Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone collect sample slabs

What's a sample???? is it worth anything or should i give it to someone and try to get them interested in coins????????????????

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    It's exactly that... a sample, most likely handed out for free. I think they bring $5 or so...
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What state is it?
  • Options
    It's a Delaware P

If it's a sample does it really matter whats inside of it?
  • Options
    I thought it might be a Mule image

I guess it might if you sell it, someone might want a certain state quarter.
  • Options
    Link

NGC SAMPLE SLAB 1999-P DE State Quarter
    Item # 1374976584

US $17.75 First bid US $9.99
    Quantity 1 # of bids 4 bid history
    Auction has ended
  • Options
    WOW Placid....your almost as fast as Russ image
    eBay Auctions
    Computer Services
    What did the doe say when she came out of the woods?.....Last time I do THAT for a buck! image
  • Options
    thanks for the link, that's interesting
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Sample Slab collector but few other people collect them. I mostly do the Classic coins rather than all the different ST Quarters. Notice that the slab Placid linked is a different variety than the one mbbikker posted. I've never seen the mbbikker type. Conder101 may be interested in it.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Delaware quarters in the plastic 2x2 as issued by the US Mint at the 1999 FUN show.

I did something that no one else did (except one other collector). I had Phillip Diehl, the Director of the US Mint, autograph the piece of paper that was folded over inside the 2x2. I managed to have him do it three different times on three different 2x2's.

Furthermore, I had him sign three different Statehood quarter bookmarks.

Perhaps I should link to a photo of these?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I have a few 2000 pennies in ICG sample intercept shield slabs, and I think I have an old V nickel in a PCGS sample somewhere, can't remember where I put that one.
  • Options
    Like Dog I also collect the sample slabs. He mentions that the two samples pictured as different varieties but I consider both of them to be examples of NGC 7S1. The only difference is that on Mbbiker's sample thay didn't fully identify the coin type (No word Deleware) However if the hologram on the back is the full width of the slab then it would be new. How about it Mbbiker? Is the hologram full or half width?

Currently I list 39 varieties of sample slabs from 12 different companies.
  • Options
    I own just two, both are dimes, one is a 1956-D MS65 (PCGS) the other a 1964-D MS65 (PCGS) I've had these for so long I don't even remember when I got them but I would guess it was at a Long Beach show in the late 80's.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    Conder,
    It's a half width, here's a pic. just so you can make sureimage
  • Options
    Yep that's half width, NGC 7S1. A very common sample slab.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file