Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CNN says the mint will change designs!!!!!!!

The US mint is planning to change all designs except the SQ over the next year, according to what my wife saw on CNN!!!!!! YEAH!!!! She saw it Mon. morning at about 10:25EST
According to her, the size is the only thing that will remain the same. HAs anyone else seen/heard about it elsewhere?

What do we think?

B.

Edited for clarity--i typed too fast the first time. image
A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
A Tax is a fine for doing good.

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoo-hoo. I hope CNN is correct. I've never had much respect for them, but I hope they have it right this time.

My wish list:

allegorical images on coins
    higher releif
    denticles on all coins
    no designs by commitee such as in the state quarters
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I think there is a great possibility they will change every coin currently minted.....over the next hundred years or so. But that is just speculation, because past performance does not garentee future projections or some crap like that...lol.

I would like to see a change in the coins of the US.

Ray and sleeping cat.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what happened to that bill in Congress with the delegation from Virginia trying to keep anyone changing the Jefferson design. I just couldn't believe that Congress would allow such a partision bill to pass thru. What's the latest???

jom
  • Options
    From what i heard, those marketing weasels in Verginny won, and got the re-design defeated. I thought it was wrong, but, hey, I'm nothun' but i guy who collects. I would LOVE for the mint to change the designs-- but the way they do it, it'll take forever and be god-awful ugly. I also read in COINage that they're thinking about making the 50 cent peice a circulating commem for the presidents. (Sorry, Russ. We'll hold a wake) So, we'll have to wait and see. I'm off the the usmint website to see what i can find.

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    Coin World has over the next 4 years for the coins to be redesigned.

The house passed the Virginians hijack the nickel bill but the Senate has not delt with it yet. So email your Senators to vote no.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WGN-TV midday news did the same story and said the nickel
    may be changed as early as next year.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Coinworld said this might be the last year of the current nickel design, but only the reverse might be changed.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I feel embarassed for all those unfortunate souls who live in Virginia, the weakest state in the union.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see the penny last until 2009, only because it is SO CLOSE to being the only coin to hit 100 years to circulation...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Story Link

Sounds like this is a long way from reality folks!!!
    J'har
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The fifty state-bird commem dollar idea stinks. The greedy mint, flush with the financial (as opposed to artistic) success of the SQ program is now seeing all kinds of seignorage possibilities, I bet. So they will make the dollar a "collector's coin" -- COLLECT ALL FIFTY! Who cares that it probably won't circulate, let's just assume it won't and make a lot of money churning 'em out to the collector community.

Birds are a boring subject for coinage. And let's not beat the fifty state thing to death.

And I've ranted about it before, but this Virginia bill sets a very dangerous precedent. No state "owns" any coin. The Mint should be out front and forceful on this subject. Has there even been an official statement from the Mint about the bill to make Monticello "permanent?" Is the Mint just going to cede its charter? Oh, I forgot, they're too busy tinkering with perfectly good state quarter design submissions.

And -- OT -- I'm not sure this was mentioned by anyone, but that Missouri SQ legend "Corps of Discovery" has some really awful overtones. Too much like "corpse." How could anyone think this is appealing verbiage, one year after 9/11?imageimageimage
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    I just heard on my local news channel when the changes will be made.
    Nickel in 2003
    Dime in 2004
    Halve in 2005
    Penny in 2006
  • Options
    I also heard on the news that they would make them theme coins. The only on they mentioned was a nobel prize coin. Maybe we're getting away from the dead presidents after all. In any event, it's always good for the hobby...........look how many new collectors the SQ brought in.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also read in COINage that they're thinking about making the 50 cent peice a circulating commem for the presidents. (Sorry, Russ. We'll hold a wake) >>

Actually, that wouldn't bother me much. The series as it is fits just about right in two Eagle albums. If it went much further, I'd have to buy more albums. So, the change would save me money.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    As I expected the CNN story is just the old news that they are talking about changes. They have been talking about changes for years, although they are getting into a more specifcs now. This is basicly a space filling non-story.

I did like this part.

"The Mint must endeavor at the beginning of the 21st century to provide Americans and the world circulating coinage with designs and themes that appropriately reflect the pride of today's America."

We've been telling them that for thirty years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file