I was intrigued by a lot of ANACS net graded halves.
1812 ANACS AU net XF40, O-104, R1
1818 ANACS AU net XF40, O-109, R1
1828 ANACS AU net XF45, O-114, R3
While these are obviously cleaned/scratched coins but I am thinking this might be a way to economicaly aquire 3 varieties I don't have. All 3 coins in this lot appear to have very nice eye appeal and I believe to be worth a bid for EF money. Your thoughts please.

3 coin lot
I am no longer looking for an 1815/2
myurl

Comments

• Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    JimD

I think I probably have unreasonable expectations when it comes to so-called "problem" coins. I guess I expect a bit more of a discount for a coin I can't slab at PCGS or NGC. This of course presupposes that since ANACS net graded them the other 2 would bag them. That is not to say that I buy my coins to be slabbed; only I want the option to exist.

I would however evaluate each coin on its own merits; those images don't help me to evaluate how harshly they are cleaned though.

As you can imagine, I have and probably will have a lot of "holes" in my collection. image

Sorry. I know that isn't much of an answer.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    They actually don't look to bad although I don't think I would call the 1818 AU details (looks more CH.XF) but it is hard to tell how much hairlines are visible from the pictures so that would be my only concern. If you can get them for around an average XF price you might be doing ok.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I like the 1812 myself. The other two I wouldn't want myself.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    given 2 equal coins, i'd gladly pay more for the uncleaned coin, especially for common varieties (r1-r4). common bust halves are just too plentiful to bother w/ cleaned ones. however for rare varieties or dates, couldn't care less if it's cleaned or not.

BTW a very crappy bust half date-set sold in the auction for $4800. i thought it was worth $2000 or less.

K S
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

I like ANACS, but I just prefer the XF-MS coins without problems. Many times a little shopping produces a better looking coin raw without the problems for similar dollars. Sometimes the superb coins in PCGS/NGC aren't that expensive. This is the way I wish they all looked.....My latest candidate.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    If you just want them for the Overton variety cheap low grade coins might be the way to go. Bust em out of the slab and throw them in a Whitman and nobody will pay any attention to them being cleaned.
    For Bust type you can get higher grade problem free coins without paying a whole lot more money.
    Unless it's an extreme rarity I wouldn't a lot for problem coins.
    I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file