Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you keep your slabs in?

Currently mine reside in the PCGS blue plastic box. Is this okay to keep them in? Or is there something in the plastic that I have to worry about ie- gas from the plastic leeching into the slabs?

I was thinking about purchasing the cherry wood with velvet foam slab holders presentation boxes that AirTite sells. Much nicer presentation. Should I be worried long term use with this product. I have blast white modern proofs and I would like to keep them that way. I really don't want to use the Intercept Shield products. They're just not that nice. Any thing you have all found?

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

-----------------------------------------

MW Fattorosi Collection

Eisenhower Proofs
SBA Proofs
Sac Proofs

Comments

• Options
    PCGS boxes inside a safe.
  • Options
    I keep mine in ICG intercept shield boxes for the most part, not because of the plastic, but because ICG boxes will hold all kinds of slabs, PCGS, ICG and NGC. I have found that NGC slabs don't fit well in PCGS boxes.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    PCGS and NGC boxes and anacs slabs in a wood jewelry box.
    I have had many coins in these for 10 years+ without any change in the coins.
    Ot: how was the coin show jtryka?
  • Options
    Blue PCGS boxes. But, I'm thinking of putting them in Intercept Shield boxes. Supposedly they offer the best long-term protection from environmental damage. I'm still looking for information.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • Options
    What do you all think about this type of storage, except made to hold PCGS slabs.

AirTite Cherry Wood Box

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    Placid, the coin show was good, there were a number of familiar faces there, but unfortunately not a lot of good coins for me. I did buy couple nice Saints, but hard to find descent coins. There were tons of common dates from MS-61 to MS-65, but not very impressive (unless you were a modern collector and just wanted one for type). I did see one dealer with a lot of nice gold, but none that I was looking for, or he was too high (that was the case with his Type 1 Libs), though I did buy a nice 1910 in 62 from him. I even brought a few Saints to potentially trade, but didn't see anything I wanted to trade for! I did see a very nice HR Flat Rim Saint, but I didn't bring that much cash with me! The libs were pathetic, and it always amazes me the amount of raw gold being hawked as something super. Most was common date, many were cleaned, and almost all were overpriced. I did joke around with a dealer on some bust halves, but I didn't buy any. There were a lot more odd dealers at this show, 3 dealing exclusively in ancients, 2 exclusively in tokens, and a couple that had a lot of currency, scripophily and exonumia. A lot more young people there too. Overall, it was a nice way to spend an afternoon.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Glad you had a good day jtryka image

FrattLaw that's pretty expensive for a storage box but it's very nice.
    I don't know how many slabs it fits but if you are like me you can have 60-100 before you know it.

• Options
    I would trust the PCGS plastic boxes before wood!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    I keep mine in a Intercept Shield box. Most are PCGS and I would like to pass them on to the grandkids(once they arrive).
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Out of the closet Morgan loverimage
  • Options
    Blue PCGS boxes.
  • Options
    PCGS boxes and NGC boxes, which are much nicer than the PCGS IMO.
  • Options
    Blue PCGS boxes or 3 ring binders.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    Blue PCGS boxes then in safe or safe deposit box.

Walt
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    Light green PCGS box and then a safe.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Intercept Shield Boxes, and a heavy safe with a small box of dessicant. It has spots that change color when it is time to recharge it (put it in the oven for a few hours). I will say that the Intercept boxes make it less handy to look at your coins.
    But time will tell if it is worth it. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    I happen to like the Eagle boxes for my slabs. I think most boxes are an issue of preference. I believe the more important issue is the storage environment as mdwoods point out by reference to dessicant bags.Eagle boxes
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    What do you all think about this type of storage, except made to hold PCGS slabs.
    AirTite Cherry Wood Box

You are more likely to run into trouble with toning if you put them in a wood velvet lined box because of the materials used to make the box. A PCGS/NGC plastic box would work much better.
  • Options
    Inside of Cedar boxes I made myself, placed inside a large lock box.In a small Bank here in Arkansas.Snakeimage
    James Best
  • Options
    Cardboard box over in the corner.

Yes, I'm serious.
  • Options
    A plastic rubbermaid box in the bottom of my closet.

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    the garbage, AFTER i crack the coin out, of course.

K S
  • Options
    Im paying $80 for a safe deposit that holds 7 PCGS boxes, is this about right? The other half is in my 1000lb safe, do I need to look elsewhere for a bigger deposit box?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    I keep the majority of the slabs in PCGS blue boxes doubled locked in a vault.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    I have only two slabbed coins, but keep my coins in Whitman blue plastic boxes.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file