Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need Help On A Proof Lincoln

While looking for a 1981S Ty 2 last night in all my boxes and closets I uncovered a absolutely superb 1942 RED Lincoln proof I did not know I had. I have searched for guides on it but can not find anything above a PR66 listed. I know this coin will do better. I did see a 1940 listed at fair market for $196 in PR66 and $4500 in PR67. This 1942 was fair marketed at $275 in PR66 but nothing above that. I suppose there have not been any known above ???
Do any of you Lincoln pros have any thing to add that may help. I feel like this 1942 is a sure canditate for PCGS.
Thanks,

birddog
JUST THE BEST FROM "the birddog"

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Bird Dog - Is it a cameo ? Slab it at PCGS

If it goes 67.....minimum $2,000
    If it goes 67 cameo...............JACKPOT

STEWART
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Nice find, wish I could help, I think this is Merz area.

Good luck,
    Ray
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    In this case, it seems straightforward enough - if you know it's worth sending in if it comes back PR66RD and you're sure yours is at least that good, send it in.

Heritage has a PR66RD up for auction right now (click here - current bid is $330) and their pop numbers shows 2 higher at PCGS and 0 higher at NGC.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Heritage has a PR66RD up for auction right now (click here - current bid is $330) and their pop numbers shows 2 higher at PCGS and 0 higher at NGC.

Boy, that is exactly what I wanted to know, LOW POP !! It is not cameo, just plain high finish across the images too.
    I looked at the one Heritage has up and this one looks a TON better. Theirs is spotted up close and is not even in the holder streight, WEIRD !! This one is just plain deep red and beautiful.
    I am going to scan it and put it on my web site to see. Be back later with the link.
    Thanks to all again.

birddog
  • Options
    Most of the better 1936-1942 proof Lincolns are going for much more than FMV. A couple multiples are not uncommon. There must be several new Lincoln proof buyers in the market. Color seems to be the key in these years. Post the image link when you have it.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Here is the coin.

1942 Lincoln Cent ~ Proof ???

• Options
    Good job Placid, and thanks.
    Do you like it ???
    Guessing a grade -- A poll please !!!

bd
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I am not good at lincolns. I can't tell if it's a proof or not.
    I see what looks like one fairly big mark in the head near the hair, a smaller one below and left of the eye.
    I would guess 66-67.

• Options
    Looks sweet. Nice even color. I like this even if you send it in and PCGS doesn't.
    I see something between the ear and eye, but can't tell more. If that's only an artifact in the picture, this could be much better than 66.

perfectstrike
  • Options
    Those places are just the light glare reflecting back from the scanner light that passes below the image. On images that are very glossy, like a proof, it shows more. If I rotate the coin and scan again you will not see those places but maybe others that are light reflections like a mirrow.
    I have the two images up to 700 pixels on the web page now. You can see better what I am saying. Hey, a 68 will work !! HO - HO (((image)))
    Link

bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file