Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Jar of 900 pennies 1900-1940"........

This is what an estate sale is listing for sale this saturday in my area. That and the normal "rare" silver dollars and proof sets. The sale is from an old retired couple that are liquidating their assests. I know most stuff at auctions goes high but I thought I would give it a try and see.(the last sale I was at circ modern halves were going for $2 apiece, Russ?) What should I bid? I was thinking if visually inspecting the jar that all of the cents appear to fall withing the dates given, that I would bid $90 + $1 for each indian that I see in the jar. I figured I couldn't go wrong doing that. IF there were 100 indian heads in it, that would be $190 for the coins. Of course I am assuming that there are no key dates in the jar. What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure what a good bid should be, but your approah sounds pretty good to me. I'd like to know what you think of the auction after it is over, especailly if you get the coins.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    By virtue of the fact that they know the number of coins and the date range, I would agree that you're not going to find any keys or high grade coins in there (i.e. they have already been removed). Unless you can determine that the coins are in at least G-4 condition, I would only bid about 1/2 to 1/3 of what your proposing.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts.... After looking up wheat penny hoards on Ebay I think I'm way under what I should be. hehe Not!

I'll post what the final bid was.
  • Options
    I suck, was an hour late for the coin part of the auction and the jar of pennies went for $28. Damn.
  • Options
    ouch. It's like going out with your family to dinner, having a few drinks, feeling good, and realizing you forgot about an auction on ebay you needed to fill an album. DOH!!!

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file