Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will PCGS bodybag a Coin Slabbed by NGC or ANACS on a crossover

Will they?

Comments

• Options
    Ogden, no they wont because they will not remove the coin from the holder unless they have determined it will cross.
  • Options
    I ask this because I sent a coin to PCGS for Slabbing and they returned it for AT and another for cleaning. Went I sent them to ANACS they were graded and not with a net grade. As MS 61 Brown and MS62RB, both 55 DDO's. I don't get it. Now if I send it back to PCGS will they actually slab it, if in their opinion it grades higher, or would they refuse to grade it again.

Ogden
  • Options
    Ogden,

if PCGS thinks the coins are acceptable at the grades indicated in the current ANACS holders, they will cross them (it is possible that they will do so even though they previously no-graded them, though I wouldn't count on it). More likely, they will no-grade them again, though they may or may not recognize the coins. Either way, they will not crack them out unless they are going to grade them at least as high as the grades given by ANACS.
  • Options
    I would be very interested in the results of a "cross at any grade" submissions of those coins. It would be a great test of PCGS's consistency.

Also, I've heard stories of crossover bodybags when PCGS judged a coin as crossable then discovered a problem after cracking it out.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    I recently sent in a 1934 Washington PCGS MS65 to NGC to crossover as I prefer their holders. It came back still in its PCGS holder with a small sticker stating that NGC could not encapsulate the coin due to cleaning. Upon closer inspection, much to my dismay, they were right. Silly me for buying the holder rather than the coin.

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Ogden
    Sometimes it's a crapshoot. I know of toned coins that were submitted to PCGS and they were body bagged for questionable toning. The same coins were submitted to NGC and they were put into holders. The coins were then resubmitted to PCGS in Their NGC holders for crossover, and guess what They Crossed.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    though they may or may not recognize the coins

Coinguy, I have a question for you. As a grader, were there instances you can recall where you recognized a coin as one that had previously crossed your desk as part of another submission? Or, after looking at coins day in and day out, do they all blend together so that you wouldn't recognized the same coin even if you'd just looked at it 5 minutes before? Just curious.
    Matt
  • Options
    coinguy, you can tell them to cross at any grade!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Oops, beryl already mentioned it, I guess I should have read farther!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Hi Matt,

In answer to your question :

"Coinguy, I have a question for you. As a grader, were there instances you can recall where you recognized a coin as one that had previously crossed your desk as part of another submission? Or, after looking at coins day in and day out, do they all blend together so that you wouldn't recognized the same coin even if you'd just looked at it 5 minutes before? Just curious.

There were many instances where I recognized coins as previous submissions. For example, there was a high relief that must have been resubmitted 20 times or more within a year year time period. It had a small but distinguishing characteristic and we kept grading it MS64. I don't know if one person owned it all of that time or if it traded hands and different people kept resubmitting it. I guess whoever owned it figured the potential profit in an upgrade made all of the fees worth it. He or they were VERY wrong in that case, however!

There were numerous other coins that I recognized because of their rarity, unusual color pattern, identifying mark or some other feature. I even remembered a few coins that I had handled in the uncertified days, years before going to work at NGC. The more generic looking the coin, the less likely it will be recognized. The more unusual the coin (whether it be due to rarity or a specific identifying feature), the more likely it will be recognized.
  • Options
    wallstreetman,

I was aware that you can ask for a crossover at any grade. However, I didn't think that was necesarily pertinent in a case where PCGS had previoulsy no-graded the coins. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thats very interesting Mark. I guess some people just don't know when to give up! Thanks for the answer.
    Matt
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Crossovers don't get bodybagged. If one gets cracked and then bagged, then it becomes a customer service issue, but I've never heard of this occurring, nor have I ever had it happen to any crossover I've submitted.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had crossovers bagged before, but since I broke them out of the old holders before submitting them, they were regular submissions and not actually crossovers, to PCGS' eyes. In retrospect, I probably should have done the "cross at any grade" thing. I imagine if I had, the coins with "issues" would probably have remained in their original holders and not crossed.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file