Options

What is a Miller Plate Coin?

PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
I saw one on eBay here.

Link

Comments

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I'm not that familier with him, but it must be a plate coin from Wayne Miller's book.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Wayne Miller had a superb Morgan Dollar collection a number of years ago.
    He published a book showing pictures of each coin in his collection before they
    were auctioned off by the "Old Superiors" of Mark and Larry Goldberg some 15 years ago. Plate refers to
    a coin that was pictured in the book. While a number of the more expensive coins were the finest known
    a number of the coins would not maintain there high grade in todays grading standards.

Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Thanks image
  • Options
    It is a coin pictured in the Wayne Miller text book on Morgan and Peace dollars.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Ah, more detailed answers then the last time this question was asked. Same coin, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ - We aim to please!
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I assume it is a coin from the Wayne Miller book "An analysis of Morgan and Peace Dollars," pubished in 1976. He includes therein a single example of the each date and mintmark, and the pictures shown of each were the best he could locate and I believe resided in his personal collection. He was a prominent dealer in Silver dollars at the time, and may be still active.

I have a signed copy of his book, in which the picture quality is poor. Probably as result, I could not confirm independently that the coin shown there is, in fact, the one pedigreed by ANACS and now offered for sale on E-bay.
  • Options
    Placid,

A few months back I actually had in my possession EVERY toned dollar that was used as a plate coin in Miller's book! Additionally, I had all the other toned dollars of his collection that were photographed but didn't make the final cut for inclusion in the book.

I've about worn out my copy of his book so it was neat to have the coins in-hand, but to be honest with you, on average they weren't that great. There were only two that I'd have purchased for my collection but the coins were priced to me as a lot. I had to pass because the price was just too high.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    I attended the Miller auction and can tell you that their was a bidding frenzy, especially for the more
    common coins. I myself purchased the 85cc, 80s, and 82s and overpaid thru the nose, to say I owned
    a Miller dollar.My coins , as I remember them were overgraded by at least a full point and when I sold them
    I took a loss of about 33%. All in all it was an expensive lesson, but a memorable and in a strange way
    enjoyable time. Bear
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the whole group in my had too. My local dealer was the one selling them. I was hoping they would not sell as a group so I could just have one.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Seems like those coins get around more than I do image
    My wife informed me today that I can't buy any more coins for two months image
    Too bad my wife told me after I already bid on coins in the Heritage Long Beach Auction oops.
  • Options
    Placid - IM TELLING!!!!!
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear,

I seem to remember that 85-CC as being a pretty decent looking coin. Can you provide some details as to grade etc.? I don't have Miller's book with me but I also seem to remember him saying he thought it was one of the finest known.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    The Miller 1885-CC is currently in a PCGS MS66DMPL holder, it is an incredibly deep B&W cameo and was recently sold by Legend for just under $6000.00 I believe.

The Miller 1881-S was offered through Superior Galleries about 2-3 years after the original Miller sale and was harshly cleaned by someone in the interim.

Dragon
  • Options
    GSAGUY - THAT AUCTION WAS PERHAPS OVER 20 YEARS AGO AND MY NOTES HAVE ALL BEEN THROWN OUT ALONG
    WITH THE CATALOGUE. BEAR
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    When I saw this thread I thought there would be a link to a really nice Connecticut half penny.
  • Options
    Condor101, I thought it might refer to a Spanish Milled Dollar. The Spanish Milled Dollars minted in Spain and Iberia contained 20% less silver than those minted in the Americas. They were referred to as "NEW PLATE" dollars by the colonist.
    I am no longer looking for an 1815/2
    myurl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file