Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it safe to send your coins to PCGS ?

With all the fingerprints, spots and discolorization going on with coin that are recently slabed
by PCGS, do you think it is safe to send in your prize coins for REGRADES or CROSSOVERS?
If these coins have been in holders for a few years and nothing has happened to them, would
you take the chance?

Walt image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    My last three submissions came back just fine, and the coins were very close to the grades I expected - a couple even came back higher then I thought they would.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering the same thing but from what I read on the board the problem is mostly with Modern Mint products, like maybe the new coins haven't had time to stabilize yet.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>problem is mostly with Modern Mint products, like maybe the new coins haven't had time to stabilize yet. >>

BINGO! My last three submissions were pulled from the sets and let sit for a couple weeks before going in, and were packaged using SAFLIPS. Prior to this, I was having my share of problems, but was submitting too soon after pulling from the packaging and was using crappy flips.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Russ, what did you ever do with all those "crappy" flips? I'll take 'em imageimage
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    BigD5,

They're fine for circulated stuff, so that's what I use them for now. It's just the proofs that have a problem.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I sent four of my Barber proofs in for regrade to get CAM and DCAM designations. They came back fine. But I did hold my breath just a little.image

My Barbers
  • Options
    All my submissions have been fine.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    One of three coins I submitted graded well below my expectation. I believe this was due to improper handling by the PGCS representative I handed it to at the ANA convention. I believe he took the three coins I submitted, wrapped them in the submission form, placed a tight rubberband around them, and then jammed them into a standard PCGS 20-coin slab box. (I would have said something at the time but I was writing down his name when this occurred and only saw it out of the corner of my eye.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file