Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Top Pop Nuts.........???????

When you submit modern (1999-2002) coins for submittle, how do you find the MS68-69 coins? Do you get them out of mint sets? Do you look through rolls? Do you buy mint bags? What gives you the best odds of finding a high grade coin?

Comments

• Options
    I havn't done it, but i would imagine proof sets. . . . they are more protected than rolls or mint bags. Silver sets would be a possiability, too.

B.

PS--it's good to hit 200! AHHHHHH... .. . . . .. . . . . . . .
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    That's WRONG!!! i though my Member was going to become a Senior Member!!! I guess i just havn't had enough yet. . . .

B.

EDIT:

Ha! it did it!! just had to carve one more in my belt, i guess!!
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    For those years mint sets are your best bet. However, the downside is if you fine a nice coin you need to ruin the mint set to get the coin. Many times this isn't worth it to people.

Think of finding an MS68 Ohio 25¢. This is a $45 coin right now. It costs you $15 for the mint set which is worth $5 after you cut out the coin, $10 for the grading, add in the risk of not getting the MS68 grade and all the postage and it usually ends up being cheaper to purchase the coin from a dealer for $45.

Rolls are good for mass searching since they cost nothing. However, the coins are frequently lesser quality.
  • Options
    Personally I have had no luck popping high end Jeffersons from rolls. I have had some luck with mint sets. Last year I popped a MS68FS 2001D - still pop 1 I believe.

Mint sets are hit and miss for Jeffersons, but still probably one of the cheapest way to find high end coins. Just my opinion.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two problems with finding modern gems in rolls. First is that
    most rolls are difficult to locate. Even the ultra-moderns from the last
    fewyears can be a little difficult. Second is that high percentages of the
    coins will be poorly struck. This applies to virtually all of some of the
    older dates. At least the mint set coins are generally good strikes so
    your search is narrowed down quite a bit.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    It's a secret that I will never reveal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. To me finding the nice mint state coins is more an act of discipline than grading skill. You have to just keep looking at huge quantities of coins and eventually you will run accross something that is special. I've found coins in rolls but have the most luck with mint sets. Then after picking out the really nice coins you send them in to be graded and only a small percentage will get the super high grades. It's a challenge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file