Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I could not resist ... whaddaya think? UPDATED

Well, I'm sitting here with some money burning a hole in my pocket (and I'm sure as @#%^&**+@! not going to put it in the market at the moment) and I could not resist the following BIN at $30 per coin. An added $15 each for grading and I do not see much, if any, down side. But, this would have brought in one darn nice Jeff proof I could use. Oh well ... As a plus, I never have been less than 110 percent pleased with any of the coins I have bought from Jeff. He has a great eye ... All opinions, including critical, welcomed:

1954-63 Proof Franklins

Update: Among Jeff's other faults, he is quick. The coins arrived today and I am pleased. As he described, the 54 should CAM (likely as a 65, a few hairlines keep it from higher); the 55 is exceptionally clean (66?) and a no-doubt CAM to my eye. Unmentioned in Jeff's description, the 56 is a beauty that could well CAM; and the 61 he mentioned as a near DCAM sure appears DCAM to me, as high as 66/67. As a bonus, the 62 has the heaviest obverse DCAM ... and then hardly a trace on the reverse. Makes you long for the days of ANACS' split obverse/reverse grading!

The other coins likely are about 66s with varying degrees of CAM contrast, but not likely to win the designation from PCGS. I need to study them further, but 9 of the 10 appear submission-worthy. The '59 has amazing luster, but a big milkspot smack in the middle of Ben's head and other more subtle milk spot flyspecking. And, perhaps the Franklin proof experts can advise if I am learning a few lessons, but the portion of the collar beneath the date can be make/break on CAM designations? Overall, a darn good buy, with the likelihood that a couple of decently graded coins will cover the cost of the entire lot. Will ship them out to Newport Beach soon and let you know how they come back. Thanks for your time!

(P.S. Unexpected bonus: My better half is tickled to see something besides nickels arrive!)

Comments

• Options
    Very nice!!!!! I'm jealous I didn't spot that auction as it looks like you got a good deal. You'll have to post some more information once they arrive, so we can drool!!!image
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Try asbestos pants image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about Franklins, but you bought them from a seller who has some of the best stuff, AND stands behind what he sells. I bought a 1964 all cameo'd proof set from him a while ago, and when I got it the Kennedy was hairlined to hell. I eMailed him, and within an hour I had a response, and within a couple days, a replacement coin.

I also bought my 1971 PR68DCAM from him, and I've never seen a better one in all the coins I've checked.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Thanks! I promise an appraisal when the coins arrive and grades after submitted to PCGS. But, I am a beginner at proof Franklins. Based on a PR-67 '55 (with a nice hint of CAM) I had, I sent in equally nice 56 Type 2 and 58 (and this coin was a tad better than the slabbed 55) and both received 66s! Could be a victim of the tight-as-a ... grading PCGS is handing out recently. We shall see...

Russ, you are right. Jeff is top shelf all the way. I have asked him about a few Jeff proofs he had that looked darn nice as CAMS and he outright tells you they won't make CAM at PCGS, but would at NGC. He's a good seller ... you hang onto them...
  • Options
    Hmmmm, Placid, are you suggesting I got burned?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    No, to stop from getting holes burned in your pockets.

They look like nice coins image
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification, Placid. Well, you know, I have been a good boy for years putting cash into my 401-K etc., and laying off coins I really wanted. I figure I cannot do any worse with coins. Thankfully, I do not need my market investment money for retirement for another 23 years. So ... I came into some cash recently (lost my 20 year job due to a downsizing and received a nice chunk of severance cash, but landed another job at same money without ever losing a day of work) and I decided to take part of it and have some fun. And, to me, that is coins ... image
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    GOOD LUCK,will be looking for the out come,nise coins.
    NUMO
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    You can't beat that deal with a stick, I think. They look really nice and some may grade very well. The best thing is, no matter what, you have an instant, nicely matched group of proofs of a great coin. (For the registry, we anticipate. . . .)

And I agree heartily, Jeff Werlin is aces.

Congrats!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    ttt with promised update for those interested ... my apologies to those who are not! image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a frosty buncha Frankies, fer sure! Some of those certainly do look almost DCAM to me (far from an expert on the topic).

Compare those to this 1956 PCGS PR67 DCAM in my swapping stock, then consider the fact that that one certified coin cost me more than 2/3 of what that whole set of raw coins cost you. I got a little more frost, maybe, but not much. And there's one tiny bit of haze on my coin, though most of the stuff you see in that lousy picture is in on the plastic, not the coin.

I'd say you did pretty well. I can think of few things that are as stunning on a coin as CAM or DCAM contrast. Only pretty, pastel-colored, evenly-distributed target toning would come close, in my book.

CAM and DCAM contrast is even purtier on a Barber half... image

(And a Seated half, but I haven't gotten that far yet!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've dealt with Jeff for years now and have received nothing short of exceptional coins and service. He is a true expert in cameo coins from 1936-1970, and apparently has one of the finest sources for early proof sets than most. I was looking at that lot myself, I think you will be happy with them once they arrive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file